blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 06:12:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2273128 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Chess thread
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 128 129 [130] 131 132 133 134 ... 164 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chess thread  (Read 349196 times)
The Baron

View Profile
« Reply #1935 on: March 30, 2014, 09:58:57 AM »

Well done to Anand. It must be tough when you are defending against the likes of Gelfand and the critics are saying you don't even deserve to call it a WC match.

I cannot see a different result in November but WP that man anyway.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: March 30, 2014, 12:58:12 PM »

http://en.chessbase.com/post/candidates-rd13-anand-carlsen-rematch

Desperate times call for desperate measures. Aronian's loss to Andreikin, in that context, wasnt surprising. Anand survived an almost relevant attack and, with his half point, he secured his return trip to the World Championship match. He has also drawn his final game, btw.

Millions worldwide will be tucking into a particularly spicy humble pie today. It would be easy to say Aronian has pretty much self-destructed, Karjakin hasn't tried, Kramnik has made two many silly errors, Topalov is ring-rusty and any other combination. However, let's remember this is the guy who has spent the last eighteen months being unable to win games and looking like he was a loss away from bursting into tears. Now he's won one of the strongest tournaments in history without losing a game and so soon after that horrible defeat to Carlsen.

I didn't think he could do it. I'm glad I was wrong.

I would have preferred Kramnik to win the title, as I think he's the person most naturally suited to a match against Carlsen, but Aronian would have been fun. With the match certain to be away from India (and highly likely to be in Europe, possibly France), the pressure will be completely off Anand. We have learned that this makes him a dangerous proposition.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: March 30, 2014, 12:59:37 PM »

I'll put up the link for the closing round later today, but the final games are largely academic now.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: March 30, 2014, 01:54:55 PM »

Had a look back at the comments from Anand-Carlsen. I think that we (in common with a lot of others) remembered the scoreline but kind of forgot that Anand played exceptionally well during most of that match. There was a lot of praise for his play in many of the games. He just had Carlsen on the other side of the board.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: March 30, 2014, 07:23:31 PM »

Had a look back at the comments from Anand-Carlsen. I think that we (in common with a lot of others) remembered the scoreline but kind of forgot that Anand played exceptionally well during most of that match. There was a lot of praise for his play in many of the games. He just had Carlsen on the other side of the board.

Hmmm...not sure...

Anand surprised people with how well he came out but he still didn't get all that close to winning the match. It was a sweat early on because everyone expected Carlsen to fly out of the traps and Anand gave him a run for his money.

The Baron

View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: March 30, 2014, 07:43:33 PM »

It'll be similar this time too. Carlsen knows giving Anand a lead is dangerous. He alluded to it when guest commentating yesterday.

I'd expect 2/3 draws minimum before Carlsen finds a marginal hole and scores.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: March 31, 2014, 07:01:33 PM »

Final round and Aronian again overcooked the imbalances, effectively throwing the game away from the start against Karjakin, who ground him down in the longest game of the comp.

http://en.chessbase.com/post/candidates-final-karjakin-grabs-second

El Presidente makes the first move of the final round.

Click to see full-size image.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: April 01, 2014, 09:41:48 PM »

http://en.chessbase.com/post/breaking-news-world-championship-2014-in-norway

The absolutely magnificent annual chessbase article
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 09:44:31 PM by Tal » Logged

mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: April 01, 2014, 09:49:48 PM »

is it normal that the Championship is played in the holder's home country?

Also, I really want this to be true. pls republish on 2/4/14
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: April 01, 2014, 09:52:53 PM »

Cheesy

I think neutral venues are favoured politically these days. Of course, it used to be that the players were both from the USSR

mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: April 01, 2014, 09:59:03 PM »

Cheesy

I think neutral venues are favoured politically these days. Of course, it used to be that the players were both from the USSR

also, whilst on the topic of dumb questions - do they play best of X and alternate between playing white and black? or is it just a one game shootout and they flip for white?
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: April 01, 2014, 10:07:36 PM »

Cheesy

also, whilst on the topic of dumb questions - do they play best of X and alternate between playing white and black? or is it just a one game shootout and they flip for white?

Format is different each title match, as they agree the details between the players and the organisers. It is typically over a dozen or so games, with an even distribution of white and black.

mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: April 01, 2014, 10:13:09 PM »

Format is different each title match, as they agree the details between the players and the organisers. It is typically over a dozen or so games, with an even distribution of white and black.

in that case how do I become an organiser so I can insist on reverse-shot-chess where you try to lose and get drunk. subsequently I will become world champion, to go with my 2004 university halls title for the same game Cheesy
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: April 01, 2014, 10:18:14 PM »

in that case how do I become an organiser so I can insist on reverse-shot-chess where you try to lose and get drunk. subsequently I will become world champion, to go with my 2004 university halls title for the same game Cheesy

Get very very rich.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: April 02, 2014, 08:26:46 AM »

There's a book out about one of the great Soviet masters, Mikhail Botvinnik.

The Huffington Post hasdone a review of it for us:

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/4847707

Botvinnik was the darling of the USSR; a poster boy. He was the champion of its great game and it is generally accepted that some opponents were actively encouraged to ensure they didn't beat him. Despite that, he was the best player in the fifties and early sixties:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikhail_Botvinnik

He lost his world title to Tal in 1960, only to recover it the following year
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 08:50:38 AM by Tal » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 126 127 128 129 [130] 131 132 133 134 ... 164 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: