blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:00:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272608 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Tips for Tikay
Pages: 1 ... 8902 8903 8904 8905 [8906] 8907 8908 8909 8910 ... 9208 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tips for Tikay  (Read 13438921 times)
sonour

View Profile
« Reply #133575 on: June 14, 2018, 07:27:55 PM »

Ref todays game, I see Russia are evens to kick off today, with Saudi about 1.8 to kick off, why is there such a discrepancy? Assume Russia would have a particular preference of an end in which to play to?

Non-host team has kicked off in the last 3 WCs, I believe.

Before that it was the previous champ who played the opener, rather than the host. Not sure if same principle applied then.

Somewhere in the back of my mind Fred bet on this in South Africa 2010.

Feed was just a twinkle in Camel's eye in 2010.

The big kick off bet I recall on Fred was the one Phil (bobby1) gave us in Super Bowl.

It was 2014. i posted it but then we decided to delete the post.
Bazzaboy

View Profile
« Reply #133576 on: June 14, 2018, 07:35:27 PM »

It’s a genuine flip though. The winner of the toss chooses which side. The loser of the toss kicks off. Unless the toss is rigged then it’s a flip.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #133577 on: June 14, 2018, 11:02:33 PM »

Thanks, sonour. Thought I was going mad.

It’s a genuine flip though. The winner of the toss chooses which side. The loser of the toss kicks off. Unless the toss is rigged then it’s a flip.

Do you have a source for that? I couldn't find one (and probably couldn't 4 years ago either).

This is the 4th World Cup in a row where the away team has kicked off in the opener. If it's a pure coin flip, it's a 15/1 shot.

Could it be a special arrangement for the opening WC game?

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #133578 on: June 14, 2018, 11:07:48 PM »

Do you have a source for that? I couldn't find one (and probably couldn't 4 years ago either).

This is the 4th World Cup in a row where the away team has kicked off in the opener. If it's a pure coin flip, it's a 15/1 shot.

It is an even money shot.   The past doesn't matter when flipping coins.  Unless you have some pretty strong evidence there is for this to be anon-random event, then just assume it is.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #133579 on: June 14, 2018, 11:09:47 PM »

I think the NFL one had a special reason, like one team always liked to receive and the other liked to kick off or similar?

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #133580 on: June 14, 2018, 11:13:44 PM »

It is an even money shot.   The past doesn't matter when flipping coins.  Unless you have some pretty strong evidence there is for this to be anon-random event, then just assume it is.

No, I mean it's 15/1 for 4 aways in a row, assuming it's 50/50 who kicks off. The event as a whole is four coin tosses.

I think the NFL one had a special reason, like one team always liked to receive and the other liked to kick off or similar?

That's a bit different, but similar. Here it's whether there's an agreement (possibly a Blatter-era FIFA initiative like so many others) that the host welcomes the visitor to make the first pass.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 11:20:30 PM by Tal » Logged

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #133581 on: June 15, 2018, 08:20:30 AM »

Leaderboard
-1 Henley, Piercy, Poulter, D. Johnson

E Dufner

Selected:

+1 Rose, Hoffman, Snedeker, Stenson

+2 Noren, Rodgers

+3 Cabrera-Bello, Fitzpatrick, Casey, Fowler,

+4 Kuchar, Oosthuizen, J. Thomas

+5 Kopeka, Hatton, Willett, Garcia, Lowry

+6 Fleetwood, Simpson

+7 Mickelson, Watson

+8 Spieth, Woods, Kaymer, Rahm

+10 McIlroy

rough old day and only going to get rougher as it firms up

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #133582 on: June 15, 2018, 08:43:19 AM »

It is an even money shot.   The past doesn't matter when flipping coins.  Unless you have some pretty strong evidence there is for this to be anon-random event, then just assume it is.

No, I mean it's 15/1 for 4 aways in a row, assuming it's 50/50 who kicks off. The event as a whole is four coin tosses.

That's a bit different, but similar. Here it's whether there's an agreement (possibly a Blatter-era FIFA initiative like so many others) that the host welcomes the visitor to make the first pass.

It is 7/1 now, as the first event doesn't matter.   You'd be just as surprised if there were 3 home tosses in a row as 3 away tosses in a row.  It was 3/1 before today, which is an even less sigificant result.  [Probability 2nd result is same as first result = 0.5.  Probabilty 3rd result is same 2nd result = 0.5.  Probability all 3 are the same is 0.5 x 0.5 = 0.25 or 3/1.   

It isn't similar to the NFL situation.  If the toss for the kick-off was rigged, do you not think one of the players, officials and other onlookers would have mentioned it? 

All seems a stretch to me. 

Streaks happen in random events, and randomness seems a way more likely reason than rigging. 

Anyway,  need sleep, gn.

horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #133583 on: June 15, 2018, 10:00:25 AM »

Anything to back up the golf is going to get harder?

Read a few bits this morning stating the players will adapt to the greens and the wind is due to die down a lot.

The spread firms have the winning scoring 10 under btw so they expect it to get easier as well
Bazzaboy

View Profile
« Reply #133584 on: June 15, 2018, 10:06:06 AM »

Law 8: The start and restart of play.

Kick off
PROCEDURE
the team that wins the toss of a coin decides which goal it will attack in the first half
their opponents take the kick-off
the team that wins the toss takes the kick-off to start the second half

They carried out the toss as normal yesterday and Russia won it. It seems rather fanciful that they would rig the toss just so the visitors could kick off.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #133585 on: June 15, 2018, 10:55:04 AM »

Read a few bits this morning stating the players will adapt to the greens and the wind is due to die down a lot.

The spread firms have the winning scoring 10 under btw so they expect it to get easier as well

just that yesterday was rain softened, that the wind yesterday will dry it out (no rain forecast) and already the greens were ridiculous

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #133586 on: June 15, 2018, 11:07:51 AM »

just that yesterday was rain softened, that the wind yesterday will dry it out (no rain forecast) and already the greens were ridiculous

I don’t see how it gets to -10. Loving the early starters today though, looking hot and sunny all three days. Has to mean tough greens, I agree with Tighty.
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #133587 on: June 15, 2018, 01:32:38 PM »

I don’t see how it gets to -10. Loving the early starters today though, looking hot and sunny all three days. Has to mean tough greens, I agree with Tighty.

The USGA can almost determine the winning score by how they set the course up - not sure they would have -10 in their minds.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #133588 on: June 15, 2018, 01:34:27 PM »

Bazza, Doobs, thanks for your responses.

I've got four years to convince myself again.

kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #133589 on: June 15, 2018, 02:18:34 PM »

The USGA can almost determine the winning score by how they set the course up - not sure they would have -10 in their minds.

I’ve always liked the ‘par should win’ ethos.
Pages: 1 ... 8902 8903 8904 8905 [8906] 8907 8908 8909 8910 ... 9208 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: