blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:29:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The unofficial Book Thread which doesn't look as good but was here first
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The unofficial Book Thread which doesn't look as good but was here first  (Read 13650 times)
rex008

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2011, 04:05:45 PM »

Any travel writing readers got any recommendations?

Done most of the usual suspects. Bryson, Theroux, Dalrymple etc

Not quite travel but I was just reminded of the book where Tony Hawksins hitch hikes around Ireland with a fridge (which I believe is the title) which was very good

fyp

And yes, I'd agree. Makes you realise that Laxie isn't the only one in Ireland like that Smiley.

Tony Hawks did a good one with Norman Wisdom as well - One Hit Wonderland, which is very funny and touching.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams
The secret to a happy life - "Never pass up a chance to have sex or appear on television." - Gore Vidal
Tonji
They got a name for all the winners in the world. I want a name when I lose.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2011, 05:41:23 PM »

Cheers guys, already read all of them  Smiley

http://www.photonet.org.uk/

mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2011, 07:52:20 PM »

The good think about the Frank Skinner book is that as you read it, you can just imagine him doing every word as a stand up routine, so if you like him as a stand up, its a great read.

Slightly "off-topic" from Book Reviews, but last year, Frank Skinner did an astonishinghly good, & revealing, Desert Island Discs, in which he spoke openly about all manner of oddities, including, incongrously it seemed to me, his love of Opera.

I'm sure it will be available on i-Player or whatever the Radio 4 version is. Well worth a listen.

Saw him do an equally surprising interview, cant remember where, talking about his Christianity.

Oh, and also, did anyone ever see his documentary about his shirt which he believed was owned by Elvis, and at the end he finds out it wasn't, that was great.

Yeah I watched that, was good.
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2011, 09:33:45 PM »

Anyone read any of the following:

- Man and Boy (I think it's my favourite book - amazing read but it was quite a few years ago now that I read it). I think it's by Tony Parsons.

Yes, loved it too, brilliant book

Currently starting Game of Thrones.   Program was excellent so thought I'd start the books.

sovietsong

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2011, 10:49:12 PM »

Got the reading bug back this summer after a lot of years of almost never reading for entertainment. So far I've read:

Life and Laughing - Michael McIntylre autobiograpy. Really funny and a very interesting story

Sh*t My Dad Says - Justin Halpern - Never read a book that made me laugh out loud until this one

Devilfish Autobiography - Really cool story about how he made it to the top. Mentions a lot of people and places that you'll recognise if you've played much live in the north of England

Confessions of a GP - Benjamin Daniels - Very interesting insight into what the job is like, very entertaining read and funny in parts too

The Confession - John Grisham - I really like his style of writing and intent to read pretty much all of his crime/legal drama books

The Street Lawyer - Another John Grisham book based on a hotshot lawyer than gets held hostage by a homeless guy ends up jacking in his six figure salary to work for homeless rights. Highly recommend this one

Love John Grisham, can anybody recommend any similar types of author?

In the category of Funniest Poster I nominate sovietsong. - mantis 21/12/2012
Tonji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2011, 11:49:03 PM »

Got the reading bug back this summer after a lot of years of almost never reading for entertainment. So far I've read:

Life and Laughing - Michael McIntylre autobiograpy. Really funny and a very interesting story

Sh*t My Dad Says - Justin Halpern - Never read a book that made me laugh out loud until this one

Devilfish Autobiography - Really cool story about how he made it to the top. Mentions a lot of people and places that you'll recognise if you've played much live in the north of England

Confessions of a GP - Benjamin Daniels - Very interesting insight into what the job is like, very entertaining read and funny in parts too

The Confession - John Grisham - I really like his style of writing and intent to read pretty much all of his crime/legal drama books

The Street Lawyer - Another John Grisham book based on a hotshot lawyer than gets held hostage by a homeless guy ends up jacking in his six figure salary to work for homeless rights. Highly recommend this one

Love John Grisham, can anybody recommend any similar types of author?

Michael Connelly wrote a series of legal thriller novels, The Lincoln Lawyer was the first of them. All pretty good imo.

John Lescroart also a good crime/legal thriller writer.

http://www.photonet.org.uk/

thetank

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2011, 03:05:07 AM »

Reading James Joyce at the moment. Ulysses gets plaudits aplenty for all the modernism and pioneering the stream of conciousness technique and all that. All well and good, what I'm interested in is that they used txt speak at the beginning of the 20th century.

KMA is Kiss my arse and KMRIA is Kiss my Royal Irish arse.

Both would make for fine editions to any teenagers arsenal. They can stand next to ROFL and GTFO and do very nicely.

The other thing I like about Ulysses is that it offers a very fine counter example to call upon if you ever meet a prig who claims that there's no need for sweary words and that people who use them just do so because they don't have sufficient vocabulary to express themselves.

Ulysses famously uses a lexicon of 30,030 different words in the book. Had it only been 30,023 the work would not be improved for it's lack of fuck balls shit arse piss and grey sunken *****. Possibly of greater importance, the English language itself would be the lesser if we didn't have the exclamation "Shite and onions, life is too short"

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2011, 03:10:27 AM »

Oh, it automatically starred out the c word. Thankyou forum. We can sleep easily in our beds now that we're shielded from such raw badness.

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2011, 06:39:30 AM »

Oh, it automatically starred out the c word. Thankyou forum. We can sleep easily in our beds now that we're shielded from such raw badness.

lol, piss and beans, life is way too short

sola virtus nobilitat
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2011, 08:13:11 AM »

Smiley

Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2011, 12:12:52 PM »

Reading James Joyce at the moment. Ulysses gets plaudits aplenty for all the modernism and pioneering the stream of conciousness technique and all that. All well and good, what I'm interested in is that they used txt speak at the beginning of the 20th century.

KMA is Kiss my arse and KMRIA is Kiss my Royal Irish arse.

Both would make for fine editions to any teenagers arsenal. They can stand next to ROFL and GTFO and do very nicely.

There was something on the BBC a bit ago saying about how all the telegraph operators in the Victorian era used to chat to each other in txt speak when they didn't have any work to do - none of the examples they gave were as good as KMA or KMRIA though.

Although it isn't as good - I'd recommend Dubliners for after Ulysses (I'd actually recommend it before Ulysses but you've spoiled that unless you've already read Dubliners before).

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2011, 12:43:43 PM »

Yeah I've buggered that up but I'll get on to the Dubliners at some point.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 02:01:32 PM by thetank » Logged

bhoywonder

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2011, 11:59:49 AM »

Currently reading foundation by Isaac asimov....totally hooked...

may your god go with you

Scottish Open Apat online gold medal winner 2008
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2011, 01:42:33 PM »

They're well good. Remember reading them when I were a lad.

DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2011, 10:10:45 AM »

Currently reading Derren Browns book Tricks of the Mind, where he reveals many of his own tricks as well as discusses things like belief, paranormal stuff, cold readers etc

hooked, Ive already learned a new way to memorize things that I will use for the rest of my life. Its also quite funny.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: