blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:40:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Capello resigns
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Capello resigns  (Read 32227 times)
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 29, 2012, 08:54:50 PM »

The thing really With Hodgson is this, if he were an overseas coach he would be lauded for what he has achieved in his career.

Most people judge him by the way he talks not what he has done.

In over 20 seasons outside Scandinavia he has won nothing.

IMO the fact he's English has him as highly rated as he is. (That and his many friends in the media)

If he was Spanish he'd be hammered and given a nickname like the fat Spanish waiter.

cant agree hodgson has many friends in the media ? compared to good old 'arry he has very very few

Alverton

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 29, 2012, 08:57:31 PM »

Actually don't mind Woy

Weally? Woy had his chance wunning Livewpool, weally couldn't handle the wigmarole of wunning a bigger weputation club,,,,,,i weally rorry for England.....hope I'm wong

Never gave him a chance from day one, imo.  From just my outside perspective looking in; hard to do a job when the fans are hankering for the liverpool legend breathing down his neck.  

The signings of Poulsen, Konchesky were shit though.
The Baron

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 29, 2012, 08:59:21 PM »

The thing really With Hodgson is this, if he were an overseas coach he would be lauded for what he has achieved in his career.

IMO the fact he's English has him as highly rated as he is. (That and his many friends in the media)

If he was Spanish he'd be hammered and given a nickname like the fat Spanish waiter.

and Redknapp?

Also has friends in the media....

No but on a serious note he's won an FA Cup, managed in the Champions League recently and shown that he is capable of handling big players. The way Spurs have dealt with Modric has been excellent.

I'm looking at a small sample in Woy's time at my club, but the players hated playing under him. Reina was told to hoof the ball, Daniel Agger, easily our best and most cultured defender didn't get games and was heard being told to "just launch the fucking thing" and we played terribly.

Would he be good for England? Strangely he might (as per Rod's point above) but I do not believe he is as good as some people think he is.
The Baron

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 29, 2012, 09:01:44 PM »

cant agree hodgson has many friends in the media ? compared to good old 'arry he has very very few

Only he does though? Granted he probably has less than Arry, but the twitter speak aimed at Hodgson for England over Capello was ridiculous considering their CVs at the time (who knew in hindsight) and it was all from, you guessed it, UK journos.

I am totally unsurprised Arry has fallen through and they've moved onto everyone's second best mate in Woy.
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 29, 2012, 09:02:14 PM »

and Redknapp?

No but on a serious note he's won an FA Cup, managed in the Champions League recently and shown that he is capable of handling big players. The way Spurs have dealt with Modric has been excellent.

I'm looking at a small sample in Woy's time at my club, but the players hated playing under him. Reina was told to hoof the ball, Daniel Agger, easily our best and most cultured defender didn't get games and was heard being told to "just launch the fucking thing" and we played terribly.

Would he be good for England? Strangely he might (as per Rod's point above) but I do not believe he is as good as some people think he is.

That is a wind up, yes?

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
Alverton

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 29, 2012, 09:03:48 PM »

Moyes never won anything, I don't think lesser of him for that.
WarBwastard

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 29, 2012, 09:03:53 PM »

Not such a bad decision really.  If the players and media give him a chance.  England need a manager who knows how to win cups rather than a manager who can win a Championship over 38 games.  Hodgson has never spent more than a couple of years in one job.  So his successes are all cup final appearances really.  He'll be asked to take an average team to a final of a tournament where they'll play teams much better than them.  That's essentially what he's been trying to do his whole career in one sentence.

The problem he will have is all the Harry Redknapp people will be desperate to see him fail.  They'll be on his back straight away and England never start well in big tournaments.  And unfortunately we discriminate awfully over superficial things like his speech impediment.  We think it's a sign of weakness and that's how he's seen I think.  The journos will constantly be asking him where England are ranked.

http://la-boca-de-la-cueva.blogspot.com/

http://mexico.worldcupblog.org/

"War does not determine who is right - only who is left." -- Bertrand Russell
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 29, 2012, 09:04:29 PM »

twitter and the daily papers arefull of journos falling over themselves to fawn over a'rry on a daily basis

do not see anything like the same towards hodgson, i by no means think he is a top drawer appointment but he is a good choice at this stage imo
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 29, 2012, 09:04:43 PM »

and Redknapp?

That is a wind up, yes?

Redknapps biggest achievement with a big club, which you seem to be ranking Roy on  was spending fortunes and turning Spurs from the 6th best club in England to the 5th best club in England.

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
The Baron

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 29, 2012, 09:06:15 PM »

Moyes never won anything, I don't think lesser of him for that.

Fair comment. I rate Moyes highly FWIW.
The Baron

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 29, 2012, 09:08:29 PM »

and Redknapp?

That is a wind up, yes?

Redknapps biggest achievement with a big club, which you seem to be ranking Roy on  was spending fortunes and turning Spurs from the 6th best club in England to the 5th best club in England.

He's won the FA Cup with Pompey and taken Spurs into the Champions League (from the relegation zone the season before) in the very recent past.
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 29, 2012, 09:09:37 PM »

he has also heavily contributed to portsmouths inflated wage bill which has not helped there current predicament

anthonyl
Old blog:

www.lindfield1984.blogspot.com

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 29, 2012, 09:11:16 PM »

he has also heavily contributed to portsmouths inflated wage bill which has not helped there current predicament

how is it his fault?Huh?Huh???

The Baron

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 29, 2012, 09:12:05 PM »

Agree.

I'm not saying Arry is the best coach ever, I think he's overrated fwiw, but I think he's a better candidate than Hodgson.

Tbh I don't think any of the English candidates are that good but what can you do?
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 29, 2012, 09:13:35 PM »

not a lot

it is all kind of irrelevant all the while the players are so technically behind the counterparts in terms of keeping the ball anyway

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 ... 18 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: