blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:37:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272595 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Vegas Trip Information for anyone looking to go this year.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 ... 407 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas Trip Information for anyone looking to go this year.  (Read 959597 times)
bazzabhoy
BAZZABHOY

View Profile WWW
« Reply #540 on: October 25, 2012, 08:23:20 PM »

hi m8  done the imperial palace thing before and do fancy a bit style for a change,,,,,,especially as the travel agent quoted 1195  each for 10 nights at IP  then i go onto BA  and they quoting  1178  each for venetian or palazo   as its bloody cheaper than imperial palace lol  im still in shock as the flight from edinburgh-vegas is over 800 anyway. it works out 10 nights is around 760  which is perfect considering theri website is quoting  about  $3000  say £1800
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #541 on: October 26, 2012, 11:19:39 AM »

Palazzo > Venetian

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
Matt.NFFC.

View Profile
« Reply #542 on: November 11, 2012, 12:14:25 PM »

Bumpety bump,

Out of interest, being a Vegas first timer at some point in the near future, I do like the look and value that The Orleans Hotel provides just off strip compared to paying say an extra £150 for staying at Harrah's for example.

I don't have any issue getting the free shuttle to the strip thus saving on cab fares by staying off strip, and this hotel seems to provide other stuff to do like the cinema, spa etc.

Have I got it all wrong?  I'm thinking that the money saved would not be wasted on cabs and I'd no doubt stay out on the strip till the shuttle starts again in the morning.

Is it essential to stay on the strip for a first timer?  I just like the value and the reviews that it gets compared to similar priced properties (Harrah's etc) on the strip.
scotty77

View Profile
« Reply #543 on: November 11, 2012, 12:25:20 PM »

Personally couldn't think of anything worse than being on a bus in Vegas heat.

I think that being on Strip is best for a 1st timer.  Gives you tonnes of flexibility.

Never been to the Orleans but when I was last there it was recommended to me by 3 different cab drivers (had to drive past it to get back to the Palms) which actually would put me off it as the places where locals tend to like aren't exactly the best.

If you are going there to grind hard I would say def on Strip is best as then you have 10 different rooms in walking distance and you can go back to your room for a shower/change/food in between sessions.  Gonna be very hard to want to do that when you have to think of bus times/getting a cab each way.
redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #544 on: November 11, 2012, 12:40:01 PM »

They'res cinemas downtown and on the Strip near MGM if you want to catch a film.

Orleans is OK to go for occasional cash session or tournament (Friday night NLHE one is good value). I'd stay mid strip or downtown de[ending on your needs. I tend to stay downtown with a hire car for trips.

Success has many parents but failure is an orphan

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
tonytats

View Profile
« Reply #545 on: November 11, 2012, 12:46:50 PM »

Orleans is a bit out of it mate tbh ,try ballys / harrahs ,nice position on strip ,bus to rio I've stayed at ballys 2/3 times its ok for the price
Matt.NFFC.

View Profile
« Reply #546 on: November 11, 2012, 01:00:24 PM »

Strip it is then.....nothing booked yet, just want to get as many opinions, websites looked at etc and then I can make my mind up and stick with it.
Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #547 on: November 11, 2012, 01:21:51 PM »

I can make my mind up and stick with it.

My advice would be not to do that!!!  Better imo to do your research and identify 4 or 5 places you'd like to stay.  I mean, if there is one place you just HAVE to stay.. fine go ahead and book it.  But otherwise, prices go up and down all the time, so what might actually happen is: 

Virgin sale fares come out.. you grab a cheap flight, having first identified hotspots on the rate calendars of hotels.  (for example, EDC 21st June means dumps are asking for $200+/night that weekend) 

Having got your flight on sensible dates, you take a decent offer code for example to stay in Treasure Island for $70/night.  The following month, you notice that you could get the same dates on an offer code to stay in an Exec Suite @ MGM for the same price, so you cancel TI and book the MGM offer.  Later on, you notice that Palazzo have a 40% sale for your dates and for a few $ more.. you could swap to there..

I keep my eye open on offers and am usually pretty up to date, but a typical trip might still see me booking and cancelling a couple of hotels.  Is $50/night good value for Harrahs?  It depends.  Yes, at face value, it looks to be pretty decent value.  But if Aria suddenly offered their rooms for $70/night, all of a sudden Harrahs for $50/night is shockingly bad value.

Matt.NFFC.

View Profile
« Reply #548 on: November 11, 2012, 10:35:21 PM »

I can make my mind up and stick with it.

My advice would be not to do that!!!  Better imo to do your research and identify 4 or 5 places you'd like to stay.  I mean, if there is one place you just HAVE to stay.. fine go ahead and book it.  But otherwise, prices go up and down all the time, so what might actually happen is: 

Virgin sale fares come out.. you grab a cheap flight, having first identified hotspots on the rate calendars of hotels.  (for example, EDC 21st June means dumps are asking for $200+/night that weekend) 

Having got your flight on sensible dates, you take a decent offer code for example to stay in Treasure Island for $70/night.  The following month, you notice that you could get the same dates on an offer code to stay in an Exec Suite @ MGM for the same price, so you cancel TI and book the MGM offer.  Later on, you notice that Palazzo have a 40% sale for your dates and for a few $ more.. you could swap to there..

I keep my eye open on offers and am usually pretty up to date, but a typical trip might still see me booking and cancelling a couple of hotels.  Is $50/night good value for Harrahs?  It depends.  Yes, at face value, it looks to be pretty decent value.  But if Aria suddenly offered their rooms for $70/night, all of a sudden Harrahs for $50/night is shockingly bad value.

Thanks for the help there Simon.

I guess you would be booking with the hotel direct?
Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #549 on: November 11, 2012, 10:42:45 PM »

I'd need a very good reason not to.  If you get offered an amazing package, or an incredible 3rd party website deal.. no probs with that, just remember to ready the ts and cs, you most likely won't be able to cancel, or adjust, without forfeiture/fees coming into it.  If you were staying at Venetian (for example) and you ended up playing a few deepstacks, you could get those days adjusted down to the poker rate had you booked direct, but if you went via Trivago or w/e then they can't.

Some of the time, I have found incredible deals with 3rd parties, but for the most part, I am booking direct with the hotel website, using offer codes to reduce the cost.

Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #550 on: November 19, 2012, 08:48:06 AM »

Annnnnnnd we are booked.  Last fortnight in June, if that overlaps with you, available for cold beer.

Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #551 on: November 29, 2012, 10:44:21 AM »

Might be more tempting to fly via LA/SF in 2014...

X Train

Cheaper flights to LA (business route v Premium Holiday route) and from Heathrow rather than Gatwick, then a few hours on a party train....

Matt.NFFC.

View Profile
« Reply #552 on: November 29, 2012, 10:56:41 AM »

Sounds like a great idea.  Just depends how quickly you want to get to Vegas.
brookie

View Profile
« Reply #553 on: November 29, 2012, 06:57:08 PM »

am booked for the 20/5 till the 9/6 2013 stopping at the flamingo unless i can get a better deal closer to the  time
Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #554 on: November 29, 2012, 07:43:47 PM »

Last year, Marky, myself, and a couple of others often did a price sweep for people.  I still sweep regularly as I have booked my accomodation, but will also be trying to get better for the same money, or the same for less, so I keep half an eye on what's good.

If people give a very clear steer as to what they are after, I'm sure there would be some replies of potentially better deals.  The better the steer, the more likely I would be to do it (because it means I only have to look in 2 or 3 places)

So things like: - don't want to stay off-strip/south of NYNY/North of Venetian/must have a pool/great spafor the mrs/must have a poker room/must be an MGM property/no resort fee/has to have a jacuuzi and separate shower/exact check in date/exact check-out date/must have a Starbucks within 10 yards of the lifts... / current deal is $xxx so anything lower than that pls etc

Whilst I generally stay in 5* rooms as cheaply as possible, I do keep a lookout for 4* properties offering decent suites for less than a 5* room, for example, so usually have a fair idea of where the best codes are.  I don't really look at the cheapest options, but I have a good idea of how I'd rank them and, more importantly, given someone's clear steer ^^ I'd be able to change that ranking to meet their tastes/needs.  After that, I'd tell you where the codes are for your travel dates and let you wade thru em and report back with any 'gems' Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 ... 407 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: