blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:32:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  "Catching Jokes" and "That was jokes"
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Catching Jokes" and "That was jokes"  (Read 3235 times)
permanentquandary
DTD Dealer: Adam

View Profile
« on: May 30, 2012, 04:33:46 AM »

Being a Kent man these phrases boggle my mind. Where I'm from, we say things such as "har har, that was witty of you, Percival" and "One is amused". OK not really. But we do say "that was hilarious" or "oh my god that was sooooooo funny" and the like. You know. Things that actually make sense.

Nottingham is weird.

"Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever."
Josedinho

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 07:03:56 AM »

Going to go out on a limb and say it's not a Nottingham thing. Pretty sure it's come from the South.
corkeye

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 07:25:14 AM »

Yeah it's a london thing.

corkeye

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 07:26:24 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbz6lHh8Z5U

just reminded me of a classic track Wink
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 08:56:53 AM »

yep, I also thought jokes was a london thing

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
Matt.NFFC.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 09:45:17 AM »

Being a Kent man these phrases boggle my mind. Where I'm from, we say things such as "har har, that was witty of you, Percival" and "One is amused". OK not really. But we do say "that was hilarious" or "oh my god that was sooooooo funny" and the like. You know. Things that actually make sense.

Nottingham is weird.

Lived in Notts all my life and I've never heard these.  The title makes no sense to me at all??
zerofive

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 04:01:38 PM »

Confirmed these types of slang phrases emerged from the streets of north London and have travelled as far north as Manchester (maybe even further, but nobody knows what anyone is saying any further north than that.)

It's a way of making the speaker sound less vulnerable when speaking about something where emotion is required. For example, let's decipher this phrase. "Catch" refers to the way a fire would catch, or in which one would catch an illness. "Bare" means very, a lot, or lots of. "Joke" is an adjective in this case, based loosely on the word "funny." So "catching bare joke" is a less girly way of saying "oh my, I'm suffering from a case of what would be the giggles if I weren't too proud to laugh hysterically in public."

This might help, Adam:

Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 07:45:28 PM »

Nottingham is weird.

Lived in Notts all my life and I've never heard these.  The title makes no sense to me at all??

I've lived in London all my life and never heard them either.  Must be coz I'm old.

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: