blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 23, 2024, 08:51:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2273399 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Public Sector Strikes
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Public Sector Strikes  (Read 15760 times)
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 30, 2011, 11:52:07 PM »

i'm surprised there is no sympathy whatsoever for people who earn small salaries, do shit jobs that you wouldn't do and receive relatively poor pensions who are being told to take an effective 5% pay cut, pay another 5% more into their pensions, work for longer and receive less than they were promised.

I actually do agree that the contribution rise is excessive, a change to the retirement age to mirror the state pension age and a move to average salary benefits should be ok.  I think you've missed that lower paid workers aren't actually getting a contribution increase.
ACE2M

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 30, 2011, 11:52:23 PM »

Ace2m, what should the chancellor be doing different? Your answer cannot include reference to increasing the deficit/spending as that is not an option
me versus blonde apparently...  

I'll be honest, my time studying economics is a good few years in the past but to my view they are disobeying basic rules, forcing down gdp against a still rising or static deficit, which is what the ratings bodies measure you against, we go to far and we bring around a far bigger crisis , eurozone stylee.

i accept the need for deficit reduction but do it in a better climate as Gordon should have done before.

i am not a pie in the sky 'tax the rich' lefty btw, although i do think they should be taxed more!

« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 11:55:46 PM by ACE2M » Logged
neeko

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: December 01, 2011, 12:24:30 AM »

Some in the private sector have been loving the stike - seems they all went Xmas shopping.

There is no problem so bad that a politician cant make it worse.

http://www.dec.org.uk
ACE2M

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 01, 2011, 12:27:02 AM »

Some in the private sector have been loving the stike - seems they all went Xmas shopping.

sadly, that is true
neeko

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: December 01, 2011, 12:32:18 AM »

One thing i have never understood about strikes - how much pay to they lose?

1/220 or 1/365 of their annual base salary?

There is no problem so bad that a politician cant make it worse.

http://www.dec.org.uk
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: December 01, 2011, 09:19:19 AM »

Ace2m, what should the chancellor be doing different? Your answer cannot include reference to increasing the deficit/spending as that is not an option

I'll be honest, my time studying economics is a good few years in the past but to my view they are disobeying basic rules, forcing down gdp against a still rising or static deficit, which is what the ratings bodies measure you against, we go to far and we bring around a far bigger crisis , eurozone stylee.

i accept the need for deficit reduction but do it in a better climate as Gordon should have done before.

i am not a pie in the sky 'tax the rich' lefty btw, although i do think they should be taxed more!

So you're saying that they need to make these desicions but do it ten years from now when the economy might be better?

I am a "tax the rich" lefty FWIW, massively in favour of it TBH but something has to be done now.

To say that the desicion needs to be delayed until we have the same climate as the last guy, who massively F'ed up, has is something political parties have a nasty history of doing.
This is not a desicion that can be delayed. Retirement age has to go up. The public worker pension system is massively flawed and can't be sustained so has to change.

This is not just about deficit reduction, this is about making a change that is absolutely necessary.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 09:22:13 AM by boldie » Logged

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
Acidmouse

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 01, 2011, 09:25:47 AM »

The money they save from pensions will be used to pay off the country's debts not stay in the pension pot? Also more people wont bother taking a pension in the public sector workforce and just get more off the state when they retire.
ACE2M

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 01, 2011, 09:26:39 AM »

i accept the need for deficit reduction but do it in a better climate as Gordon should have done before.[/b

So you're saying that they need to make these desicions but do it ten years from now when the economy might be better?

How can the current plan possibly work? Destroying tax revenues and not cutting the deficit.
Tell me one thing that has been done so far that has had a positive impact on our situation? Everything gets worse qtr after qtr and you lot lap it up without question, think for yourselves.

Bongo

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 01, 2011, 09:40:58 AM »

Ahh yes, we're all sheep for not saying that something different should be done without a better plan...

Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?
Bongo

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 01, 2011, 09:42:53 AM »

The money they save from pensions will be used to pay off the country's debts not stay in the pension pot? Also more people wont bother taking a pension in the public sector workforce and just get more off the state when they retire.

I think there are a few things wrong there:
1) It won't pay off the debt, no one has any clue how we'll do that
2) There isn't really a pension pot
3) Bit of a gamble to assume the state will give them anything when they retire.

Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?
Acidmouse

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 01, 2011, 09:44:22 AM »

You wont get any benefits if you retire without a priv pension?
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: December 01, 2011, 09:48:36 AM »

i accept the need for deficit reduction but do it in a better climate as Gordon should have done before.[/b

How can the current plan possibly work? Destroying tax revenues and not cutting the deficit.
Tell me one thing that has been done so far that has had a positive impact on our situation? Everything gets worse qtr after qtr and you lot lap it up without question, think for yourselves.

How does this pension plan destroy tax revenues?

I do like to think for myself, which is why I have been saying for YEARS that Brown was a complete idiot and short-termist when every "expert" paraded in the media agreed that he was "the best chancellor ever had" and that "he oversaw the largest period of economic growth in the history of Brittain and was doing a grand job".
The pension plan has to go through, not because of the current economic situation but because of the one that is waiting for us 15-20 years from now.

Anyone who doesn't think the pension system needs a massive overhaul has completely lost the plot IMO.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 01, 2011, 09:49:39 AM »

A banker, a school teacher, a Tory mp and a member of the general public are all sat in a room with a table and a plate with ten biscuits on it....... The greedy banker eats 9 of the biscuits and the Tory mp turns to the member of the public and says "becareful of the school teacher, I reckon she is trying to nick your biscuit" Wink

What the?

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: December 01, 2011, 09:52:43 AM »

A banker, a school teacher, a Tory mp and a member of the general public are all sat in a room with a table and a plate with ten biscuits on it....... The greedy banker eats 9 of the biscuits and the Tory mp turns to the member of the public and says "becareful of the school teacher, I reckon she is trying to nick your biscuit" Wink

What the?

It's an old joke Bopkin...don't you understand? It's all the banker's fault that the pension pot has been in trouble for years.

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 01, 2011, 09:54:42 AM »

You wont get any benefits if you retire without a priv pension?

The plan is to have a flat rate £140 per week state pension and do away with benefits.  So if public sector ppl leave their scheme, they will just downgrade themselves from having a comfortable retirement to sitting at home waiting to die.  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: