blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2024, 06:47:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272772 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Fit blondes in Berlin
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 ... 40 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fit blondes in Berlin  (Read 83884 times)
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: December 18, 2011, 03:44:50 PM »

really good session today.  Must be the first time I've run for 15 minutes in one go since school - and I did it twice!  Slightly more challenging than a walk in the park, but really enjoyed it and actually didn't want to stop when it was time. 

Had a good long chat with my dad on the phone this afternoon too.  He lives out in Spain and we don't get to catch up much barring the odd chat on facebook.  Similar to me, he decided, back in his mid 30s, to get off his arse and get fit:  ran a couple of marathons, progressed on to triathlons  then spent several years working as a fitness instructor.  One thing I've realised since starting the training is that everyone's got different ideas about the 'right' way to do things, and for someone like me who basically knows nothing, all the conflicting input can be confusing.  Feeling much happier after my chat with my old man with where I am now, what I've achieved so far, and the road ahead Smiley

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
Girgy85

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 18, 2011, 03:54:07 PM »

Is it better for the training that you stop even if you feel you could carry on for longer?

Best poster Girgy IMO - Mantis

Girgy is my new hero! - Evilpie

Think Girgy has shown the best leopard instincts in this thread and would prob survive best in the wild. Eye of the tiger that fella - Mantis

Girgy is a m'fkn machine - Daveshoelace
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 18, 2011, 03:57:50 PM »

Is it better for the training that you stop even if you feel you could carry on for longer?

I've got loads of time, and what I don't want to do is overdo it early doors and risk pushing myself too far and potentially getting injured.  This morning was the first time I'd moved up to 15 minute bursts of running (each followed by 5 minutes walking), so to try to do more even though I felt like it had it in me probably wouldn't have been the best idea.  Next week it'll be 20/5/20/5, followed by 25/5, and the week after I should be continuously running for 30 mins.

Taking it easy and being sensible ftw

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 18, 2011, 06:20:50 PM »

Very much so, overtraining can be worse than undertraining for a couple of reasons

Firstly there's the risk of injury especially early on when the body isn't used to the new range of movements

And then there's the problem of fatigue which is very difficult to spot but will affect your training massively. Most people won't notice they're fatigued unless they stop exercising for some reason and will just train through it only the training will be nowhere near as effective as it should be

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 19, 2011, 08:38:32 PM »

Depends on the person, some people just train better than others. I go REALLY slow for a week or two, as I always get bad DOMS to begin with. Then happily run 5-6 miles without any problems, or soreness, the next day.

As Gatso said, you feel fine when running but its in the following days when you find out if you have overdone it. Depends on your exercise experience too. Many, many moons ago I exercised and competed a lot, so have an awareness of what works and what doesn't, same for kinbo and Gatso I expect
Delboy

If you never let me go, I will never let you down.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: December 19, 2011, 08:48:58 PM »

I've got loads of time, and what I don't want to do is overdo it early doors and risk pushing myself too far and potentially getting injured.  This morning was the first time I'd moved up to 15 minute bursts of running (each followed by 5 minutes walking), so to try to do more even though I felt like it had it in me probably wouldn't have been the best idea.  Next week it'll be 20/5/20/5, followed by 25/5, and the week after I should be continuously running for 30 mins.

You're doing great Claire. Not only are you completing the required leg work, you're wanting more at the end.

Gatso's book seems to be working wonders, stick to what it says. As you say, you have plenty of time.

'Still we sing with our heroes thirty three rounds a minute'
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 19, 2011, 10:17:39 PM »

I've got loads of time, and what I don't want to do is overdo it early doors and risk pushing myself too far and potentially getting injured.  This morning was the first time I'd moved up to 15 minute bursts of running (each followed by 5 minutes walking), so to try to do more even though I felt like it had it in me probably wouldn't have been the best idea.  Next week it'll be 20/5/20/5, followed by 25/5, and the week after I should be continuously running for 30 mins.

You're doing great Claire. Not only are you completing the required leg work, you're wanting more at the end.

Gatso's book seems to be working wonders, stick to what it says. As you say, you have plenty of time.

thanks boss man Smiley

Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 10, 2012, 09:57:37 PM »

posting on here to give myself a kick up the arse.  apart from one run on new year's eve i've been a total couch potato since xmas.  back on it tomorrow - only 4.5 months til the 1/2 marathon so can't afford to slack off any longer.

MrsHopkino

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 17, 2012, 12:48:24 PM »

posting on here to give myself a kick up the arse.  apart from one run on new year's eve i've been a total couch potato since xmas.  back on it tomorrow - only 4.5 months til the 1/2 marathon so can't afford to slack off any longer.

WELL DONE!!!!! I'm proud of you!! keep the updates coming :-) Perhaps we should start a females gym thread.... though my exercises will include more classes rather than running!!

Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth.
BAM

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 20, 2012, 08:08:41 AM »

Berlin Marathon sold out on 8th December by the look of things

I thought this was my one out but thinboshi said try the charity places. So in a half hearted attempt to fail I chose a smaller one and didn't pledge a lot.

They phoned me yesterday I have a place sigh Sad

Please can someone chalk up flight dates hotels etc.

Oh and my running diary looks like Hopkins diary from last year.

celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 20, 2012, 08:10:50 AM »

Lol @ thinboshi. After years of trying bam finally makes me laugh.

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: January 20, 2012, 09:05:04 AM »

Lol @ thinboshi. After years of trying bam finally makes me laugh.

Mmm,thinboshi and celthic.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 20, 2012, 09:10:05 AM »

Haha. You weren't think thinny or thincent then?

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: January 20, 2012, 09:37:59 AM »

Haha. You weren't think thinny or thincent then?

Correct.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 20, 2012, 10:29:41 AM »

Berlin Marathon sold out on 8th December by the look of things

I thought this was my one out but thinboshi said try the charity places. So in a half hearted attempt to fail I chose a smaller one and didn't pledge a lot.

They phoned me yesterday I have a place sigh Sad

Please can someone chalk up flight dates hotels etc.

Oh and my running diary looks like Hopkins diary from last year.

Awesome

I will look at flights hotels next week.

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 ... 40 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: