blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 01:38:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272573 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Chess thread
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 142 143 [144] 145 146 147 148 ... 164 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chess thread  (Read 343497 times)
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #2145 on: November 17, 2014, 07:54:05 AM »

I've had a little look to see whether I could find a dafter double miss than Carlsen-Anand in a world championship match. Alekhine and Smyslov missed a similar tactic to win but the same player won the game and the matchc in the end, so it's less significant.

How about one of the game's greats leaving his queen en prise in the Candidates?

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1033916

In the qualifier for the Candidates, the Interzonal tournament, Samuel Reschevsky also blundered his queen:

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1162749&kpage=2#reply40

That's got to make you feel better, the next time you do it. You're in excellent company.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: November 17, 2014, 12:44:17 PM »

Jonathan Rowson ‏@Jonathan_Rowson

The tragedy of the Berlin is that it's difficult for club players to *appreciate* its nuances, even when they understand them.

why is this please?

(today is a Berlin)

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: November 17, 2014, 05:22:27 PM »

had Svidler in my headphones since midday, commentating on this long match and now very long endgame

Very entertaining man indeed, conveys complicated stuff very well, not in his first language

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: November 17, 2014, 05:53:41 PM »

Berlin is a slow, grindy opening. It is very difficult to play with the right degree of accuracy in order to keep life in it. Hence, people below Master level tend to avoid it.

This has tickled me...

@Jonathan_Rowson
The game is likely to last beyond 100 moves, and there's an outside chance it might get to 200 moves

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: November 17, 2014, 06:46:55 PM »

Carlsen, Anand, the computers, the commentators, the audience and the tea lady know this is a draw with correct play, but no GM worth their salt would shake hands as White, here. Why would you? You can't lose and can win if the opponent makes a mistake. It's also an exercise in turning the screw on the opponent, which should count for something later on: any tiredness on either side could prove telling.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #2150 on: November 18, 2014, 07:44:18 AM »

Growing up and being into cricket in the nineties, I used to love watching Mike Atherton bat. While the chaps around him enjoyed waving the bat and clouting a few through the covers, he'd be happy to see the new ball off and play the first and second change bowlers with a lacquerless cherry. On occasions, he would come up against Akram, Donald or McGrath and he would be targeted for spells of throat-high ripsnorters, interspersed only by the odd jaffer outside off. For every play and miss, for every ball he somehow managed to get his head out of the way of, he would receive a state so intense you'd think he'd just engaged the bowler's wife in an adulterous act. Athers would stare back in a quaintly English way. Eventually, the bowler would have to turn back to his run up mark.

Anand tried the Berlin Defence today against Carlsen. That's walking out to bat against Glenn McGrath and intending to leave anything not on the stumps. Easier said than done and really just egging him on to get a game that suits his style. But he also knew avoiding it isn't what Champions do.

http://en.chessbase.com/post/sochi-g7-unbreakable-anand

122 moves and some six hours later, a draw was agreed. The majority of the game had seen him needing to play pretty much optimally in defence. Carlsen probed, prodded and pummeled but to no avail. He had held firm and carried his bat like a warrior. All hail Vishy Athers! (I'm sure he'd prefer Dravid, but it's my blog so that's what he gets)

Click to see full-size image.

Game 8 is today. Will he be ready to go for another round?

McGlashan

View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: November 18, 2014, 01:43:39 PM »

Even when the games go down lines that Magnus has prepared (as black) his positions never look that good.

Is he playing for a position he thinks he can hold rather than eeking out an opening advantage and risk falling into Vishy's preperation? .
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: November 18, 2014, 01:53:16 PM »

Even when the games go down lines that Magnus has prepared (as black) his positions never look that good.

Is he playing for a position he thinks he can hold rather than eeking out an opening advantage and risk falling into Vishy's preperation? .

He just wants to get into a playable position from the opening. He has no desire to eke out a 0.5 point edge through opening prep. It's always been his M.O.

McGlashan

View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: November 18, 2014, 02:10:22 PM »

He just wants to get into a playable position from the opening. He has no desire to eke out a 0.5 point edge through opening prep. It's always been his M.O.

He's the best in the world at not losing and why I liked your bet on Magnus.

Understanding all this I still find myself thinking "I thought his position would be a bit better". 
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: November 18, 2014, 02:18:52 PM »

He's the best in the world at not losing and why I liked your bet on Magnus.

Understanding all this I still find myself thinking "I thought his position would be a bit better". 

I suppose the very best always do things differently. That's an appallingly glib response, but you get my point.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: November 20, 2014, 07:58:43 AM »

Apologies. I missed the update for game 8. There wasn't much to say anyway, in all honesty. Carlsen neutralised Anand's opening with ease and a draw was agreed without any mess.

http://en.chessbase.com/post/sochi-g8-an-easy-draw-for-carlsen

4.5-3.5, with four games left. Anand simply must do better than that if he's going to win his crown back.

Game 9 is today.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: November 23, 2014, 11:26:58 AM »

Apologies. Best catch up!

Game nine saw Carlsen spot a repetition that killed the game and with it one of Anand's remaining white games. He didn't look happy when he realised:

http://en.chessbase.com/post/sochi-g9-a-quick-draw-tightens-the-noose

As for game ten, Chessbase suggests Carlsen tried a bluff. In chess. If he did - and I'm not entirely convinced myself - it didn't work. Anand was comfortable in the opening and never looked like losing. Magnus held tight, although he probably got away a little too easily.

http://en.chessbase.com/post/sochi-g10-unrealized-opportunities

5.5-4.5, with two games left, the first of which is this afternoon. Carlsen needs to win to wear the wreath today. Anand needs to avoid defeat to take the match to its final game.

The Baron

View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: November 23, 2014, 03:18:28 PM »

Great game this!
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: November 23, 2014, 03:26:48 PM »

Great game this!

Absolute cracker!

The Baron

View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: November 23, 2014, 03:43:31 PM »

Hes sacd the exchange. Wow!
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 142 143 [144] 145 146 147 148 ... 164 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: