blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 10, 2024, 12:23:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272953 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Arsenal FC a very promising story
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 ... 279 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Arsenal FC a very promising story  (Read 611963 times)
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: March 22, 2014, 12:52:45 PM »

I have 15/8 to finish Top 3

I have a decent bet at 7/2 to win a trophy this year

I also have a moderate bet at 11-1 to win the title.

I support my team.

I even agree that any successor to AW would struggle to emulate his achievements. My point all along is that he could have done so much better and the STILL unanswered and avoided question by nearly all you clever people(and Ralph) is HOW LONG do you give him? For me his time is up, but by Christ I shall still cheer the lads on, and hope he keeps his job by the default of their efforts.

Red gives him an open contract. I suspect he doesn't support a Top five/six team....all about standards and what you're used to/expect in life.

But then isn't it your expectation that's too high?

23 top 4 finishes without Wenger in 92 seasons.
18 top 4 finishes with Wenger in 18 seasons.

He's surpassed expectation surely? Why should you be used to titles every year?

I'm not taking the piss, genuinely interested.

Whilst he achieves this level of success I'd sit in the longer contract camp. Give him a good few seasons to build his side.

Adz is levelling us all and sitting at home laughing as he reels us all in.  He knows arsenal are running way above expectations for the past 18 years.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: March 22, 2014, 12:57:36 PM »

I presume he has won a trophy since we last spoke?

You can maths it up all you like arboy, but I know most of this stuff and I still would swap cash for trophies.

We charge the fans the most expensive matchday ticket club in the country, and I for one think we deserve a bit more for their buck

Would you swap an FA cup like pompey did for potentially going out of business by blowing all your cash spending recklessly?  Or become the next Leeds by over spending and sending your club into a 15 year downward spiral???  Leeds were as big a club as arsenal 15 years ago but i assume through your blinkered glasses that arsenal are far too big for that to ever happen to them.  In the same way Arsenal have an absolute right to farm trophies every season?
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: March 22, 2014, 12:59:59 PM »

I presume he has won a trophy since we last spoke?

You can maths it up all you like arboy, but I know most of this stuff and I still would swap cash for trophies.

We charge the fans the most expensive matchday ticket club in the country, and I for one think we deserve a bit more for their buck

but you aren't making any sense

the landscape has changed a lot since Arsenal were a sure thing to win trophies

chelsea and man c with gazillions to spend for starters

there is no divine right for a side like arsenal to win trophies, and these days the Premier League, top 4 in the Premier league and the champions league are the only achievements that matter

if the league cup mattered, and he really cared about winning that trophy, he wouldn't play the kids in it.

you are focussed on the wrong thing

the achievement of top 4 year in year out on that net spend is mesmerisingly good

I'd give him a contract til he wants to retire. at the very least let him do the job now the spending shackles can be loosened post stadium build/payment

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: March 22, 2014, 01:06:26 PM »

LOL @ arboy.

As I said, earlier(obviously ignored in your blind efforts to wind me up) I felt a purchase of a Suarez at £70m ish would have won us the title. That is hardly sending us spiralling into a financial abyss.

I maybe wrong, but that was the point.

As for pulling up stats based on the last 110 seasons. Yeah, nice one. The game is exactly the same as it was in 1904, when I expect no team had more than a few bob to spend.

Anyway, the game is on....

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: March 22, 2014, 01:06:54 PM »

cute adz arriving on tilt after the chelski spend provides the quality finish arsenal didn't have 1 minute earlier at the other end Grin

Cue 2-0 Chelski as i type and hit save!!!!
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: March 22, 2014, 01:09:45 PM »

cute adz arriving on tilt after the chelski spend provides the quality finish arsenal didn't have 1 minute earlier at the other end Grin

Cue 2-0 Chelski as i type and hit save!!!!

Cute....thanks arboy.

Hardly tilt, when its been expected.

Anyway. I shall leave the haters to it.

The Baron

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: March 22, 2014, 01:11:37 PM »

As for pulling up stats based on the last 110 seasons. Yeah, nice one. The game is exactly the same as it was in 1904, when I expect no team had more than a few bob to spend.

The point you've missed is that your expectation is too high. Whether you think so or not Arsenal are clearly running way ahead of the curve and you want your manager gone for it. Very strange.

Agree about Suarez though. He is the shizzle.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: March 22, 2014, 01:15:07 PM »

LOL @ arboy.

As I said, earlier(obviously ignored in your blind efforts to wind me up) I felt a purchase of a Suarez at £70m ish would have won us the title. That is hardly sending us spiralling into a financial abyss.

Why would suar have won you the title when he couldn't have played any better for the scousers this year and won't be winning them the title either?  Do you think arsenals squad is much better than liverpool's?  I love your loyalty but you have to get real.  

It's def you levelling us.  Not me winding you up.  You are secretly laughing at us all as you know deep down arsenal are very happy just being in the top 4 every year.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: March 22, 2014, 01:15:41 PM »

Anyway. I shall leave the haters to it.

no one posting on here is a hater. logical, sensible points being brushed aside by someone blinkered on this issue, thats all

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
redarmi

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: March 22, 2014, 01:16:14 PM »

LOL @ arboy.

Sorry mate but this is one of the most ridiculous comments I have ever read.  He had a buyout clause in his contract for 40m.  Arsenal offered 40m+1 and Liverpool, probably illegally, refused to sell.  Do you really want your club to go around offering 75% more than the buyout clause for players?

BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: March 22, 2014, 01:20:17 PM »

Last word from me, as we look buried already.

You lot are missing the point.

I accept we cant win something every year, but at what point do you say enough is enough? 8, 10, 20 years? The plain fact is, every dog has its day, and should then be relieved of duty.
Do Arsenal let Arsene go on til he dies? No, don't be stupid. So at some point before then you call it a day. I say now.

This year we ran above expectation and a good/with it manager would have accepted that he needed extra player/s when the transfer window opened, but Wenger has become so stubborn it was clear he wouldn't buy, almost to prove himself right in the face of fan support for the idea.

Its backfired in a big way. Oh yes, he did buy....a guy who was already injured by all accounts....I don't see him ever spending the sort of dollar required. In this day and age, you need to.

BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: March 22, 2014, 01:22:28 PM »

LOL @ arboy.

Sorry mate but this is one of the most ridiculous comments I have ever read.  He had a buyout clause in his contract for 40m.  Arsenal offered 40m+1 and Liverpool, probably illegally, refused to sell.  Do you really want your club to go around offering 75% more than the buyout clause for players?

Blimey, I pick out a notional figure and it one of THE MOST RIDICULOUS COMMENTS YOU HAVE EVER READ. You obviously don't read a great deal red. I can find you hundereds better just in this forum.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: March 22, 2014, 01:23:38 PM »

Joking aside - and I do have some sick in my mouth - I agree with Adz.

At least insofar as I'd prefer my team in arsenal's position to have spent an extra £100m (still less than the three around us) and had a genuine shot in a number of competitions for a few years. They're basically two players away from doing just that. Fans paying £3k a year for season tickets or whatever can only be appeased so far by being told the club is in a fabulous financial position.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: March 22, 2014, 01:40:41 PM »

At least insofar as I'd prefer my team in arsenal's position to have spent an extra £100m (still less than the three around us) and had a genuine shot in a number of competitions for a few years. They're basically two players away from doing just that. Fans paying £3k a year for season tickets or whatever can only be appeased so far by being told the club is in a fabulous financial position.

If arsenal had spent £100m this year they still wouldn't have won the league on the balance of probabilities. Spurs have spent £100m and gone backwards this season.  That would have bought them Suar or Bale and a couple of squad players at this level.  To 'buy' the league nowadays costs way more than arsenal have at their disposal.  Hence why Arsenal should be happy finishing top 4 because they cannot compete financially at the very top of the table even if they do blow the crown jewels they have saved up.
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: March 22, 2014, 01:51:11 PM »

If arsenal had spent £100m this year they still wouldn't have won the league on the balance of probabilities. Spurs have spent £100m and gone backwards this season.  That would have bought them Suar or Bale and a couple of squad players at this level.  To 'buy' the league nowadays costs way more than arsenal have at their disposal.  Hence why Arsenal should be happy finishing top 4 because they cannot compete financially at the very top of the table even if they do blow the crown jewels they have saved up.

So until 10 weeks ago why were we top. Had it been the first 3 weeks of the season you have an argument, but when half the games have been played, I think you can say the team was good enough. Injuries were ineveitable, and as the majority of fans agreed we needed to strengthen to .keep up our challenge, I dont think I am on my own in my viewpoint. It needed money to be spent and luck with injuries, but we did have the team to do it. Wenger ignored all the cries for spending, and the rest is history.

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 ... 279 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: