blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:26:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Capello resigns
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Capello resigns  (Read 32235 times)
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: April 29, 2012, 09:34:41 PM »

There's no doubt my man Roy is a top top technical coach and a thoroughly good guy. What he does really well is get decent professional footballers organised and working for each other in a disciplined way. Hence he will go to clubs like Fulham/WBA and be able to improve a situation. His international CV is fantastically diverse but it does only include improvement jobs with smaller nations where his skills are best utilised. We see when my man Roy steps up to clubs with a winning expectation with world class players his organising skills don't seem to inspire.

At top international level the players are already organised and have world class ability so they need somebody to inspire them not improve them. Roy can inspire decent pros because of his knowledge and the thought he has the ability to take them to the next level. But it's personality that's needed in the England job and I'm afraid with them tweed brown suits my man Roy is found wanting.

which players in the current england squad are world class please?

Joe Hart, John Terry, Ashley Cole, Frank Lampard, Stevie G, Wayne Rooney

John Terry, Frank Lampard and Steve Gerrard??

They weren't even world class in their prime let alone now.

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 29, 2012, 09:35:19 PM »

There's no doubt my man Roy is a top top technical coach and a thoroughly good guy. What he does really well is get decent professional footballers organised and working for each other in a disciplined way. Hence he will go to clubs like Fulham/WBA and be able to improve a situation. His international CV is fantastically diverse but it does only include improvement jobs with smaller nations where his skills are best utilised. We see when my man Roy steps up to clubs with a winning expectation with world class players his organising skills don't seem to inspire.

At top international level the players are already organised and have world class ability so they need somebody to inspire them not improve them. Roy can inspire decent pros because of his knowledge and the thought he has the ability to take them to the next level. But it's personality that's needed in the England job and I'm afraid with them tweed brown suits my man Roy is found wanting.

which players in the current england squad are world class please?

Joe Hart, John Terry, Ashley Cole, Frank Lampard, Stevie G, Wayne Rooney

Always wonder about the definition of world class - think I could pick at least 4 world teams before any of these would get in -with the possible exception of Ashley Cole

sola virtus nobilitat
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 29, 2012, 09:36:19 PM »

The thing really With Hodgson is this, if he were an overseas coach he would be lauded for what he has achieved in his career.

Most people judge him by the way he talks not what he has done.

In over 20 seasons outside Scandinavia he has won nothing.

IMO the fact he's English has him as highly rated as he is. (That and his many friends in the media)

If he was Spanish he'd be hammered and given a nickname like the fat Spanish waiter.

and Redknapp?

Also has friends in the media....

No but on a serious note he's won an FA Cup, managed in the Champions League recently and shown that he is capable of handling big players. The way Spurs have dealt with Modric has been excellent.

I'm looking at a small sample in Woy's time at my club, but the players hated playing under him. Reina was told to hoof the ball, Daniel Agger, easily our best and most cultured defender didn't get games and was heard being told to "just launch the fucking thing" and we played terribly.

Would he be good for England? Strangely he might (as per Rod's point above) but I do not believe he is as good as some people think he is.

That is a wind up, yes?

Redknapps biggest achievement with a big club, which you seem to be ranking Roy on  was spending fortunes and turning Spurs from the 6th best club in England to the 5th best club in England.

He's won the FA Cup with Pompey and taken Spurs into the Champions League (from the relegation zone the season before) in the very recent past.

so he has won 1 cup in his career and that makes him a better coach than Hodgson?

Taking Spurs from the relegation spots in the Prem being his second best achievement really says nothing but you are clutching at straws. I would back any club manager in charge of every club in England to do that.

What is there to be better than?? Hodgson hasn't won anything outside of Scandanavia. Ever. Like I said above neither is a "great" coach. The whole country seems to rate Redknapp more highly than Hodgson but you seem surprised I do?

Jol couldn't make the CL Spots (from 5th) Ramos (twice back-to-back Europa League winner - which you seem to rate highly as Hodgson finalled it) couldn't from 5th place either.

Harry did it from relegation zone to 4th in under 18 months. The first coach to break the regular top 4 since Moyes did it in 2005 with Everton. It was a huge achievement. And his net spend wasn't very big in his first 18 months. I would actually rate it more highly than his FA Cup win. If you asked him if he'd rather have 4th this season or another FA Cup I'm sure he'd take 4th in a heartbeat.

Then David Moyes should be a certainty if we are using those criteria...and Redknapp has, as usual spent a fortune to achieve what he has

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
TheDazzler

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 29, 2012, 09:40:15 PM »

The FA felt they had to choose an Englishman. They have a choice of pretty much 2 guys. The difference between the 2 is small.
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 29, 2012, 09:40:48 PM »

I'm not really surprised at your opinion Baron, but your red glasses have got in the way of judging Hodgson. How long did he manage Liverpool for?

The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 29, 2012, 09:40:56 PM »

Not going to bother commenting on this thread.

Just +1 to everything Bobby says.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 29, 2012, 09:43:15 PM »

Joe Hart probably just yes
John Terry at his absolute best yes been exposed many times for england though
Ashley Cole yes
Frank Lampard at club level yes never been convinced for england
Stevie G name the performances for england ?
Wayne Rooney yes

Terry is not world class. Parker is more world class than him!

Kyle Walker thoooo.

SUPERB.

It doesn't matter about our opinion anyway. Every prem footballer earning £60k+ a week on international duty will think they ARE world class, so they prob wont respond to Roy lecturing about the virtues of tracking back. They need somebody who can inspire. We've seen AVB try and get too technical with world class players yet it's Di Matteo who comes in and creates a team.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 29, 2012, 09:44:30 PM »

Ashley Cole yes
Wayne Rooney yes

Terry is not world class. Parker is more world class than him!

Kyle Walker thoooo.

SUPERB.

It doesn't matter about our opinion anyway. Every prem footballer earning £60k+ a week on international duty will think they ARE world class, so they prob wont respond to Roy lecturing about the virtues of tracking back. They need somebody who can inspire. We've seen AVB try and get too technical with world class players yet it's Di Matteo who comes in and creates a team.

this is surely more a reflection on english players having massive egos than the managers involved? I wouldnt mind if they have achieved at international level but they havent
The Baron

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 29, 2012, 09:46:53 PM »

Far too much quoting going on.

Agree on Moyes. But he's Scottish....

Redknapp's spending at Spurs has been fine. His spend when he had them in 4th place was 5th highest wage bill and 6th highest transfer net spend. I'm not sure why "spend" would be any kind of barrier to a national team job anyway.

I am not denying I don't rate Hodgson as much as some due to what he did at Anfield. But his record aside from Liverpool still isn't spectacular. He's had what 10 away wins in his entire Premier league career as a manager? Maybe it's 12 now? Hardly the coach I'd be picking for the top job.

Uninspiring.
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 29, 2012, 09:49:53 PM »

but how many away wins did he have outside England, you seem to want to judge the guy only by what you have seen him do, not what he has actually done.

Josedinho

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 29, 2012, 09:50:49 PM »

Rod nailed it, tongue in cheek or not, Roy makes poor teams better. That's sort of what England need for the Euros not sure he's the right long term choice but there isn't really strong competition which is why I'm pretty "meh" about the situation. I wouldn't choose him or Harry but if they get a crack at it then good luck to them.
sovietsong

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 29, 2012, 09:51:21 PM »

Ashley Cole yes
Wayne Rooney yes

this logic baffles me, so messi isnt world class?

In the category of Funniest Poster I nominate sovietsong. - mantis 21/12/2012
The Baron

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 29, 2012, 09:54:41 PM »

but how many away wins did he have outside England, you seem to want to judge the guy only by what you have seen him do, not what he has actually done.

Not at all. I hate the "it only counts coz it happened in Ingerland" theory. You'll find his win ratio is unimpressive wherever he's been save managing Switzerland or in the Scandinavian leagues.

I'm not "voting for Redknapp" here but he's quite clearly had better recent success with a big club.
The Baron

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 29, 2012, 09:55:50 PM »

Rod nailed it, tongue in cheek or not, Roy makes poor teams better. That's sort of what England need for the Euros not sure he's the right long term choice but there isn't really strong competition which is why I'm pretty "meh" about the situation. I wouldn't choose him or Harry but if they get a crack at it then good luck to them.

This.
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 29, 2012, 10:08:13 PM »

strange theory on messi

voted player of tourney in copa america 2007

seven assists and two man of the match performances in the 2010 world cup

pretty solid to me
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: