blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:57:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Arsenal FC a very promising story
Pages: 1 ... 268 269 270 271 [272] 273 274 275 276 ... 279 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Arsenal FC a very promising story  (Read 600553 times)
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #4065 on: January 22, 2020, 09:03:02 PM »

I think it's safe to say that we have our Arsenal back.

Not sure if serious.

Why ever not?

I refer you to events occurring in the period between mid December 2019 and the present day at Manchester United with specific reference to the first three months...

As Arseblogger says in his piece about the game this morning:

"Our progress under the new manager when it comes to results is incremental; but in terms of what he's done with this squad, how he's changed the attitude and the mindset, what he's getting from them individually and collectively, and just the way we play the game, it's been massive. It's why I feel confident that if we continue in this vein the results will definitely come."

This is about right, slight improvement so far but mainly in attitude and effort. Still feels like we're a million miles off the football we once played but I think, in the end, most fans can accept that their team is currently crap as long as the effort and attitude looks OK.

Never gonna stop someone like Mustafi making the kind of howler he did last night or a player like Luiz committing a pretty brain dead foul at that stage of a game but, obviously, they're not in the same class as many other EPL centre halves. Mustafi kept his head and put in a decent shift for the rest of the game and so I find it pretty easy to forget the howler.

If you look at our players in comparison with the other sides. Finishing somewhere between 3rd and 7th would be about right and I'd hope we might make our way into that range this year. Tbf, I don't really care where we finish if it's not gonna be first as long as we look up for it, beat Tottenham and Man U at least once a year and seem to be on some kind of trajectory for improvement in the way we play.

sola virtus nobilitat
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #4066 on: January 22, 2020, 10:22:45 PM »

I think it's safe to say that we have our Arsenal back.

Not sure if serious.

Why ever not?

I refer you to events occurring in the period between mid December 2019 and the present day at Manchester United with specific reference to the first three months...

As Arseblogger says in his piece about the game this morning:

"Our progress under the new manager when it comes to results is incremental; but in terms of what he's done with this squad, how he's changed the attitude and the mindset, what he's getting from them individually and collectively, and just the way we play the game, it's been massive. It's why I feel confident that if we continue in this vein the results will definitely come."

That piece could have been a cut and paste job from a United blog post of a year ago. I’m not saying that Arteta can’t maintain the improvement, just reflecting on the similarity of the early impact.

The Wenger - Ferguson years were good though weren’t they. Viera vs Keane was a proper midfield battle that could be savoured.

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #4067 on: February 16, 2020, 07:11:02 PM »

It sure feels good to have a positive goal-difference again.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #4068 on: February 17, 2020, 05:03:24 PM »

Interesting listen for arsenal fans of a certain age - Ian Wright on Desert Island Discs:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000fdxw

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4069 on: February 17, 2020, 05:21:13 PM »

Interesting listen for arsenal fans of a certain age - Ian Wright on Desert Island Discs:

I only qualify for one part of that caveat, but I enjoyed it all the same.

The older I get, the better I was.
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #4070 on: February 17, 2020, 05:34:09 PM »

I only qualify for one part of that caveat, but I enjoyed it all the same.

Us blubbers stick together Tom.

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #4071 on: February 23, 2020, 06:31:27 PM »

Twenty minutes behind the sofa is not as comfortable as it used to be..

Up The Arse!

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #4072 on: March 07, 2020, 05:08:34 PM »

By my reckoning watching Arsenal games age me about five years per game, especially today's.

Atkinson is a dreadful example of one of our "top referees".

Noose

View Profile
« Reply #4073 on: March 11, 2020, 05:49:32 AM »

Man city game postponed.
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #4074 on: June 21, 2020, 08:24:20 PM »

Struggling to find anything positive to say about my beloved Arsenal as they have been well and truly Kroenke-ed.

Here is an uplifting recent piece from a US-based gooner/blogger/single-parent who also happens to be a wonderful cook:

https://7amkickoff.com/index.php/2020/06/21/im-going-to-paddleboard-this-motherfucker/

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #4075 on: July 04, 2020, 07:27:31 PM »

Boom Saka Laca!

Just wanted to get in before the red-tops.

nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #4076 on: July 04, 2020, 07:59:09 PM »

Boom Saka Laca!

Just wanted to get in before the red-tops.

Pretty good :-)

sola virtus nobilitat
Archer

View Profile
« Reply #4077 on: July 04, 2020, 08:31:35 PM »

Move up to 3rd place in the 2020 calendar year table - 1 point ahead of United and just 6 behind Liverpool.

Pretty good to be fair to Arteta.

Scored 23 and conceded 13 from 13 games. Exactly the same as Liverpool in 2020 Smiley 
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4078 on: July 18, 2020, 09:43:56 PM »

What a great performance.

The older I get, the better I was.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #4079 on: July 18, 2020, 09:55:48 PM »

What a great performance.

Aye, was good to see :-)