blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 03:38:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272540 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Vegas Trip Information for anyone looking to go this year.
Pages: 1 ... 308 309 310 311 [312] 313 314 315 316 ... 407 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas Trip Information for anyone looking to go this year.  (Read 957542 times)
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4665 on: May 10, 2018, 11:40:22 AM »

https://www.headforpoints.com/2018/05/09/mbna-virgin-atlantic-credit-card-closing/

MBNA is closing your Virgin Atlantic credit card – what should you do?

If you have the MBNA-issued Virgin Atlantic White or Black credit cards, you should have received a letter yesterday telling you what I predicted was going to happen – that the cards are closing sooner rather than later.

Lots of good info in the article about the new cards.

I got a communication yesterday confirming that they were no longer issuing these cards but that my existing ones were currently unaffected, although it did say that further communication was expected by 25th June (from memory).

Edit: Just read the article more closely and they're suggesting that the above is the start of the cancellation process, despite the letter not saying so.

Presumably any airmiles are with Virgin and not MBNA so won't be affected?    So get the new card and carry on as normal?  I have a nice credit limit on my card at the moment, do you think I'll have a similar one on my new card?   I know you don't know my details but I've never had card/debt issues.   A think I'll have to call Virgin Money tomorrow.

I think I read those of us with the card you pay for are SOL with that?   I'm not even mid way through my year yet, not too happy about having to fork out another £160 for the new card.

No issues with keeping existing miles, but a reduction in the earn rate on the new card compared to the Amex card (albeit a better rate than for the Visa fallback card).

The odd thing at present is that we've not actually been told the card is ending yet, and it doesn't look like there's an easy way to convert when this happens.  Consequently, it's a case of applying for an additional card now, whilst still holding the other, or waiting to make the application down the line.  That might cause issues depending on individual credit statuses or whether or not there's a balance on the card (although the benefits of these cards revolve around them being paid off monthly, as the interest rates are high).

It just seems a bit weird that we seem to know far more details at present than those actually given to us by MBNA, which has been basically "all is well, nothing to see here".

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #4666 on: May 11, 2018, 12:06:01 AM »

Never been to Vegas before but after putting it off a few times and now recovered from illness that gave me a new look on life I’m looking at going this year...any advice appreciated

Looking to go 22-29th June to play either the monster stack and bounty and the Omaha hi/lo (definitely want to play this)

I am finding 7 day deals for flight and hotel for £900 upwards which I assume is a good price

What would be a half decent hotel  near the venues
Is it best to register the day before
Are there other tourneys (cheaper) if I bust out regularly played
Do they take any percentage of winnings off you (might as well be confident)
Is there plenty of choice for eateries (I have to be careful what I eat)
...and anything else a first timer would want to know

Uber is your friend, so anywhere on the strip is fine.

I've never done that, except for the Monster stack. Was absolute chaos the first year I played it, and we ended up being alternates.

More tournaments, than there are McDonalds.

The only place I know that has taken the 30% is the Golden Nugget. Not sure about the tax/itin rules at present, as there is so much conflicting information out there.

Every kind of cuisine, at every price point, is there. Most places have GF & Coeliac friendly menus, too.

Never go in the VIP room at the strip clubs Smiley

I had the Golden Nugget experience on my last day last year and couldn't get anything resolved in time.

I am going through the reclaim right now.  You can go through an agent in the UK to get an ITIN and reclaim your witholding back.   It s going to cost me just over £400.  I tried two others and one quoted near double that and another wouldn't quote before speaking to me on the phone, despite me asking twice.

I have to fill in form W7 and go to an office with my passport.   I am near that office next week, but you can do it be registered delivery and skype if that isn't possible.

Obviously this is al a bit of a ballache, but I'd take losing £432 vs losing the original $4705 (also the exchange rate hasn't been kind, but that is just randomness).  I expect I'll lose some costs on the transfer of cash too.

I will update the thread if and when it is through, and if I get paid.  As I understand it, I needed to wait until 2018 before I could start the process, but it would also have been possible to do in the US without the fees if I go back in June.   But given I only ever go for a week, spending a day or so of that trying to sort out tax doesn't appeal.

Before you play the Golden Nugget, either get an ITIN or recognise there is this possible downside.  The rake was pretty brutal too; the $250 tournaments were $200+$50.  On the upside, I played there three times and chopped two tournaments.  Poker room was lovely and the dealers were nearly all decent.    If you don't want the ballache, and don't have an ITIN, it is worth trying to chop under $5000.  In the first $250 tournament, the $5000 limit was on a few people's mind, hence the 6 way chop.   

Update on this.

I saw the agent today.  There is still a wait until they can send the form off.  It is Jan 20 something.

From there apparently it is a 6-8 week wait for the tax number then another 12 weeks to get a US Dollar cheque.   And then begins another ballache. 

Turns out this was a fairly optimistic view of the process. 

I got a letter from the IRS today, nearly 4 months on, informing me they have made changes to the "errors" on my tax form, and as a result of their changes, I am not due a refund.  That isn't entirely true, they said I had overpaid by 70 cents, but they don't do refunds for less than a dollar...

If they previosuly sent me a tax number, I haven't seen it.  Luckily they included it in my letter, but only the last 4 digits from 9, and they starred the other 5 out.   Presumably I will have to include all the digits if I wish to complain?

At least I have 4 digits of my tax number if I cash for over $5k this year...         

O2 are a joy to deal with by comparison.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #4667 on: May 11, 2018, 12:21:07 AM »

What a palava Sad

Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #4668 on: May 11, 2018, 12:56:39 PM »

1000 clubcard points (2500 Virgin miles) when you take out the free Tesco Clubcard Mastercard.

1000 clubcard points (2500 Virgin miles) when you spend £60+ on certain Lego sets
typhoon13

View Profile
« Reply #4669 on: May 11, 2018, 01:07:45 PM »

Never been to Vegas before but after putting it off a few times and now recovered from illness that gave me a new look on life I’m looking at going this year...any advice appreciated

Looking to go 22-29th June to play either the monster stack and bounty and the Omaha hi/lo (definitely want to play this)

I am finding 7 day deals for flight and hotel for £900 upwards which I assume is a good price

I've never done that, except for the Monster stack. Was absolute chaos the first year I played it, and we ended up being alternates.

The only place I know that has taken the 30% is the Golden Nugget. Not sure about the tax/itin rules at present, as there is so much conflicting information out there.

Every kind of cuisine, at every price point, is there. Most places have GF & Coeliac friendly menus, too.

I had the Golden Nugget experience on my last day last year and couldn't get anything resolved in time.

I am going through the reclaim right now.  You can go through an agent in the UK to get an ITIN and reclaim your witholding back.   It s going to cost me just over £400.  I tried two others and one quoted near double that and another wouldn't quote before speaking to me on the phone, despite me asking twice.

I have to fill in form W7 and go to an office with my passport.   I am near that office next week, but you can do it be registered delivery and skype if that isn't possible.

Obviously this is al a bit of a ballache, but I'd take losing £432 vs losing the original $4705 (also the exchange rate hasn't been kind, but that is just randomness).  I expect I'll lose some costs on the transfer of cash too.

I will update the thread if and when it is through, and if I get paid.  As I understand it, I needed to wait until 2018 before I could start the process, but it would also have been possible to do in the US without the fees if I go back in June.   But given I only ever go for a week, spending a day or so of that trying to sort out tax doesn't appeal.

Before you play the Golden Nugget, either get an ITIN or recognise there is this possible downside.  The rake was pretty brutal too; the $250 tournaments were $200+$50.  On the upside, I played there three times and chopped two tournaments.  Poker room was lovely and the dealers were nearly all decent.    If you don't want the ballache, and don't have an ITIN, it is worth trying to chop under $5000.  In the first $250 tournament, the $5000 limit was on a few people's mind, hence the 6 way chop.   

Update on this.

I saw the agent today.  There is still a wait until they can send the form off.  It is Jan 20 something.

From there apparently it is a 6-8 week wait for the tax number then another 12 weeks to get a US Dollar cheque.   And then begins another ballache. 

I got a letter from the IRS today, nearly 4 months on, informing me they have made changes to the "errors" on my tax form, and as a result of their changes, I am not due a refund.  That isn't entirely true, they said I had overpaid by 70 cents, but they don't do refunds for less than a dollar...

If they previosuly sent me a tax number, I haven't seen it.  Luckily they included it in my letter, but only the last 4 digits from 9, and they starred the other 5 out.   Presumably I will have to include all the digits if I wish to complain?

Doobs is it possible to sort it whilst in Vegas if you have the time?
bookiebasher

View Profile
« Reply #4670 on: May 11, 2018, 01:22:20 PM »

Update on this.

Are you asking on behalf of a friend ?
typhoon13

View Profile
« Reply #4671 on: May 11, 2018, 05:47:48 PM »

Update on this.

Are you asking on behalf of a friend ?

Piss off back into your bookies shop and rob some more poor punters you comedian
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #4672 on: May 11, 2018, 06:08:19 PM »

Update on this.

I don't know.  Am going to write to my us tax agent tomorrow.   I assumed if I used one, the forms would be completed correctly. 

I think you need an appointment, which might be an issue as the late starting comp is on a Saturday.   May just late reg the day I was going to play the Wynn and pop down.   

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
typhoon13

View Profile
« Reply #4673 on: May 11, 2018, 09:02:59 PM »

Update on this.

I don't know.  Am going to write to my us tax agent tomorrow.   I assumed if I used one, the forms would be completed correctly. 

I think you need an appointment, which might be an issue as the late starting comp is on a Saturday.   May just late reg the day I was going to play the Wynn and pop down.   

Some tax consultants usually have a stand advertising advice in the main corridor at the Rio
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4674 on: May 11, 2018, 09:13:45 PM »

^^^^

Correct, but they charge a hefty %.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tonytats

View Profile
« Reply #4675 on: May 11, 2018, 09:31:43 PM »

Update on this.

In a word no !
Win something at the Rio they sort it ,as do lots of places barrring the nuggett
Otherwise it’s deal with it back here
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #4676 on: May 11, 2018, 09:35:10 PM »

Sure hope we keep quoting that post Grin

typhoon13

View Profile
« Reply #4677 on: May 12, 2018, 06:55:34 AM »

Update on this.

In a word no !
Win something at the Rio they sort it ,as do lots of places barrring the nuggett
Otherwise it’s deal with it back here

From the Venetian which is inline with all the major Hotels

6. Winners must show a valid ID to collect winnings. Residents of foreign countries without a U.S. tax treaty will be
subject to withholding. Pursuant to new IRS regulations, W-2G or 1042 forms will be issued for all tournament
winnings of $5,000 or more (net of buy-in amount).

This doesn't give you an ITIN
tonytats

View Profile
« Reply #4678 on: May 12, 2018, 04:43:44 PM »

Never had a win over $3000 at Venetian mate
Like I said the Rio do them
I got mine at Excalibur won the bad beat jackpot flopped quad 4-9-4 turn 9 v 99 lol
It was a fking bad beat too I got 2700$
 at main st station their bad beat was $165 k ☹️
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #4679 on: May 12, 2018, 06:34:21 PM »

I did have a win over $5K at The Venetian but it was $5500 in a $500+50 tourney so just escaped needing an ITIN.

They did say that if it was necessary for "paperwork" they would process it for me "no problem" as I did enquire before the FT.

That was ~2009.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Pages: 1 ... 308 309 310 311 [312] 313 314 315 316 ... 407 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: