blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:50:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Chess thread
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 141 142 [143] 144 145 146 147 ... 164 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chess thread  (Read 340651 times)
McGlashan

View Profile
« Reply #2130 on: November 14, 2014, 01:27:48 PM »

http://www.twitch.tv/chessnetwork  2014 World Chess Championship - Carlsen vs Anand

There are other viewing options out there if you find Svidler and co's analysis to be a bit too serious today.
McGlashan

View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: November 14, 2014, 02:44:47 PM »

Well this has definitively become a Vishy position. It's probably going to be a draw but Magnus will have to work for it.
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: November 15, 2014, 08:10:46 AM »

Don't understand why people are suggesting that Short doesn't know what he is talking about. This is no middle-ranking GM spouting about stuff he doesn't understand. For a few years Short was one of the top handful of players in the world, just below Kasparov and Karpov - the equivalent of Aronian or Kramnik now. He could have possibly been World Champion if Kasparov wasn't around (okay, he wasn't the only one in that position, but he was one of them). He has had wins against everyone, including Kasparov. By the age of twelve, he had drawn with Spassky and beaten both Petrosian and Korchnoi in simuls. With the exception of Kasparov, he was the first player ever to beat Karpov in match-play. Some people don't like him, for various reasons, but he is the real deal when it comes to chess.

Click to see full-size image.

Beating the former World Champion.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 08:13:17 AM by MintTrav » Logged
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: November 15, 2014, 10:10:41 AM »

He's a fairly controversial figure and he's come to accept and embrace it. I'm not a fan of people abusing others generally, so it's all rather distasteful to me. He's taking his time to give us an insight into what's going on, live, for free. You have a choice who you follow, if you follow anyone at all. I don't really get it, but there we are.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: November 15, 2014, 10:47:01 AM »

Game five didn't yield much for us viewers, at least in comparison to some of the games we've been treated to: a relatively quiet draw where neither side got an awful lot going.

http://en.chessbase.com/post/sochi-g5-a-few-palpitations-but-no-heart-attack

The symmetrical pawn structure is often a killer at this level: unless there is a heavy imbalance in the strength of the pieces, the reality is the inability to create a passed pawn will probably force a draw.

Anand's defence has probably been the most marked feature of this match so far. We had expected he would have worked on it (there had been rumours of Kramnik - the man Carlsen built his game on - working with Anand on endgames) but he's been virtually perfect at the back.

The test will be as the match goes on. I think personally that Carlsen needs to find some longer games from somewhere, where he can sap the stamina of his opponent. I expect the last few games to see Anand playing on fumes a little. Carlsen needs to get a few body shots in or he might find himself walking into another haymaker, like he did in game three.

(http://www.sochi2014.fide.com/round-5-barsky)

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: November 15, 2014, 12:20:23 PM »

It would appear Vishy has done a lot of work on his mental game since Chennai? looks tougher,  looks even better prepared in theory too

is this a fair observation do you think?

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: November 15, 2014, 02:36:12 PM »

It would appear Vishy has done a lot of work on his mental game since Chennai? looks tougher,  looks even better prepared in theory too

is this a fair observation do you think?

He's definitely in a better frame of mind, whatever the cause. Goes without saying he had a lot of pressure last year and being underdog challenger is a little easier than underdog champ.

McGlashan

View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: November 15, 2014, 02:37:01 PM »

Okay hands up who'd of spotted black's best move without computer or GM assistance?

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: November 15, 2014, 02:37:30 PM »

i think carlsen just blundered move 25

or not, anand ignored NxE5 and played immediately

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
McGlashan

View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: November 15, 2014, 02:47:48 PM »

i think carlsen just blundered move 25

or not, anand ignored NxE5 and played immediately

Sometimes the worst blunders are the best blunders, ie they are so bad your opponent does not suspect you would ever play a move that flawed. 

It won't take Vishy too long to see that missed opportunity.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: November 16, 2014, 09:17:01 AM »

It's an essential feature of being a successful poker player that you don't tell your opponent what you think of your hand. You can use suggestion, misdirection, confusion, disguise or even just stone-faced stoicism. Just don't let the other guy know you're in trouble.

Chess is a game of complete information, so the opponent can see all the cards; he just has to work out for himself who's winning.

After getting into the clear waters of an open Sicilian, Carlsen seemed to be trotting along quite nicely, building himself a nice lead on the clock. Then, he made a move he should have been haunted by, not spotting that Anand had a tactic which would probably be decisive.

He didn't show it. He didn't put his head in his hands. He didn't swear. He didn't say "Go on, I dare you, take on e5". He just carried on with his body language and, a minute later, Anand played something else.

Did he miss it altogether? Did he assume Carlsen had seen an answer? I have to think it was the former. Anand had his own idea of how he was going to build the position and played a natural move for that purpose reasonably quickly. He just missed the killer move. The cameras captured the moment of realisation:

Carlsen was then merciless. It was a real hammer blow to the former champion. As Caruana tweeted, he won't sleep well after that.

Half way mark, then. Magnus leads Vishy by a point. The colours are now reversed, meaning Carlsen has White again after the day's break.

The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: November 16, 2014, 10:36:18 AM »

It's an essential feature of being a successful poker player that you don't tell your opponent what you think of your hand. You can use suggestion, misdirection, confusion, disguise or even just stone-faced stoicism. Just don't let the other guy know you're in trouble.

Chess is a game of complete information, so the opponent can see all the cards; he just has to work out for himself who's winning.

After getting into the clear waters of an open Sicilian, Carlsen seemed to be trotting along quite nicely, building himself a nice lead on the clock. Then, he made a move he should have been haunted by, not spotting that Anand had a tactic which would probably be decisive.

He didn't show it. He didn't put his head in his hands. He didn't swear. He didn't say "Go on, I dare you, take on e5". He just carried on with his body language and, a minute later, Anand played something else.

Did he miss it altogether? Did he assume Carlsen had seen an answer? I have to think it was the former. Anand had his own idea of how he was going to build the position and played a natural move for that purpose reasonably quickly. He just missed the killer move. The cameras captured the moment of realisation:

Carlsen was then merciless. It was a real hammer blow to the former champion. As Caruana tweeted, he won't sleep well after that.

Half way mark, then. Magnus leads Vishy by a point. The colours are now reversed, meaning Carlsen has White again after the day's break.

Did you see the Federer v Wawrinka match at the O2 last night?

On the first point of the final set, the umpire made an overrule which was a clear mistake.

He called a ball which flicked the top of net and careered into the tramlines in, after the linesjudge correctly called it out.

Federer surprisingly didn't challenge.

The score was 0-15 instead of 15-0.

Wawrinka won the next two points.

When the umpire called the score "Love- Forty" Roger looked at him with incredulity.

He spoke in French, but I guess the gist of what he said was "What the fuck are you talking about? It's 15-30!"

Federer was so deep in the zone, he not only missed the over rule, he also missed the umpire calling the incorrect score after the next point.

It was one of the most remarkable things I've ever seen in sports.

Would you compare Anand missing this Blunder with Federer missing the over rule? Was it that obvious a mistake? (Would a club player have noticed the blunder?)

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: November 16, 2014, 10:50:15 AM »

Absolutely. I would expect most club players to spot why Nxe5 worked (it's the move after that that makes it strong) and people around the world would have been shouting at the screen, then staring in disbelief. Twice.

Tonji
They got a name for all the winners in the world. I want a name when I lose.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2143 on: November 16, 2014, 12:55:06 PM »

If you've got 20,000 euros spare, a Man Ray chess set is up for sale in Paris later in the week.

Someone liked it, sold for 18.7K

http://www.photonet.org.uk/

They got a name for all the winners in the world. I want a name when I lose.
The Baron

View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: November 17, 2014, 12:26:47 AM »

Don't understand why people are suggesting that Short doesn't know what he is talking about. This is no middle-ranking GM spouting about stuff he doesn't understand. For a few years Short was one of the top handful of players in the world, just below Kasparov and Karpov - the equivalent of Aronian or Kramnik now. He could have possibly been World Champion if Kasparov wasn't around (okay, he wasn't the only one in that position, but he was one of them). He has had wins against everyone, including Kasparov. By the age of twelve, he had drawn with Spassky and beaten both Petrosian and Korchnoi in simuls. With the exception of Kasparov, he was the first player ever to beat Karpov in match-play. Some people don't like him, for various reasons, but he is the real deal when it comes to chess.

Beating the former World Champion.

Short vs Kasparov got me into chess. Got nothing against the guy, I just call shit commentary when I see it.
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 141 142 [143] 144 145 146 147 ... 164 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: