blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:15:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Vegas Trip Information for anyone looking to go this year.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 ... 407 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas Trip Information for anyone looking to go this year.  (Read 952155 times)
scotty77

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: May 16, 2012, 09:52:58 PM »

the holiday phone looks like the nut package IMO. mainly as calls to UK are included/auto redirect and also free calls to other holidayphone users...just no hassle and a fixed rate fee...
KarmaDope

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 16, 2012, 09:58:44 PM »

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/monthly-4g-plans - I would recommend either the $50 or $60 dependent on how much data you're likely to use, then ask for the $10 international bolt-on.

AT&T have changed theirs, if you have a smartphone you have to buy data separately.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 16, 2012, 10:09:57 PM »

I think I'll just get Vodafone to call me if my bill is going mental and try to be sensible with my phone.

Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 16, 2012, 10:51:09 PM »

OK, nits gonna nit.

USA SIM card.  Last year was a real ballache, I had a USA phone (crap basic phone) and it took me hours to reactivate, time driving to buy top ups and was tilting.  This year, I want to use my own phone and have the USA SIM in my hand before I go.  I'd like a fixed price plan with plenty of roaming data being the main priority, calls/texts within USA needed, calls/texts to UK nice to have.  UK mob number auto-forwarded to US SIM nice to have.  My phone is unlocked.

So far, I'm looking at £90

Anyone have better suggestions?

I went in April and bought a T-Mobile SIM for my unlocked iPhone.  There's a T-Mobile stall in the Boulevard Mall which is 5 minutes from the airport and also a Best Buy store in there who can both sort it.

T-Mobile have a $2 pay per day tariff, which has unlimited calls, text and data.  There's a $3 4G option, but most UK phones won't get this speed on T-mobiles US bandwidth, so not worth it.

For calling the UK from the US$ phone, sign up to Rebtel and use that to make calls.  Basically, all your contacts will be assigned a local US number, so you then get to call for free on your tariff.  Rebtel charge <1p/min for landlines and ~10p/min to UK mobiles.  I deposited £7 with them, made around 2hours of calls home on the trip and still have £4.94 of credit left!  I also used WhatsApp to text home, which all came out of the data usage and cost nothing.

The only downside is that the data speed isn't as fast compared to normal UK use, but could still use the web from the phone without much hassle.  Just don't go downloading apps on it!

I think you can buy the SIMs in the UK via Ebay, but it'll cost much more than the $5ish cost buying locally.  Depends what you prefer doing.

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 16, 2012, 10:55:29 PM »

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/pay-by-the-day-cell-phone-plans

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 22, 2012, 08:04:13 PM »

Can't be having this on page 2...

Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 23, 2012, 08:03:53 AM »

Fresh unlisted room offer codes are out today.  Some of them are only valid for a couple of days.  Enquire within.

NB remember to compare like with like.

Etc.

Bigfella

View Profile WWW
« Reply #247 on: May 23, 2012, 09:11:27 PM »

It's probably posted on here somewhere already but must admit I knew about the wsop, Venetian, Binions and Nugget series, but didn't know the Wynn were running a Summer Classic too.

http://wynnpoker.com/wynn_summer_classic.cfm

I doubt we'll be struggling to find a tourny to play. Do they do this every year during the wsop as if so I've completely missed this in previous years.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 23, 2012, 09:16:11 PM »

I am pretty sure the Summer Classic is brand new, at least it hasn't been at this time before.  They were doing $200 or $300 crapshoot rebuys at that time last year.   Year before it was $100 lunchtime tourneys.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 23, 2012, 11:01:29 PM »

ok newb question

£Uk to $us what is the nut way?

wire transfer?
cash?

if cash, wheres best?

tyty

I used http://www.thomasexchangeglobal.co.uk/ in the past and would really recommend their services. They'll give you a much better rate than the bank/airport etc. and are good for large amounts. You need to scan/send in a few documents but they're pretty efficient and fast at confirming them. You then bank transfer them the money in £ and they send the $ in the post to you next-day delivery with insurance. Also they have a good buy-back scheme in-case you don't punt it all off in strip clubs etc.

Please message me if you have currency needs, i would be very surprised if we can't beat any other rate you get offered and i can guarantee you less hassle.

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 23, 2012, 11:08:23 PM »

ok newb question

£Uk to $us what is the nut way?

wire transfer?
cash?

if cash, wheres best?

tyty

I used http://www.thomasexchangeglobal.co.uk/ in the past and would really recommend their services. They'll give you a much better rate than the bank/airport etc. and are good for large amounts. You need to scan/send in a few documents but they're pretty efficient and fast at confirming them. You then bank transfer them the money in £ and they send the $ in the post to you next-day delivery with insurance. Also they have a good buy-back scheme in-case you don't punt it all off in strip clubs etc.

Please message me if you have currency needs, i would be very surprised if we can't beat any other rate you get offered and i can guarantee you less hassle.

Don't worry I got in first and sent him your way, I'll take my comm in dances next month Wink

Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 24, 2012, 08:52:39 AM »

It's all a bit topsy turvy.  "Low" season can actually be high season.  For example, hotels (deals a-plenty) are really cheap in July and August and in December.  Early July, poker would be immense.  As soon as WSOP leaves town, Vegas has its worst month of the year for poker, very very slow and dusty.  December the week before Christmas is probably the cheapest hotel rates of the year.  Again for a reason, it will be (relatively) quiet.  Early December is Rodeo time, some great casual poker traffic, but hotels know Rodeo sells rooms so deals are harder to get (but by no means impossible) and rack rates are higher.

I think the best way is to get a leg down with the flight to start with.  This usually means catching the sale fares.  Not many flights to Vegas get cheaper at the last minute, so lock it up when able.

If you want pleasant weather in the mix for pool parties etc. try and pick May, early June or September.  If you sleep all day and party all night, any old week will do.  If the poker grind is more inportant, don't pick late July+August.

Cliffs:  Go during WSOP.  Weather is good (but gets a bit too much into July+) partying is unlimited.  Cash action is about as juicy as it gets.  Flights at the moment aren't great (£800 direct when you could scoop £500 with planning) but hotel deals are plentiful.

OR -on budget  just get the cheapest flight at whatever time of year that happens to be.  There will always be bad players in the 1/2 ~ 1/3 games everywhere.  If there are hotel deals great, if not, just stay somewhere a little worse so that it is in the right price bracket.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 10:01:26 AM by Simon Galloway » Logged

Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 26, 2012, 08:53:53 AM »

A refitted plane is in action now, not sure how many planes are in the fleet, but a chance of getting on it if you are running good

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/gb/frequentflyer/offersandnews/latestnews/newinflightentertainment.jsp
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 12:22:38 PM by Simon Galloway » Logged

Dry em
Hit Squad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #253 on: May 26, 2012, 09:25:42 AM »

This any good? Micro sim for iphones available as an option

http://www.simcardguru.co.uk/product/sim-cards-for-the-united-states/t-mobile-usa-pay-as-you-go-mobile-phone-sim-card

Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 26, 2012, 12:28:36 PM »

Thanks Karl, that would have done it.  Past tense, as I already paid £89 for the holidayphone jobbie this time.  Unless I get a lot of extra use out of the additional services (unlikely) I will be using the £26 one next time.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 ... 407 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: