blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2024, 07:22:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272772 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Fit blondes in Berlin
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 ... 40 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fit blondes in Berlin  (Read 83889 times)
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 03, 2011, 02:08:09 PM »

I've got a confession to make.  I fibbed a bit in my last post.  Before I clear it all up I'm going to explain why.  When I first decided I was going to do this and started telling people, the reaction was mostly positive and encouraging.  There have, however, been a range of other responses ranging from laughter (from people who assumed I was joking) to outright 'you'll never do it', 'you'll collapse' etc.  That's fine - those people have actually made me more determined to do it than anything.

So, when I set out last Sunday for my first half hour run/walk and found it much harder than I expected I started to doubt myself.  I didn't get it done (as I said I had).  Well I did, but not to the letter.  I ran for five minutes.  After the end of those five minutes, as documented, I started feeling a lot of pain in my ankles/achilles which didn't let up until after I'd finished - even the walking parts were really quite tough.  By the time I got to the last five minutes of running I couldn't sustain it - instead I just ran for two minutes, walked a bit more, then maybe ran another 1 minute.  I didn't want to come back and post that on here because I could imagine as an outsider reading that it would look like I was already failing.  Privately, I wasn't disheartened though - I was pleased with what I'd done, and continue to be so.  So, from now on, it's warts and all honesty.

My inner thighs ached for two days after that first bout - a stark reminder of how unfit I really am.

I went out for my second session on Wednesday evening.  Again, the pain around the ankles kicked in after the first five minutes but, other than that, I comfortably managed the whole 5+5x3.  I started out along the same route but had to detour a bit at the end as I was covering more distance than the first time.  So on Sunday I covered 2.2 miles, and on Wednesday 2.4.  Quite remarkably (I thought anyway) I didn't suffer with any aching at all following that session.  It reallly is quite amazing how quickly the body can adapt from years of intertia to becoming relatively fit.

Today I did my third and final session of the week - same again.  This time it wasn't until part way through the second 5 minutes of jogging that I started feeling it in my ankles and it wasn't nearly as bad as previously - just a kind of mild ache.  Got through the whole thing pretty comfortably and covered a distance of 2.8 miles.

To most people I'm sure these seem like tiny improvements and achievements but to me they feel massive. Although there's a hell of a lot of work still to do and a long way to go, I feel bloody proud of myself Smiley
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 02:11:18 PM by Claw75 » Logged

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: December 03, 2011, 02:16:40 PM »

Claire. It doesn't matter in the slightest how little you can do at first, just keep it up and you are guaranteed to improve.

The biggest danger is over doing it in the beginning. That's the mistake that most people make.

When I first started jogging last Christmas I couldn't run 100 yds, but I managed to build it up to 3 miles or so over a period of a few weeks.

Just keep doing it and be proud.

The older I get, the better I was.
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 03, 2011, 02:19:47 PM »

The biggest danger is over doing it in the beginning. That's the mistake that most people make.

I can see how easy it is to fall into this trap - it's quite addictive.  On Thursday I had to pop over to see someone a mile or so away. Instead of walking I considered trying to run the whole way and back again (in addition to the planned schedule) but had to talk myself out of it.  Discipline and avoiding injuries ftw.

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 03, 2011, 02:45:25 PM »

Yep. gatters deffo has a start in the big head stakes.

sigh

I've got nothing of interest to post on here at the moment, got a niggly calf so mostly resting it atm as I've got the bedford half marathon next sunday and want to be fit for that

have only done one 10 miler in the last 9 days. might do a 5k race tomorrow but will decide on that last minute, depends how the leg feels when I wake up

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 03, 2011, 03:15:05 PM »

Question for the experts...

Is it possible for claw to get prepared fully for a full marathon, basically starting from scratch, or would half marathons be better prep? Apologies if this is the plan and I have missed it somewhere.

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 03, 2011, 03:21:28 PM »

Question for the experts...

Is it possible for claw to get prepared fully for a full marathon, basically starting from scratch, or would half marathons be better prep? Apologies if this is the plan and I have missed it somewhere.

take a look at the link to the amazon page for the book gatso lent me.  that is a 16 week training plan that can get anyone who can run 3 miles to complete a marathon (but without any time goals or anything).  Obv got much longer than 16 weeks to prepare.  My first goal is a half marathon at the end of May.

are you asking coz you fancy joining us?

celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 03, 2011, 07:57:24 PM »

lolz, can you imagine me running a marathon?

no, i was asking, just cos I was wondering if what you are attempting is out of the ordinary. Half marathon before will help obv.

Oh, and I think you're mad Smiley but gl tho.

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 03, 2011, 08:11:22 PM »

Keep the updates coming Claire. Other peoples self discipling type projects really interest me.

Good luck BTW.

thank you, I will.  another post coming in a minute.  I wish the others would post too though - feel like i'm monopolising what's supposed to be a group thread (but I guess the others have a big head start on me Cheesy)

Good point - should try and see how other people are doing

I'm in!!!

How's your training going Joobz?

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Joobie538

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 03, 2011, 08:15:35 PM »

Keep the updates coming Claire. Other peoples self discipling type projects really interest me.

Good luck BTW.

thank you, I will.  another post coming in a minute.  I wish the others would post too though - feel like i'm monopolising what's supposed to be a group thread (but I guess the others have a big head start on me Cheesy)

Good point - should try and see how other people are doing

I'm in!!!

How's your training going Joobz?

i have spent the last 2 weeks carb loading (fat and sugar loading too)  i should be ready to run soon Smiley

Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 03, 2011, 08:18:11 PM »

lolz, can you imagine me running a marathon?

about as much as I could imagine me running one a couple of months ago!

gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 03, 2011, 09:58:34 PM »

I'd say that if you're willing to follow a training plan then 6 months is plenty to go from a complete non-runner to running a marathon. less is doable but not ideal and I'd certainly not recommend it, more is just a brucie bonus

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: December 04, 2011, 10:13:52 AM »

Also, a half marathon is usually part of the 16 week programme for a marathon, so you are doing a half before you do the full 26 miles.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 04, 2011, 01:22:30 PM »

just to keep claw happy I'll update

decided to do the 5k race today but figured I'd just jog it, go for about 21:30 just to test out my leg

that plan sure went well, ended up with another 2nd place and a 19:26. I'm rubbish at just going slowly though I did hold back a bit and made sure to just do enough to keep clear of the guy in 3rd place

now having a week of rest before doing the bedford half next sunday

Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 04, 2011, 01:26:35 PM »

well done gatso.  tempted to make a jason herbert joke but don't think it'd go down too well.

I've got a bit of a manic week ahead so going to be a bit of a juggling act to fit in my required three sessions, so, straight into it today with 10 min jog/5 min walk x 2.

gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 04, 2011, 01:36:11 PM »

herbie joke please

gl with the 10min jog

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 ... 40 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: