blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:51:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Chess thread
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 ... 164 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chess thread  (Read 340681 times)
curnow

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 15, 2012, 05:55:57 PM »

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=8050

Something more hands-on for you all.

The chessbase website posted a collection every month or so of a variety of tactical plays in Grand master games. Some are reasonably straightforward; some trickier.

It helps when you know that there is a killer punch, because no one tells you that when you are playing the game at the time!

Not all of them are checkmate; winning a bishop/knight or a queen for a rook, say, is enough.

Make sure you think of all the possible responses for the victim- OK it's checkmate if he moves left, but what if he moves right?

Have fun, anyway...

Solutions are linked at the bottom of the page when you are ready. Don't worry if it's not what you thought. Just see why.

second one dont get , played through it without looking at solution & found line but Be6 holds it , after BxB..Re8 forces white to castle & black wins piece back
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 15, 2012, 07:26:07 PM »

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=8050

Something more hands-on for you all.

The chessbase website posted a collection every month or so of a variety of tactical plays in Grand master games. Some are reasonably straightforward; some trickier.

It helps when you know that there is a killer punch, because no one tells you that when you are playing the game at the time!

Not all of them are checkmate; winning a bishop/knight or a queen for a rook, say, is enough.

Make sure you think of all the possible responses for the victim- OK it's checkmate if he moves left, but what if he moves right?

Have fun, anyway...

Solutions are linked at the bottom of the page when you are ready. Don't worry if it's not what you thought. Just see why.

second one dont get , played through it without looking at solution & found line but Be6 holds it , after BxB..Re8 forces white to castle & black wins piece back

Just to explain the notation, "x" denotes the capture of a piece, so BxB means bishop takes bishop and Nxe5 means knight takes whatever is on e5 (usually a pawn unless otherwise stated).

So, curnow, your idea is 1. Nxe5  Be6. The idea being that the knight attacking the black queen cannot move because the white queen is also then exposed by the bishop and the bishop on c4 is then under threat.

What is white to do about this?

We can't take the bishop on e6 because black recaptures with his queen and our knight is pinned, else we are in check. That's out.

Leaving the knight gives us a problem, too, because the bishop on c4 (which we now know can't exchange on e6) can't really go anywhere and keep the pressure on. Let me explain, this position is highly charged: lots of bits pointing at other bits; lots of combinations and no time for dilly-dallying.

Here's our solution (I think Smiley ). Let's take the black queen. White then takes ours with his bishop so we have a white knight on g6 and a black bishop on g3.

White to move. We have a bishop on c4 under attack and a knight on g6 under attack. We can take either the bishop on g3 or the took on h8 though. Lots of options.

Take the rook and there is a little problem after black takes our c4 bishop: the knight is trapped.

Take the bishop on g3 and now black can't recapture the knight because h7xN is followed by RxR! The result is that Black has a rook attacked by the knight and a bishop attacked on e6. Although the knight would still be stuck on h8 if he were allowed to take the rook, our rook on h1 can take the h7 pawn and the knight will escape.

So my answer is 1.Nxe5 Be6 2.NxQ BxQ 3.h2xB and I think we are good.

Haven't checked it on a computer so by all means tell me if I'm wrong!

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
curnow

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 15, 2012, 07:43:43 PM »

second game
1 Nxe5..Nxe5
2. Qxe5.. anything apart from Kf8 loses
3 Qe3 protecting the bishop & here Be6
4 BxB..Re8
5 0-0..RxB white has a small advantage with Rook on h8 but wont take long to get that rook active + double c pawns

if 1 Nxe5..Be6 2 RxB & knight still attacking the queen
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 15, 2012, 08:03:40 PM »

second game
1 Nxe5..Nxe5
2. Qxe5.. anything apart from Kf8 loses
3 Qe3 protecting the bishop & here Be6
4 BxB..Re8
5 0-0..RxB white has a small advantage with Rook on h8 but wont take long to get that rook active + double c pawns

if 1 Nxe5..Be6 2 RxB & knight still attacking the queen

Ooh that is fun! I'll have a look and get back to you.

You obviously know what you're doing. Do I know you?

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 15, 2012, 08:29:08 PM »

Some of these puzzles are there really to make you see the combination, rather than necessarily a forced win.

You, of course, have done that.

This is the problem, I suppose, with using real games; a setter can design a perfect position where that's not what often happens over the board.

My sharpness on these isn't what it was a couple of years back so some of them take me a while before they click. I do follow what you're saying about the position in the second example.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 15, 2012, 11:53:00 PM »

lots of bits pointing at other bits

If only all chess advice were so succinctly described.

At last, I understand Chess theory.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
moonandback

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 16, 2012, 01:22:42 PM »

Love this thread been playing chess for 9 months or so now, still pretty bad but i enjoy playing the 10min blitz games on chess.com been experimenting with the scandinavian defense quite a lot lately quite proud of the game below after making a blunder on move 13 I fought back for a nice win. feel free to flame away!

http://www.chess.com/livechess/game?id=345643908

its better that i have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 16, 2012, 02:02:06 PM »

Love this thread been playing chess for 9 months or so now, still pretty bad but i enjoy playing the 10min blitz games on chess.com been experimenting with the scandinavian defense quite a lot lately quite proud of the game below after making a blunder on move 13 I fought back for a nice win. feel free to flame away!

First impression is you finished him off nicely: got the bishop pair working together (very often an effective tool) and a couple of neat tactics, like Re8 to pin the queen.

I'd look a little at the opening. You get your pieces out well but you could probably improve on playing f6 and recapturing with your knight. The king's pawn is left a little backward otherwise and although it might not matter when you play, you need to keep away from leaving little holes in the position. You have the right idea about breaking down the centre but you could also do that by looking for c5 (Nimzowich said attack the base of the chain [of pawns]) and develop your pieces with e6 instead.

What you did worked out fine so well done.

I really like how quickly you developed your pieces.

millidonk

I'm supposed to wear a shell.. I don't - SLUG LIFE

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 16, 2012, 02:46:26 PM »

I must state I am a massive amateur and have just been getting back into chess this week but his move 24. Rfe1 can't be anything but terrible can it? Surely bring the other rook across to either attack the bishop or protect the king.

I didn't even realise you could post the links to the games. Here is my fewest move win so far: http://www.chess.com/livechess/game?id=345571652

Can't wait til I have actually learned proper openings and stuff. At the minute I can only play counteractive chess

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 16, 2012, 03:42:17 PM »

Tbf it is probably too late anyway for White. Those bishops are too strong, covering too much ground against the rooks that haven't really got out of bed.

If he plays Rd1 instead, still the same queen move, because he's threatening checkmate on h2. If Rf3, Be4 forces the took to move again. If he moves right to g3, the bishop lops it off. If he moves left, we have the same queen move. If he moves up or down on the f file, black has a clever tactic which I'll let you have a look at.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 16, 2012, 03:51:48 PM »

As Teddy KGB would say, Millidonk, "Very aggreee-essive"

Might want not to throw all and, as it were, sundry at your opponent that early with h4 and g4. A stronger opponent might make you look a bit silly with better defence and opening the centre to expose your king.

Mr Outrageous was minding his own business, looking for a nice, quiet game. He played simple, developing moves, and...completely ignored what you were doing.

curnow

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 16, 2012, 04:52:01 PM »

white to play , & get result  

nice problem from game I played several years ago , back then could put it into fritz & would not find right move , tried this today in fritz 12 & found it but took bit of time  
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 04:54:09 PM by curnow » Logged
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 16, 2012, 04:59:34 PM »

Is it to win or just to avoid defeat?

curnow

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 16, 2012, 05:32:23 PM »

stalemateis about only option

1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3 g6 3.Bg5 Bg7 4.Nbd2 O-O 5.e3 d5 6.Bd3 h6 7.Bh4 c6 8.O-O Nbd7 9.c4 Re8 10.c5 e5 11.dxe5 Nxe5 12.Nxe5 Rxe5 13.Nf3  Bg4!
14.Qc2 Qe7 15.b4 g5 16.Bg3 Ne4! 17.Rad1 Nxg3 18.hxg3 Bg4 19.Rde1 a5 20.a3 20 b5 axb4 21.axb4 Ra3
22.Rb1 Rea8 23.Nd4 Bxd4 24.exd4 Qf6 25.f3 Qxd4  26 Kh2 Qxd3 27.Qxd3 Rxd3 28.fxg4 Rxg3
29.Rf6 29 Rbe1 Ra2 30.Rxh6 Raxg2
31.b5 Rxg4 32.bxc6 bxc6 33. Rc8 Kg7

blacks move 31 was the problem , white has stalemate forced afterwards
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 16, 2012, 06:38:02 PM »

stalemateis about only option

1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3 g6 3.Bg5 Bg7 4.Nbd2 O-O 5.e3 d5 6.Bd3 h6 7.Bh4 c6 8.O-O Nbd7 9.c4 Re8 10.c5 e5 11.dxe5 Nxe5 12.Nxe5 Rxe5 13.Nf3  Bg4!
14.Qc2 Qe7 15.b4 g5 16.Bg3 Ne4! 17.Rad1 Nxg3 18.hxg3 Bg4 19.Rde1 a5 20.a3 20 b5 axb4 21.axb4 Ra3
22.Rb1 Rea8 23.Nd4 Bxd4 24.exd4 Qf6 25.f3 Qxd4  26 Kh2 Qxd3 27.Qxd3 Rxd3 28.fxg4 Rxg3
29.Rf6 29 Rbe1 Ra2 30.Rxh6 Raxg2
31.b5 Rxg4 32.bxc6 bxc6 33. Rc8 Kg7

blacks move 31 was the problem , white has stalemate forced afterwards

That is what I thought so OK. It's a nice, instructive problem. Muchos likeos.

How's everybody doing on this, then?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 ... 164 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: