blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 05, 2024, 05:58:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272894 Posts in 66759 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Whats the best Tip you have ever received?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Whats the best Tip you have ever received?  (Read 13182 times)
Eso Kral

Lucky in Life!!

View Profile
« on: January 16, 2012, 01:20:52 PM »

Was chatting to Craigbetts over the weekend and nicked this idea off him but we have lots of very active punters on here so thought I would ask everyone as there must be some great stories on here.

So what is the BEST TIP you have ever received?

Mine would have been a dog tip at Perry Barr in the early 2000 when on a friday night card I was told there was a set up and the dog in question was going to ignored in the betting and would be pushed out by all the bookies and was expected to win at 8/1 as all the bookies were going to be backing it off course as well and although the dog in question needed to lead the hare driver was told he had £200 riding on it so needed to "let the dog see the bunny" and the young lad with the sainsbury bag was waiting at the 3rd bend just in case all had not gone to plan.

I remember spreading a few hundred around loads of different bookies and was pleasantly surprised to find the dog return at 10/1!!

Andrew Charles Blacklock - Lived for those he loved and those he loved remember.
ACE2M

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 01:30:22 PM »

F1 when only 3 teams competed in America.

We were told it might be coming a couple of hours before anyone else knew about it.

Apart from the Feraris the other 4 drivers were 300/1+, the one who eventually came 3rd was 5 or 600/1 - qtr first 3, and you could back forecasts and tricasts with one big bookie. We did very well out of it, but there were several of us praying for some mechanical problems with the ferraris that unfortuanely didn't materialize.

StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 01:35:26 PM »

When I put Dewi's tip in an accidental double

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
Acidmouse

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 01:49:11 PM »

Goran Ivanišević to win Wimbledon 2001.

The wife loves tennis and kept going on about how if Goran was fit 150/1 was amazing value.

FML to this day I never hear the end of it...i placed her £2.50 each way on him.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 01:56:15 PM »

Someone warned me about yellow snow.

The older I get, the better I was.
stribling

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 02:04:26 PM »

The Camel.... 8/1 Horse tip about 4 years ago!

Still remember this fondly! Chucked £40 on!

You have to Risk it for the biscuit!!!
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 02:16:32 PM »

Summer 1988. I had been for an afternoon at Windsor races and had done my cobblers.

Consoled myself with a couple of pints at the Windsor Lad, the pub just outside the track.

Got talking to this guy, who turned out to be a stable lad at Dick Hern's.

He had worked for the Major for over 20 years and couldn't stop talking about an unraced colt at the yard.

"His work is the best I've seen at our place since Brigadier Gerard. And he's bred to win a Derby too."

Every week, from then until the next spring I had a fiver or tenner to win the Guineas or Derby or both at prices from 80/1 downwards.

The horse was Nashwan Cheesy

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
MajorMajor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 02:22:34 PM »

There was a tip at my workplace a few months before I started! 150-1 horse, all the lads had a quid or 2 each way on it! I think one guy had a 5er on it but nothing bigger!
action man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 02:48:51 PM »

horse at lingfield one day, someone very close to the stable told me it had been beating a group 2 horse at home over a mile who was rated 110, this was rated 65 backed it at 9/2 4/1 7-2 10/3 3/1 5/2 9/4 and 2/1 and it won by 15l at 6/4
Somerled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 03:45:12 PM »

Somehow my Dad got a tip for Hunters of Brora to win the Lincoln in '98.

I didn't trust him so just put £5 e/w @ 22/1.

Same source gave him a nag called Crazee Mental (actually not a bad horse but too many 2nds for my liking)  who was owned by a Glasgow "businessman" Hugh O'Donnell. Lost all the profits on that one but I see it is the mother of Premio Loco which has done OK. Don't want to know how my Dad came into contact with Big Shug.  Shocked
outragous76

Yeah Bitch! ......... MAGNETS! owwwh!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 04:02:16 PM »

Sergeant Cecil, Northumberland Plate! ZOMG! 16/1 - and what a race!

Girl in our group of 12 mentioned it in passing as we walked to the course, we all backed, me and 4 mates smashed it!

One of the best nights out in Newcastle ever ensued!

#lovethathorse

".....and then I spent 2 hours talking with Stu which blew my mind.........."
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 05:17:30 PM »

On a trip to Prague I was told that the girl in booth 7 was very good with her hands.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
mickyp

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 06:19:48 PM »

2004,my mate worked at the duke of roxburgh's stud at kelso.He told us at the start of her 3 year old carreer that  ATTRACTION was flying on the gallops at mark johnstons. We were on at 14s all the way down to on the day of the 1000 guineas.We were at the point to points on the day of race and watched the race with our local bookie,who had laid a lot of the bets.His face was a picture when she held on for the win.
craigbetts

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 07:10:18 PM »

Back in the mid 90's i worked for Billy Gills Hq when it relocated to Leeds. At the time I really thought this was the nut job in the world, if it moved I would back. Lifts going up to the floor where we worked would be wagered upon and I just loved the whole aroma of gambling... stale bookies with old men who had peed their pants days before. The reality was that I never had any money and saw soo many people go broke gambling what they could not afford. This taught me the number one rule of gambling, only ever bet what you can afford to lose.

Why I was broke was down to information, we were privy to just too much. There were tips all over the place, though if you knew who to follow then you were on to a winner, quite literally.

I was working the night racing on the Monday evening before Royal Ascot in 1994 when a few things started to happen. I was working a position that took notification of shop bets and the managers ringing up checking liabilities etc when punters were trying to get on. We started to receive calls from a manger in the Coventry area saying that a group of blokes were trying to get as much on a horse we had priced up for the lucky last at Royal Ascot the next day. As is standard and I am sure a few players on here will know, only so much is layed at that price, a bit more at SP and some wooly line about max bets being exceeded. This whole process was not uncommon, though the group must have exhausted their options of Gills and found other companies. Five minutes later a similar group were pulling the same stunt in N London, same result though now we are giving zero away and its offers of SP after a token bet accepted. There was one further area that was hit not long after by a different group, though the message was clear... The number two of the office who never placed a bet, had a good idea of the people behind the sting and was doing his best to get on with all and sundry. The horse was a Martin Pipe horse Sweet Glow running in the Ascot stakes. As the office was low on numbers due to the night before Ascot it was my turn to tell the lads the next day when they came in.

I backed it that night ew at 14's (the number two rule of gambling i learned was backing EW!) with a local independent bookie who knew my background and whom I had told the story to and he told me he was going 'balls deep'. After everyone was put in the know, a normals day trading took place. Thats a lie because we were always busy as on the big meetings and most Saturdays. I remember the start of the race as the majority of people had finished work for the day and a group of forty or so took a viewing from the back of the set room. Everyone was on and it was good money, as they came into the straight Sweet Glow was nowhere and I was getting that same old feeling, plus the weight of me being the go between for everyone else who was going to lose. Then from the rear, just like in the movies it mowed them down and with a furlong to go there were forty or so people round me riding it home, motioning whips and generally cheering it to the hilt. The hierarchy were a little peeved as some business was still taking place, but the workers were going bananas. It won going away and it returned 8/1 iirc. The independent bookie who his now deceased (RIP) treated me like royalty in his shop there after and it stands out to this day as one tip that was always going in. Who'd have thought Martin Pipe training winners at Royal Ascot. Kerching!!

Billy Gills has been used instead of the actual firm, haha!

"We're not here to take part, we're here to take over"
redarmi

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2012, 07:27:24 PM »

Once when I was fairly flush I decided that I wanted a leg in a horse.  At the time Iknew Dave Nevison fairly well and my boss at the time also had horses with John Best so I called Dave and we agreed I would buy a quarter share of an unraced filly.  A couple of weeks later Dave called me and said it had been working well and was fairly forward and John had entered her in a race at Southwell in a couple of weeks.  On the day of the race we trooped down there and decided that we would just have a small bet that day given we didn't know how she would react to her racecourse debut etc.  I had a ton on at 11/2 and she ran well enough and came third.  We were delighted and after the race John suggested we sent her to Chester for a decent maiden at the May festival which would suit her size etc but as it was over 5f she would need a good draw but with a decent draw we would be able to get stuck in.    When the decs came out we looked and she had got the plum draw in 1.  In those days there were no prices in the morning for maidens etc but she was put in the paper at 10/1 which we thought was a cracking bet.  Both Dave and I decided to get mates off course to get us on and we both had a monkey e/w and she went off at 16/1.  Jumped out as you have to from that draw at Chester anmd by the one pole we were hugging each other and throwing the Posts in the air.  Great day!!!!  Not my biggest ever win but just knowing all of the variables were in place was such a good feeling especially when went exactly to plan.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: