blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:09:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Vegas Trip Information for anyone looking to go this year.
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 213 214 [215] 216 217 218 219 ... 407 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas Trip Information for anyone looking to go this year.  (Read 960728 times)
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #3210 on: June 10, 2015, 12:16:05 PM »

I forgot how much I like steak Cheesy

I never bother ordering it over here, but then in Vegas it seems "normal" people just eat wherever they happen to be when they get hungry.  I prefer to not do that and prolly eat in a steakhouse 4-5 times a week out there.  Ordering carefully, you can eat pretty well, and definitely a lot healthier and a lot tastier than just randomly piling in to the nearest food court.

Pretty much agree with all you say on the Steakhouses.

We went back to Circus Circus, following ten year hiatus, after barman in MGM recommended, and he was spot on. We even went back in the same fortnight. Great food and better value.

Tender always the best for me, love the service and the American way they describe the cuts and how it will be cooked etc.

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #3211 on: June 10, 2015, 01:21:11 PM »

I'll add Circusx2 to the list then for next trip.  I forgot about BillyBobs out at Sam'sTown too..... jeez I'd better book for a month next time!  But this is why I make an effort not to just randomly fill up in food courts or play evening tournaments... so always got a full appetite and 7 shots per week to pick these places off.

duncthehat
25 years married to a EU Citizen

View Profile
« Reply #3212 on: June 10, 2015, 05:33:48 PM »

I mentioned it before, but would recommend the bloc hotel gatwick.  Check out to sitting down to breakfast having checked in and gone through to the gate = 20 minutes.

Not sure I'd even pay the extra fiver for the window next time.  When with my wife I get 30 minutes to sit around waiting, was never happening when on my own.  Open blind, leave = 1 minute.

yeah do the bloc every time now.  No window room.  Excellent value

Fighting for EU Citizens Resident in the UK #RightToStay
tonytats

View Profile
« Reply #3213 on: June 10, 2015, 05:40:09 PM »

Did the flight along the strip in a helicopter at sunset Monday night
I can confirm its pretty spectacular cost £60 plus a $15 fuel surcharge
Well worth it
MLHMLH

View Profile
« Reply #3214 on: June 10, 2015, 08:57:40 PM »

Every Vegas steakhouse wot I has ever eaten at.

Over the years I've eaten at plenty of redic random ones that aren't singularly worth a mention, for example (ok I'm mentioning it I suppose, but only for example) http://www.rhythmkitchenlv.com/ where I doubt many people on here would be randomly driving past anytime soon, and certainly didn't merit a special trip.  No point in mentioning stuff that has since been demolished either...

The vast majority of these are going to give you a near identical standard of steak, most likely sourced from the same butcher (Pat Lefreida) and the only real differences are whether you want a rowdy nightclub steakhouse or dinner for 2 type ambience (for your stag party) and which salads/starters/sides you like the look of the most, possibly the wine list if you are really into your vino.

Starting on the Strip:

CHARLIE PALMERS (MB/4 Seasons/The Hotel/etc) tried it at the recommendation I think from MLHMLH off this board for their special price menu, was a really good deal, would go back for it.  Can't see any sign of it on the website now though, wouldn't make a special trip for full price, but was very decent.

STRIPSTEAK (MB) a steak lover's steakhouse, haven't been for a couple of years and haven't heard much about it recently, but it was clear everyone from the bus boy to the chef were passionate about their steaks.  Must go back at some point and try again.

TENDER (Luxor) Used to really like this in the old days, old fashioned service, wood and leather (not the steaks) then it went downhill when it got remodelled.  Glad I gave it another chance, last couple of visits have been pretty solid, don't bother ordering the game tasting tho Sad  Very inexpesnive wine list, easy to get a table when trendier places aren't and for the nits amongst you, also easy to apply a free $75 credit from MyVegas.com.  Not the best in town, but if you are in the area and hungry, certainly wouldn't put you off.

GALLAGHERS (NYNY) semi-rowdy, as it seemed there were a lot of people in there just drinking, meal was fine but nothing calling me back. 

CRAFTSTEAK (MGM) Very underwhelming.  Every visit it seems like the waiter has tried to put me in a full nelson in his attempt to get me to order Wagyu and not been impressed when I refused to tap out.  I actively try and avoid going here, if I get any input into the decision.  If someone else is in the chair..... I'll put up with it.

JEAN_GEORGES (Aria) Great steakhouse, one of those places where you can't get a table on the phone (it seems) but if you walk by and talk to someone earlier in the day, you always can.  Always on the short list, and a great choice for solo diners at the bar.  Last time waiter was a real prick, but I won't hold that against Aria.

BRAND (Monte Carlo) - perfectly fine, only been once though and there's not too much else at MC to pull me back in.

STK - (Cosmo)  Been in here twice now and not actually managed to order ;(  Both times due to people that think travelling the length of the strip on a Saturday night should only take 5 minutes.  It's pretty upbeat, menu looks great, perfect for part of a night out on the tiles.

STRIPHOUSE (PH) - My fav solo dining spot, great service at the bar.  The steaks come quite heavily seasoned, which I happen to like, the Romanoff potatoes are great.  Table service has been worse than bar service in my experience.

SMITH & WOLLENSKY - nothing wrong with it... but no reason to go back.

PRIME (Bellagio) - Has definite appeal as a table for 2 venue, fountain show is a very nice backdrop and its a 40s/50s style 'speakeasy' decor which I really like.  Not that much actual choice for steaks tho!  Very happy about getting taken here, less happy about paying for it.

BALLYS - Haven't been here since their heyday Sterling Brunch which was a great deal, as long as you weren't planning on doing anything until Tuesday.  Not even sure if it still exists, I doubt it would compete as a standalone steakhouse.

PALM (Forum shops) - great lunch deal.  Would not go back for full price.

OUTBACK - you know you are having a bad trip when you decide to eat here.... Budget of all budget steakhouse, was ok, but was like going to a "nice Harvester"

PHILS - TI  Pretty decent, also a decent hotel choice if you are playing Wynn/Venetian a lot.  Would happily go back, but in the "not worth a special trip to go there" category

DELMONICOS (V/P)  A really great pick for a decent lunch menu.  Evening service is really really good, a good choice for a group where a lot of people will want non-steak options.  Can get offered a 10pm table over the phone, or walk in at 8 and find they are empty and will seat you immediately.  Hate it when places do that.  Anyway, a really good dining experience, just not really a full-on steakhouse imo.

CUT (V/P) Really nice service, much more bustling brasserie feel than Delmonicos, likely to be quite spendy so make sure your credit card roulette form is decent.

MORELS (V/P) Had weekend brunch here, was fine, but nothing is pulling me back in to try the evening.

CARNEVINO (V/P) Used to be great.  Last couple of visits I've gone off it a lot.  Apparently they do an off the menu Riserva steak which is all the rage, not tried it.  Will probably swerve this place for a while, too many great alternatives in walking distance.

BOTERO (Encore) steakhouse with a .. work it out.  However, a table outside by the pool is a pretty good option if you want to be able to hear what anyone says.

SW (Wynn) Not sure about the frog.... Usually on the short list, rarely actually go. Can't put my finger on why, so I'll give it another go next visit.  It's a good choice if you have vegetarians/vegans in the group, as all Wynn restaurants cater for vegans.

CIRCUS CIRCUS - must have been 10 years since I last went.  One of the few places significantly cheaper than the rest.  Was surprisingly good too, I imagine they will have struggled to keep prices down and standards up, at the point where that doesn't happen, no point in going there.

GOLDEN STEER (Sahara jnctn) - very old school, took me a couple of changes of mind before finally going in.  Good if you like the super old-school, tableside preparation etc.  Not really cheap enough for what it is tho, but worth checking out once (but maybe not twice)

Off strip

Over the years, I decided to not line Steve Wynn's pockets any more than I needed to and went searching for great deals off strip.  However, I can't find any!  Lots of perfectly decent steakhouses, but all surprisingly close to strip steakhouse prices, so not a big reason to go there.  If you have rented a car, it is definitely easier to get a table off strip than on it, but not really worth the cab fare.

Mortons/Flemings/Del Friscos are chains to some degree or other, but as they aren't present over here, I certainly don't mind going in them, all solid meals and if you really do your homework, some really great happy hour opportunities.

Ruths Chris I consider to be an off-strip choice, as they always had 2 locations off strip.  Now they are back in somewhere around Harrahs on strip, but I don't care anyway as I doubt I'll ever go back.  If you do, and you don't want your steak to be doing backstroke in butter when it arrives, best mention it to the server.

Capital Grille is I suppose on strip as part of FSM.  I only give it a mention as in theory it opens all day, so if you get KO'd at 4pm and want good steak, it is one of the few options that don't just open for dinner.  I say in theory, as last time I tried it, they were firmly shut.

N9NE (Palms) Rowdiest steakhouse ever.  OK for a stag night, not a good choice to get down on one knee and propose. 

RIO - don't do it.

Downtown

HUGOS (4QUEENS) - long standing fav from Binions WSOP days.  Quality has gone down a notch or two tbf, but always enjoy eating here.  Salad cart/spuds+veg/sorbet/dessert all included, so if you know you are definitely in the chair, not a bad choice as no-one can completely kill you ordering off the menu.  Great sommelier, great wine list at very low markup (lower than Blonde poker fora are used to seeing anyway!!)

VIC&ANTHONYS (Golden Nugget) - fast becoming a regular choice for solo dining.  Whilst others go off looking for deep fried twinkies and McDonalds, for a couple of bux more I love eating solo at the bar here, its pretty small, so catch them off peak or expect a wait.  Would expect to visit here every trip at some point from now on, definitely cheaper than the Strip and no issues with quality, like the setting too.

BINIONS - Enjoyable back in the day, haven't been for a loooong time and I would pre-judge that it is likely gone way downhill, but I would be happy to stand corrected by anyone that has been recently.

OSCARS - Plaza.  Great view along Fremont Street (if you get given the right table) and scenes of several movies.  However, I haven't actually been in since Goodman got involved, hate to think I might be lining his pocket, any more than his pocket ever got indirectly lined by my LV visits.

ANDIAMOS (THE D) and Triple George Grill (Downtown Grand) haven't made it to either yet, but will definitely try them out next time.

OK, think that covers it Cheesy

Can confirm that Charlie Palmers was on my recommendation and they're still doing their Cut of the Week deal which is amazing value (if you like that week's cut!).
http://www.charliepalmer.com/mobile/charlie-palmer-steak-las-vegas/menus/cut-of-the-week/
tonytats

View Profile
« Reply #3215 on: June 10, 2015, 09:48:06 PM »

OUTBACK - you know you are having a bad trip when you decide to eat here.... Budget of all budget steakhouse, was ok, but was like going to a "nice Harvester"

Spot on simon we havnt been for a few years so went in after the high roller it's very average - popular too tho because of its position I guess
I wouldn't go back
smurf

View Profile
« Reply #3216 on: June 13, 2015, 10:40:10 PM »

Quick question...rough guide figure appreciated

If I was to go to Vegas at the start or middle of the wsop and stay at a middle of the range hotel what sort of price would it be for ten nights accommodation and flights and meals etc

Sorry if it's been covered before - looked on the net but thought its best to ask those that have been incase there are hidden costs

Thanks in advance
Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #3217 on: June 14, 2015, 12:34:22 AM »

Ballpark:

$1k for flights

$1k for hotel

$1k for meals/beers.

Doesn't really need dissecting any more than that,  you can catch a sale airfare,  you can fly with 9 stops via Japan and save $30, you can book flight late and getting caught for $1500.  You could find a great hotel promo, or come in at bottom end of "mid-range" or you could get caught on EDC weekend and have a price spike.  Meals, you can eat in the Eastside Cannery buffet, or you could eat in a pricy place a couple of times.  You could get wasted on free drinks playing penny slots or go through it at $15/drink in a nice bar.

Cliffs:  Variance involved, but $3k would be in the right neighbourhood.

77dave

5 2 off

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3218 on: June 14, 2015, 12:41:06 AM »

T-Bones at Red Rock?

Mantis - I would like to thank 77dave for his more realistic take on things.
animalpoker

View Profile
« Reply #3219 on: June 14, 2015, 12:48:57 AM »

Odd question but advice appreciated .   Currently in Vegas and need some medical advice.   If I've got something I would normally see my GP at home for but is urgent what is my best course of action in Vegas.   Scheduled here for 2 weeks more.

Based at Rio
Do I taxi to a hospital if so which one ?
Do I go to a doctors practising office ?
This could wait till Monday but I might try and sort it Sunday morning.
Obviously I'll ask Rio front desk but stuck in day 2 of mtt now and also not sure how differently uk people might seek medical stuff compared to U.S. citizens
I have travel insurance through natwest account

Never had any problems before in states so bit clueless.
Thanks in advance
Rob

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #3220 on: June 14, 2015, 01:05:07 AM »

Odd question but advice appreciated .   Currently in Vegas and need some medical advice.   If I've got something I would normally see my GP at home for but is urgent what is my best course of action in Vegas.   Scheduled here for 2 weeks more.

Based at Rio
Obviously I'll ask Rio front desk but stuck in day 2 of mtt now and also not sure how differently uk people might seek medical stuff compared to U.S. citizens

Thanks in advance
Rob

Karabiner posted on Cos's Internet policeman diary.  There is a real doctor at the back of Walmart which is by the Venetian.  He can do prescription drugs for you.  Can't cut and paste link as I am a phone idiot.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3221 on: June 14, 2015, 03:20:13 AM »

Based at Rio

Thanks in advance
Rob

Karabiner posted on Cos's Internet policeman diary.  There is a real doctor at the back of Walmart which is by the Venetian.  He can do prescription drugs for you.  Can't cut and paste link as I am a phone idiot.

It's not a WalMart, its a "Walgreens".

Rob, it's literally RIGHT NEXT DOOR to Venetian where you are right now.

Exit venetian by the front door adjacent the Card Room. Turn RIGHT along the Strip. Walgreens is before the first set of traffic lights, maybe 50 yards along. It's that close.

First up though, win that PLO8 jobbie.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3222 on: June 14, 2015, 03:23:21 AM »

Here it is, it is actually adjoined to Venetian.

Click to see full-size image.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
animalpoker

View Profile
« Reply #3223 on: June 14, 2015, 05:12:19 AM »

Thanks guys.  Sorted for now.
Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #3224 on: June 14, 2015, 10:59:59 AM »

T-Bones at Red Rock?

Oh yeah, I've been there too!! That was a good choice Jim, we had a nice meal there, I've been back to Red Rock property a few times as I really like it there, but  haven't been to T-bones again yet, another one to add to the 'must revisit' list.

If memory serves me well, the steak was on a par with a good strip steakhouse, I recall Nancy had the short rib with mash (I remember because I got to help out with that too  Roll Eyes ) which was really good.  I also recall I had a winning trip, so it must have been a few years ago now...  Folded Arms

Pages: 1 ... 211 212 213 214 [215] 216 217 218 219 ... 407 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: