blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 10:51:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272619 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Arsenal FC a very promising story
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 ... 279 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Arsenal FC a very promising story  (Read 605222 times)
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: March 21, 2014, 03:47:21 PM »

To put some numbers to the arsenal trophy debate.  At the start of this season they were as follows:

EPL 14/1
Champs League 33/1
FA/Capital one cup 10/1 both

Therefore assuming each event is unrelated to the chances of arsenal winning any of the others arsenal to go through 2013/14 season without winning a trophy is as follows: (1.07 x 1.03 x 1.09 x 1.09 = 1.31)  So they were 76% likely to win nothing this season.  So if we take these figures for a 5 year period (1.31 to power 5) its only an 11/4 shot (26% likely) that arsenal go 5 years without winning a trophy.  When you actually do the maths what has actually happened isn't as unlikely as the vast majority of arsenal fans would realise.

Bloody hell. Is there anything you ain't an expert on arboy?!!

I support my team and I wish they would do better, and I'm having a rant. I don't need Mr Logic spouting numbers at me to justify their mediocrity and why I should be happy. Thank you for the insight though.

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: March 21, 2014, 03:55:37 PM »

To put some numbers to the arsenal trophy debate.  At the start of this season they were as follows:

EPL 14/1
Champs League 33/1
FA/Capital one cup 10/1 both

Therefore assuming each event is unrelated to the chances of arsenal winning any of the others arsenal to go through 2013/14 season without winning a trophy is as follows: (1.07 x 1.03 x 1.09 x 1.09 = 1.31)  So they were 76% likely to win nothing this season.  So if we take these figures for a 5 year period (1.31 to power 5) its only an 11/4 shot (26% likely) that arsenal go 5 years without winning a trophy.  When you actually do the maths what has actually happened isn't as unlikely as the vast majority of arsenal fans would realise.

Bloody hell. Is there anything you ain't an expert on arboy?!!

I support my team and I wish they would do better, and I'm having a rant. I don't need Mr Logic spouting numbers at me to justify their mediocrity and why I should be happy. Thank you for the insight though.

no worries.  Just trying to help you rant less and enjoy life more and realise how good you have it as an arsenal fan.  I will leave you in peace to grumble alone. 
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 03:58:17 PM by arbboy » Logged
The Baron

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: March 21, 2014, 05:27:34 PM »

How ironic that the flat track bully(a racing term, loosely meaning he can beat those teams worse than him, but capitulates easily when facing tougher opposition) meets someone that seems to completely have his measure in this milestone fixture.

Originally a cricket term, reference Graeme Hick most notably

Well done to Mr Wenger. turned down Real Madrid, Bayern Munich and England, stayed loyal and has his reward. good job done

So says a Leicester fan.....?

Yes. I'm allowed an opinion!

Don't Arsenal pretty much finish every year exactly where they should in the league? Over the past ten years all of these statements are true imo. They are not the biggest spending club in the EPL by far on salaries and/or transfer fees, they don't have the biggest fan base globally in the EPL, they don't have the biggest ground in the EPL, they don't have the richest owners in the EPL.  Given the club has successfully paid off a huge stadium project in the past 10 years or so i think Wenger has done an amazing job of securing Champions League football (a major revenue source) each and every year during this period.  Given it's an era dominated by two hugely wealthy owners at Chelski and Man City massively overspending and the dominance at Manure of the greatest manager of all time i struggle to see what Arsenal fans think should have happened realistically in the last 10 years?  Alongside my local club Stoke City i think Arsenal are a great example of how to run an EPL football club for the long term future of its owner's and fan's.

Precisely.

In 92 seasons Arsenal had 23 top 4 finishes before Wenger. This year will be 18 out of 18 with him.

Not sure he's underachieved at all.

Can quite easily argue that since 2004 (Abramovic impact) and the ridiculous landscape change since then he's actually over achieved.
The Baron

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: March 21, 2014, 05:29:51 PM »

All valid points. Shame we have £175m plus in our cash reserves we cant/won't "compete with the big three" with.........
this isn't a shame, its a good thing. Arsenal are run with ultimate long term thinking and you have to admire that in an industry that does the opposite. Any crack in the tv rights market and tighter finncial fair play rules will see arsenal get stronger as others weaken

What I would give for my club to have been run half this well in the last 10 years.
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: March 21, 2014, 08:19:54 PM »

BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: March 21, 2014, 08:24:52 PM »

Nice one horsey. I think I felt the same in 2008.

We are six years later my friend. How long should the man be given? Another six? You tell me, cos no one ever answers that one?

Keep digging if your trying to find some evidence that you think will

a, make me change my mind

b, feel bad/stupid about thinking the way I do.

BorntoBubble

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: March 21, 2014, 08:27:22 PM »

Wenger has had a brilliant career at aresenal and im so suprised he is not thought of in the same light as Sir Alex at United. Hes kept the Arse in the fight most years and kept them in the top 4 which is key these days, and thats taking into account he has had to contend with City and Chelskis bulging bank balances and the Alex Ferguson era at old trafford.

"ace high"

http://plascolwyn.co.uk/ - 9 Bed Self Catering Holiday let in Snowdonia, North Wales Pm for more details.

Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/CalMorgan7
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: March 21, 2014, 08:33:28 PM »

Probably because Fergy kept winning stuff......

Wenger readily admitted in interviews today he has treated Arsenal's money like his own. He must be a right tight git then, and he must all his prized possessions when they mean most to him, as that is how he has behaved at Arsenal.

Sensible, tacticly astute manager who let let opportunities to be in the Fergy bracket pass him by because he would sell our best and try and shop in the bargain aisle.

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: March 21, 2014, 08:50:09 PM »

Probably because Fergy kept winning stuff......

Wenger readily admitted in interviews today he has treated Arsenal's money like his own. He must be a right tight git then, and he must all his prized possessions when they mean most to him, as that is how he has behaved at Arsenal.

Sensible, tacticly astute manager who let let opportunities to be in the Fergy bracket pass him by because he would sell our best and try and shop in the bargain aisle.

He sold the vast majority of players at huge fees after arsenal had had their best years of their careers and let other clubs pay for their pension.  Very smart operator.  At the same time as using the proceeds to pay off the best modern club stadium in the uk.  Wouldn't mind Wenger managing my money over the vast majority of Premiership managers.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 08:55:19 PM by arbboy » Logged
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: March 21, 2014, 09:01:00 PM »

He's the best manager in the premier league and the shrewdest in the transfer market by far, as has been proven by his dealings over sixteen years.

Adz will not be happy until Usmanov gets the chair and we end up in the shithouse like Portsmouth or Leeds because unlike Adz, AW is hampered by a social conscience and a degree in economics.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: March 21, 2014, 09:11:45 PM »

Henry still had plenty of mileage. Just because he went to the wrong team, meh

Fabregas/RVP/Reyes

Not to mention Giles Grimandi/Pascal Cygan/Nelson Santos/Seb Squillachi/Denilson/Nicky B/Franny Jeffers/Park C Y/Gervinho/Inamoto/Richard Wright/Bischoff and lets not forget Manu Eboue, my all time fav signing......greats one and all.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: March 21, 2014, 09:21:17 PM »

Is there a case that Wenger has built his reputation through the luck of being in the right place at the right time?

He arrived at the time French football was the envy of the world and everyone was watching their national side start to dominate. He had a club built on solid foundations with a rock solid defensive unit, strong leadership through the pitch and an excellent striker. He brought in some of France's biggest talents to complement the squad and won trophies playing French football.

After his squad got old, he found French speaking talents to come in and do a good job, but they weren't of the same ilk. He then struggled to keep some of the other talents he'd recruited and his belligerent refusal to change his ways and buy big, rather than buying young and cheap meant he could only really be looking at finishing second in the league and having a run at the cups. He found some real talents but bought a lot of dross and the French recruits didn't meet up to the standard he was getting ten years before.

He's been kept in a job because the board love how he doesn't spend their money but still gets in the Champions League. The fans are broadly happy because you keep finishing above spurs.

Not really my view but I think there is some element of truth to it, insofar as he was brilliant at recruiting in the late nineties and there haven't been many of that level in the last few years.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: March 21, 2014, 09:28:48 PM »

The greatest thing he did was change the culture at arsenal which was all about drinking/drug taking and gambling pre AW and contributed to taking english football out of the dark ages into the modern athletes who now play the game.
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: March 21, 2014, 09:33:04 PM »

Nice one horsey. I think I felt the same in 2008.

We are six years later my friend. How long should the man be given? Another six? You tell me, cos no one ever answers that one?

Keep digging if your trying to find some evidence that you think will

a, make me change my mind

b, feel bad/stupid about thinking the way I do.

I do not have a view either way tbh can certainly see why he annoys some arsenal fans

No idea why you are getting so annoyed either tbh obviously missed the Wenger mickey takes i posted on fred fairly regular last year or so
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: March 21, 2014, 09:34:13 PM »

The greatest thing he did was change the culture at arsenal which was all about drinking/drug taking and gambling pre AW and contributed to taking english football out of the dark ages into the modern athletes who now play the game.

This, I agree with, still isn't worth 8 trophyless years though! Sad

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 ... 279 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: