blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 09:13:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  my very impatient Dad
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: my very impatient Dad  (Read 34402 times)
ScottMGee

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2012, 12:09:18 AM »

Sounds cool. Wish I knew a lot more about their history. Gonna sit down and have a chat about the army with my old man before its too late

How about asking your Dad to request your grandad's service record? Nearest relatives are supposed to ask for this. This gives very basic information, i.e. which regiments he served in, where he was posted, disclipinary record!, etc.

Also, consider taping / videoing your chats with your Dad about the War.
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2012, 12:34:50 AM »

I wish your dad all the best David and look forward to further updates.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2012, 11:09:37 AM »

My grandad was called Jim Herbert and I think he boxed for the reg as he was known as "Rocky" and i have a picture of him with the gloves on. I don't know how unusual it is to find a cockney in the reg as I would have thought the majority would have been scots. I know my dad was a drill instructor and I think my grandad may have been too so even tho he was a few years older they could have easily crossed paths.

Argyll n Sutherland Highlanders

My Late Grandad's regiment! (he fought at El Alamein)

Wer'e off to Stirling Castle (home of the regimental museum) next month.

I asked Dad if he knew Jim 'Rocky' Herbert and no, he didn't Jase. He was 2nd Battalion apparently and only served in Europe so I guess he wouldn't have met Scott's Granddad either.

He made a trip to Stirling Castle some years ago and enjoyed it very much. The lady who runs the shop there was very helpful when I was sourcing an Argyll Tartan Stable Belt for him to wear as an In-Pensioner. they don't sell them, but she pointed me in exactly the right direction.

He's in his last week as a civilian now, and spending it saying farewell for now to his Northampton friends and family. Outings; teas; dinners all being lined up for him through the week. By Monday he may need to start dieting for weight loss. Two years ago he was having to put weight on following his triple bypass.

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
hector62

Homo doctus is se semper divitias habet

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2012, 11:28:14 AM »

That last paragraph makes it sound like he's off to prison. Could you elaborate on what this actually entails and what they do with their days there?

Puristville, Arizona.  Population (1)
smashedagain
moderator of moderators

if you are gonna kiss arse you have to do it right

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2012, 11:46:27 AM »

This is great stuff mate. I bet he has some great stories to tell. Maybe you could get him to do a diary on blonde Smiley

[ ] ept title
[ ] wpt title
[ ] wsop braclet
[X] mickey mouse hoodies
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2012, 12:43:43 PM »

My information on the life of an In-Pensioner is still somewhat limited, but I'll update as I discover more and see if it's of interest to others.

It's definitely not a prison, it's more like being back in the Army. But with a lot less drill and bull.

Geo the Sarge

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2012, 08:16:19 PM »

My information on the life of an In-Pensioner is still somewhat limited, but I'll update as I discover more and see if it's of interest to others.

It's definitely not a prison, it's more like being back in the Army. But with a lot less drill and bull.

The BBC done a documetary in 2006 within the hospital, not on Iplayer but the DVD of the series can be bought from the shop at RHC

http://www.chelsea-pensioners.co.uk/once-a-solider

I wish your dad the very best in his 2nd "career."

A friend of mine was the permanant staff RSM there a couple of years back and by all accounts loved every minute of his time there

Geo

When you get..........give. When you learn.......teach
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2012, 08:19:32 PM »

The BBC done a documetary in 2006 within the hospital, not on Iplayer but the DVD of the series can be bought from the shop at RHC

http://www.chelsea-pensioners.co.uk/once-a-solider

I wish your dad the very best in his 2nd "career."

A friend of mine was the permanant staff RSM there a couple of years back and by all accounts loved every minute of his time there

Geo

It was watching a recent repeat of that documentary that set my Dad on the route to where he is now.

I spent a day with him when he had his assessment visit, it seems a very sociable life with few worries

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2012, 08:35:16 AM »

Nice post.

The older I get, the better I was.
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2012, 08:39:04 AM »

What a great place!  Officially on my 'to do' list now, cheers.

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
hector62

Homo doctus is se semper divitias habet

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2012, 09:40:45 AM »

My research has found that they now accept women in too. Really does sound a fascinating place. We definitely need this to become another diary.

Puristville, Arizona.  Population (1)
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2012, 10:11:59 AM »

Really great post jjandellis - thanks

The whole place was designed by Wren, including the Long Wards
 Click to see full-size image.

Each In-Pensioner has his own berth and the table and chairs opposite are also there for their use.

The In-Pensioner is issued with a full set of uniform. Including everything down to socks and shoes (although not underwear) plus two bath towels. They are required to be in uniform whilst on site, but the famous Scarlet is generally reserved for wearing on special occasions or when acting as a tour guide.
Their iconic status means that many events invite them to be in attendance. When I visited there were lists up for all sorts of stuff, including a request from Chelsea Registry Office for two witnesses for an upcoming marriage. They obviously spend time at the Chelsea Flower Show and many other events held in the grounds. One party were off to Royal Ascot on the day the Queen would be there. This meant that they would be required to wear the Tricorn hat, which is only worn in the presence of royalty so the picture of the mobile battalion must have been taken on a Royal visit of some form.

There will be a contingent at the Olympics, including, I understand, some involvement in the opening ceremony. One of Dad's mentors in his four day visit is on that gig. He's a youngster in comparison to most and I got the impression that he has managed to opne many doors with his Scarlet coat on, and to have unlocked a few female hearts too.

The Infirmary was funded through donations after a campaign led by Maggie Thatcher, about whom nobody in the Royal Chelsea Hospital will hear a bad word. It has 125 rooms all with ensuite bathrooms and is very much state of the art.

There are two big events that involve parading each year.
Remembrance - both at the Royal Albert Hall and the Cenotaph. As a new arrival it is apparently likely that Dad will be involved in these. It's about everyone getting their opportunity.
Founders' Day, held as close to Oak Apple Day, (May 29th) as possible to commemorate Charles II the founder of this marvellous and historic institution.

That's him, all golden and magnificent at a Founders Day March (roll) Past.
 Click to see full-size image.

I'm discovering a lot of this stuff on the hoof and it just gets more and more fascinating (for me at least).

I'll report back next week when he's officially in.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 10:31:37 AM by david3103 » Logged

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2012, 10:25:06 AM »

Please do!  I really am enjoying your posts.

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
smashedagain
moderator of moderators

if you are gonna kiss arse you have to do it right

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2012, 10:42:13 AM »

+1. Carry on guys. This stuff is excellent reading and I hope some of the young lads come by this thread and have a read.

[ ] ept title
[ ] wpt title
[ ] wsop braclet
[X] mickey mouse hoodies
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2012, 10:49:19 AM »

+1. Carry on guys. This stuff is excellent reading and I hope some of the young lads come by this thread and have a read.

I'm reading innit.

The older I get, the better I was.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: