blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:24:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  blonde NFL Fantasy League 2019/20
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 ... 383 Go Down Print
Author Topic: blonde NFL Fantasy League 2019/20  (Read 611873 times)
jek187

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: September 01, 2012, 11:18:32 AM »

Hi Jek,

We start 1qb, 1rb, 2wr  1te, 1 flex of any of those positions. We reduced the rb's picked this season and took the total players in a team down from 9 to 8.

I guessed I wouldn't get any of the top players in other positions( I could have taken Jones at wr instead) but thought the two TE there to fill the flex and then 1 rb and a wr with the next two picks was ok.Did I make a mistake in that format taking the two TE first?

I think the rest of the league took their rb's early, there were a lot of 2 rb 2wr openings to fill the rb wr flex positions. Would a TE and say Jones there and then looking for Gates around round 4 have been better. I drafted it last week but I have another one this weekend that  is an 11 man starting team with only 3 bench players, that league includes a DL and a LB too. If you have any gems in those positions I would appreciate it along with your thoughts on only taking 3 sub players.

cheers

Oh wow, I didn't realize your flex allowed for QBs. That changes everything. Here's why:
Before looking into the flex, this 14 team league will have its top 14 QBs as starters, its top 14 RBs as starters, its top 28 WRs as starters, and its top 14 TEs as starters. So, to decide what position we want in the flex, we just need to look at who'll score the most points out of the remaining players. These players are QB15, RB15, WR29, and TE15. My projections put them at 217, 164, 127, and 87 respectively. The QB is obviously the huge winner here. How far down the QB list do we have to go for a QB to score less than 164 (that's RB15)? I have QB27 at 166, QB28 at 157. Since we only need 14 more players to fill the flex position across the whole league, theoretically that's 13 QBs and 1 RB. However, I think in practical terms, that this league is essentially a start 2 QB league.

So, how to adjust for this exact league setting? Well, QBs are hugely more valuable. Off the top of my head, the top 7 players on my board would all be QBs. Having 2 top QBs in this league would be a dominant force. So yes, I'd take Michael Vick ahead of Arian Foster, weird as that sounds.

Now, what about the other positions? Well, first off, it's weird that the league only starts 1 RB, while starting 2 WRs. This has the effect of devaluing RBs somewhat. I'd still prefer Foster to Tron or Graham, but not by much. My top 6 non-QBs would probably look like: Foster, Tron, Graham, Rice, Gronk, Shady. Without actually setting up my spreadsheet for a draft in this format, I'd roughly say that RBs, WRs, and TEs, all have approximately equal value. However, QBs dwarf them all. If I was making an overall value board for this league, I'd have the 7 QBs up front, then the 6 elite positional players I mentioned, but along with them, I'd probably intersperse another handful of QBs. Make no mistake about it, this league is all about QBs. Get 2 stud QBs and you win. Hoard them. If you roster 4, and a couple other teams do that, some teams won't have starters on their bye weeks. And an injury could leave a team lacking one, forcing them to start some RB/WR/TE that will "always" be inferior to a QB.

This situation differs so much from our league, because our league requires 2 TEs. You do not want to be the guy who has to trot out Anthony Fasano and his 4PPG every week in your TE2 position. In your league though, the likes of Fasano won't sniff a roster. Meanwhile though, guys like Joe Flacco are hot commodities in your league because even mediocre QBs like that still hold value to start in the flex position, because even a mediocre QB will outscore all but the very best RBs, and WRs/TEs can't hope to compete. Even Tron will likely come up short vs. a mediocre QB.

As far as your 3-man bench league goes, my advice to you would be to not do it. Tongue Just sounds like a terrible format. Failing that, just remember that you have to devalue guys who are hurt/suspended/holding out (Mathews, Mo-Jo, etc). Each bench spot is very valuable, and once you get to bye weeks, you may need all of them to field a complete lineup without having to cut any of your starters. For the love of god, don't roster an extra K, D, IDP, or TE. A 2nd QB is also probably a no-go as well. You basically have to think of your bench players as entirely expendable, as you'll need those spots to occasionally bench your starters for when they get hurt or have terribad match-ups. Speaking of match-ups, don't be afraid to just play match-ups the whole year at QB if you don't end up with an elite one. I don't really follow IDPs, so can't give any decent advice there, except I know Patrick Willis is a beast. But other than just a couple guys, just treat them like the replaceable commodities they are.

"Hello Jek, loving your Posts, though I can't pretend to undersatand a word of then. Fun to read though, & I go cross-eyed working them out."
-- tikay 8/31/12
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: September 01, 2012, 11:43:55 AM »

Yup, my thoughts exactly.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: September 01, 2012, 11:49:42 AM »

This situation differs so much from our league, because our league requires 2 TEs. You do not want to be the guy who has to trot out Anthony Fasano and his 4PPG every week in your TE2 position.

Very subtle! 

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: September 01, 2012, 12:50:31 PM »

Cheers Jek, I had the thought that late bye weeks and bye week management  in the draft with only 3 bench spots was very important. I might try to get a decent squad I can use for around half a season without byes if they don't get too banged up. From there I guess it will be a free for all each week to cover the spots you need if injuries bite.

The first league was 1 qb 1 rb 2 wr 1 te and a flex from the rb, wr and te, sorry about the misleading post, I missed out the most important word in it.

thanks for the posts too, its going to be a fascinating league with your input.

cheers

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: September 02, 2012, 10:26:57 AM »

If you've not yet had your NFL fill, I've now set up 3 private leagues on ESPN's Pickem and Eliminator games.  Hoping to get a few more entries than last year, and this should appeal to the bettors out there!  Horneris bossed this last season, but there's enough talent on this forum to make this a really fun competition.

The 3 games are:

Pickskin Pickem - Straight:  A straightforward prediction game, just pick the winner of each game.
Pigskin Pickem - Spread: As above, but with a spread (i.e. one team is handicapped against the other).  Good practice if you like to bet in real-life, as chances are you'll be doing it against a spread.
Eliminator - Bit like the Last Man Standing football comp - pick one winner each week.  Get one wrong and you're out.

Happy to do it for bragging rights only, so anyone can join and play for free.  Optional entry fee of $20 for each if you fancy playing for money.

Links to the games are below.  Create an entry for each (you have to create a straight and a spread entry in Pigskin Pickem to play both versions) and then use the search function or the links to find the leagues as follows:

http://games.espn.go.com/nfl-pigskin-pickem/en/

http://games.espn.go.com/nfl-eliminator-challenge/en/

blondepoker - Straight     http://games.espn.go.com/nfl-pigskin-pickem/en/group?groupID=17206

blondepoker - Spread       http://games.espn.go.com/nfl-pigskin-pickem/en/group?groupID=17208

blondepoker - Eliminator     http://games.espn.go.com/nfl-eliminator-challenge/en/group?groupID=6939

Password is tikay for everything.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 10:30:18 AM by Sheriff Fatman » Logged

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: September 02, 2012, 10:38:31 AM »

One additional twist to make this more interesting is to throw the above open to the guys in the Double Line Up league run by jek to create a UK vs US element to it.  It might help boost the numbers and I can sort out entry fees from their side with Jek, given that Stars isn't an option for them (i.e. he can collect funds from those guys and get them to me).

I really want this to run with decent numbers this year, and we could maybe drag in a few other blondes who don't play the fantasy league, but do bet on NFL (e.g. redarmi).

The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: September 02, 2012, 12:01:39 PM »

Newbie question number 1.

Do you get rec stats for your kr?

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: September 02, 2012, 12:09:31 PM »

Newbie question number 1.

Do you get rec stats for your kr?

No, no returning yardage counts in the scoring at all.

Defense and return TDs score 6 points though, same as all other TDs (this isn't standard, but I added it in as it bugs me when a TD in a game doesn't get any credit).

Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: September 02, 2012, 12:11:16 PM »

Details on all the scoring in this league are here:

http://blondepoker.league.fantasy.nfl.com/league/463186/settings

Nakor
Tinca Tinca

Serve the spider

View Profile WWW
« Reply #339 on: September 03, 2012, 10:46:49 AM »

If you've not yet had your NFL fill, I've now set up 3 private leagues on ESPN's Pickem and Eliminator games.  Hoping to get a few more entries than last year, and this should appeal to the bettors out there!  Horneris bossed this last season, but there's enough talent on this forum to make this a really fun competition.

The 3 games are:

Pickskin Pickem - Straight:  A straightforward prediction game, just pick the winner of each game.
Pigskin Pickem - Spread: As above, but with a spread (i.e. one team is handicapped against the other).  Good practice if you like to bet in real-life, as chances are you'll be doing it against a spread.
Eliminator - Bit like the Last Man Standing football comp - pick one winner each week.  Get one wrong and you're out.

Happy to do it for bragging rights only, so anyone can join and play for free.  Optional entry fee of $20 for each if you fancy playing for money.

Links to the games are below.  Create an entry for each (you have to create a straight and a spread entry in Pigskin Pickem to play both versions) and then use the search function or the links to find the leagues as follows:

http://games.espn.go.com/nfl-pigskin-pickem/en/

http://games.espn.go.com/nfl-eliminator-challenge/en/

blondepoker - Straight     http://games.espn.go.com/nfl-pigskin-pickem/en/group?groupID=17206

blondepoker - Spread       http://games.espn.go.com/nfl-pigskin-pickem/en/group?groupID=17208

blondepoker - Eliminator     http://games.espn.go.com/nfl-eliminator-challenge/en/group?groupID=6939

Password is tikay for everything.

In all 3 for the crack - not sure I am going to make a financial investment against Mr End and Mr Consistant though.

Shit post Nakor, such a clown.

What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: September 05, 2012, 11:05:46 PM »

Do lineups for week 1 have to be finalised by tonight or by Sunday kickoff?

Think I'm going to bench Rodgers for one week only!

LeKnave

the end of days...

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: September 05, 2012, 11:07:03 PM »

A player gets locked in, if they are in your line up and the game time has started.  Can move ppl that havn't played around until kick off's.
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: September 05, 2012, 11:10:00 PM »

A player gets locked in, if they are in your line up and the game time has started.  Can move ppl that havn't played around until kick off's.

Thanks Dave.

The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: September 09, 2012, 06:19:20 PM »

[ ] Subbing Rodgers for Cutler seems like a good idea at this time