blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:47:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Chess thread
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 139 140 [141] 142 143 144 145 ... 164 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chess thread  (Read 344313 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2100 on: November 11, 2014, 03:05:52 PM »

watching game 3

is carlsen a bit underprepared? seemed out of his opening book quite early, and into a sharp position that doesn't really suit him

took over 30 minutes in response to Ng5 earlier

would Anand be generally be seen to have an advantage in computer prep, whereas carlsen is obviously good in dry grinding mid games where he finds wins others don't?

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: November 11, 2014, 03:10:14 PM »

watching game 3

is carlsen a bit underprepared? seemed out of his opening book quite early, and into a sharp position that doesn't really suit him

took over 30 minutes in response to Ng5 earlier

would Anand be generally be seen to have an advantage in computer prep, whereas carlsen is obviously good in dry grinding mid games where he finds wins others don't?

Massively. Can't comment on the game, as I haven't been watching it, I'm afraid.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: November 11, 2014, 03:18:34 PM »

Tal

do you often find yourself in time trouble?

what mentally does it do to your thought processes to be so?

(carlsen has 20 moves to make in 15 minutes and is in real trouble)

My eyes are open wide
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: November 11, 2014, 03:22:50 PM »

Tal

do you often find yourself in time trouble?

what mentally does it do to your thought processes to be so?

(carlsen has 20 moves to make in 15 minutes and is in real trouble)

I've always been terrible for it, generally a combination of poor opening knowledge and spending too long looking at middlegame complexities.

I'm busy atm but I'll write something later to answer that question properly.

In short, he'll be looking for general ideas on the position he wants to achieve and spending any spare time making sure there aren't any tactical nasties. Often helps to play aggressively but that carries risks. Too defensive or playing "nothing moves" is a sure way to lose against this calibre of opponent.

The speed of calculation and clarity of thought of these guys is simply staggering.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: November 11, 2014, 03:29:18 PM »

when you look at it later he found a great move just now

27. Bb4

i hadn't seen it (which doesn't say a lot) but its a bit like houdini getting out of a padlock in a single gasp

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: November 11, 2014, 03:59:50 PM »

well that makes it interesting!

My eyes are open wide
McGlashan

View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: November 11, 2014, 05:38:25 PM »

Click to see full-size image.

Well today's game sounded like a cracker, I'm looking forward to catching the highlights.
The Baron

View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: November 11, 2014, 05:38:54 PM »

It's already better than last year's match and shaping up to be a cracker.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: November 11, 2014, 11:02:32 PM »

Eighteen months ago, people were chattering about how Anand v Carlsen was a poor match up and the sooner we got to see Carlsen play 12 games against Aronian the better. Aronian's fiery, complicated style is a perfect foil for Carlsen's quiet, suffocating grind.

Today, we got a glimpse of what that match would look like.

Anand, we all knew, had to work hard on opening preparation, because he would have to find ways of keeping positions unclear in the middlegame. There is no better exponent of that in chess today than the Armenian and Anand picked up on a game Aronian had played against England's Michael Adams in last year's Grand Slam Final in Bilbao. It had everything he wanted in being wild and impossible to calculate completely over the board. What's more, he found an improvement on the twentieth move and had it ready to go for today.

Football fans will know Tony Pulis is a brilliant manager for set pieces. His Stoke City team would score corners and the pundits would be salivating at the chance to pore over the replays in super slow motion to see what happened. The left back would start by backing into his marker. Then the centre half would run forwards and cut left towards the goal, as the corner was taken. Just as the ball approached, the striker would run in and use the space left behind the centre half and the left back to hammer it home, seemingly in acres of room. This was no coincidence, but hours of preparation on display.

Anand had his Pulis moment today. He had pretty much played this game out in his dreams. Everything fell into place exactly as he'd planned and Carlsen must have spent nineteen moves wondering what his opponent had got under his sleeve. Then he found out.

On Sunday, it was Anand who succumbed to time and over the board pressure to make a fatal error. This Timex when Carlsen blundered, the game was already lost. He fell hideously behind on the clock but this was primarily due to being less ready for this position. He had to work more out than his opponent and that's tough to do against anyone, even if you're the highest rated player in history.

This was a game Magnus was never going to be able to quell. It will be interesting to see if Anand plays the same moveswhen he next has White, just to test whether Carlsen has managed to find a response. If Carlsen is forced to do something else, it will be a big psychological victory for the Indian. He's done it before: in a series of rapidplay games against Alexei Shirov, he found a response to the Shirov Variation of the Caro Kann defence and the eponymous Latvian/Spaniard couldn't find an answer. Next time around, he had to go somewhere else with his opening Cheesy

Boy, we got ourselves a game on our hands!

http://en.chessbase.com/post/sochi-g3-anand-strikes-back-with-a-vengence

Click to see full-size image.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 11:05:34 PM by Tal » Logged

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: November 11, 2014, 11:12:22 PM »

A completely impartial and balanced assessment of the game: http://www.hindustantimes.com/sports-news/othersports/live-world-chess-championship-anand-vs-carlsen-game-3/article1-1284955.aspx

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: November 11, 2014, 11:23:09 PM »

Those who enjoy following live Twitter comments will enjoy this:

http://www.firstpost.com/sports/chess-world-championship-anand-vs-carlsen-game-3-live-1797783.html

Seems that Radjabov, Caruana, Short, Gupta, Polgàr, Rendle and Rowson are all giving interesting views on the game as played.

The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: November 11, 2014, 11:57:28 PM »

Magnus plays white in game 1

Anand in game 2.

Why did Anand get white again in game 3?

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
The Baron

View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: November 12, 2014, 12:07:10 AM »

Anand in game 2.

I think Vishy started with white Keith?
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: November 12, 2014, 12:13:35 AM »

Anand in game 2.

I think Vishy started with white Keith?

Oh yes.

The link to Game 1 on the site Tal posted actually goes to Game 2

http://www.hindustantimes.com/sports-news/othersports/live-world-chess-championship-anand-vs-carlsen-game-3/article1-1284955.aspx

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
The Baron

View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: November 12, 2014, 12:16:16 AM »

Those who enjoy following live Twitter comments will enjoy this:

http://www.firstpost.com/sports/chess-world-championship-anand-vs-carlsen-game-3-live-1797783.html

Seems that Radjabov, Caruana, Short, Gupta, Polgàr, Rendle and Rowson are all giving interesting views on the game as played.

Lol @ short. It sort of reminds me of listening to Andy Gray who knew nothing but always had a way of saying I told you so.

Interesting that when reading chronologically Caruana is the first to really like Vishy's position.
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 139 140 [141] 142 143 144 145 ... 164 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: