blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:37:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Chess thread
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 ... 164 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chess thread  (Read 340733 times)
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 16, 2012, 06:46:00 PM »

Is it to win or just to avoid defeat?

stalemateis about only option

1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3 g6 3.Bg5 Bg7 4.Nbd2 O-O 5.e3 d5 6.Bd3 h6 7.Bh4 c6 8.O-O Nbd7 9.c4 Re8 10.c5 e5 11.dxe5 Nxe5 12.Nxe5 Rxe5 13.Nf3  Bg4!
14.Qc2 Qe7 15.b4 g5 16.Bg3 Ne4! 17.Rad1 Nxg3 18.hxg3 Bg4 19.Rde1 a5 20.a3 20 b5 axb4 21.axb4 Ra3
22.Rb1 Rea8 23.Nd4 Bxd4 24.exd4 Qf6 25.f3 Qxd4  26 Kh2 Qxd3 27.Qxd3 Rxd3 28.fxg4 Rxg3
29.Rf6 29 Rbe1 Ra2 30.Rxh6 Raxg2
31.b5 Rxg4 32.bxc6 bxc6 33. Rc8 Kg7

blacks move 31 was the problem , white has stalemate forced afterwards

That is what I thought so OK. It's a nice, instructive problem. Muchos likeos.

How's everybody doing on this, then?

I got in to a similar situation against shredder last night but he had 4 pawns to my 3.

My king was pinned on the back rank and for the life of me I couldn't figure a way out. My use of rooks was very poor so I need to improve that. I kept repeating the position several times but shredder was too good for me.

I'll see if I can dig it out and let you guys figure out a way out for me.

In that situation is being 1 pawn down usually terminal?

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 17, 2012, 01:02:59 PM »

In endgames, the most important factor is often how active your pieces are. A strong rook and a centralised king versus a rook stuck in the corner and a passive king can often be decisive, even if the more active side is a pawn or two down.

Hard to generalise and there are always tactics involved but strong players won't allow themselves to get into positions where their pieces are passive. They know the jig is up and would rather sacrifice a pawn for a fighting chance.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 17, 2012, 01:06:19 PM »

Just came across this little gem: an article about a YouTube clip showing Mikhail Tal giving a blindfold simultaneous display.

I haven't linked the clip itself because it's in Russian. However, the article gives you a transcript and explains what's going on, so you can watch it at the same time.

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=5715

Would encourage you to do so. Marvellous fun.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
millidonk

I'm supposed to wear a shell.. I don't - SLUG LIFE

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 17, 2012, 05:24:11 PM »

Reckon if the world's cameras weren't there this wouldn't have gone down as smoothely as it did.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-19300149

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 17, 2012, 05:35:05 PM »

Reckon if the world's cameras weren't there this wouldn't have gone down as smoothely as it did.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-19300149

Never been one to shy away from controversy, Mr K. You might not have gathered this, but he's not the hardiest supporter of the Putin administration...

You've probably seen - actually didn't you post? - the infamous interrupted speech he gave against the government. The one with the flying intruder? Yes, well there is little love lost between them.

It's a very odd situation. I wonder whether his worldwide fame and international popularity make him hard to touch by the Russian government. India and China love their chess, too.

AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: August 17, 2012, 05:46:46 PM »

OK, I've got Shredder on my iPad now and can see me losing many hours to it - it didn't take long before I got the 'That move was so shit do you want to take it back' message...
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 17, 2012, 06:19:28 PM »

OK, I've got Shredder on my iPad now and can see me losing many hours to it - it didn't take long before I got the 'That move was so shit do you want to take it back' message...

Do what all poker players do: call it a "misclick"

The Android version allows you to alter the playing strength of the engine, which you might prefer to do if you want a competitive game. I imagine the IPad version does the same

AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: August 17, 2012, 06:23:26 PM »

Yeah, it does and that's definitely the plan.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 18, 2012, 03:24:13 PM »

Fun for the weekend, methinks.

Tal was born in Riga in 1932. Forty years later, from the same city, there came Alexei Shirov.

If you want to compare chess playing styles to poker, Shirov would be something near Isildur1. He is probably the most aggressive player that elite chess has seen. Certainly in an era where there is so much assumed knowledge about openings, where computer research is so prevalent and where players are more comfortable in complicated positions.

Shirov rose through the ranks as a young man and got as high as World Number 4. He should have played Garry Kasparov in 2000 for the World Championship, but there were issues over funding that could not be resolved and the man he defeated to earn the right, Vladimir Kramnik, played Kasparov instead.

Don't try this at home but here's a game he played around the time he became a Grand master in 1990. Just incredible confidence in his ability to calculate.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 18, 2012, 03:28:37 PM »

Here is Mr Shirov:

Here is his wiki:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexei_Shirov

cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 18, 2012, 04:33:47 PM »

Tal was born in Riga in 1932. Forty years later, from the same city, there came Alexei Shirov.

If you want to compare chess playing styles to poker, Shirov would be something near Isildur1. He is probably the most aggressive player that elite chess has seen. Certainly in an era where there is so much assumed knowledge about openings, where computer research is so prevalent and where players are more comfortable in complicated positions.

Shirov rose through the ranks as a young man and got as high as World Number 4. He should have played Garry Kasparov in 2000 for the World Championship, but there were issues over funding that could not be resolved and the man he defeated to earn the right, Vladimir Kramnik, played Kasparov instead.

Don't try this at home but here's a game he played around the time he became a Grand master in 1990. Just incredible confidence in his ability to calculate.

lol lagtards.

First video of its kind I've watched, really enjoyed it thanks Tal.

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 18, 2012, 04:41:24 PM »

I don't understand why he says with regards to the knights pressure on the c7 square that "forking the rook and king would not be to white's advantage right now, he really needs to go for broke and force the win because he's so far behind in material".

Reply as if you were speaking to a 5 year old please Smiley

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 18, 2012, 05:20:01 PM »

Very approximately, you can make more sense of exchanges by attaching values to the pieces:

Pawn = 1pt
Bishop = 3
Knight = 3
Rook = 5
Queen = 9

(We don't include the king because if that goes you're dead!)

So at the critical stage of Alex's question, white has a queen, two rooks, a bishop, a knight and five pawns.

Black has a queen, two rooks, two bishops, two knights and five pawns.

Black has an extra bishop and knight.

All winning a rook would do is get him back to parity (including the pawn at c7) in mathematical terms. White is looking for the win here though.

I said the values were very approximate and here is why: however powerful a rook is in theory, if it is stuck in the corner with no prospect of release, is it really better in the short term than a dominant knight? If the material is close and there's not much of an immediate winning threat, you'd take the extra material of a took for a knight every day of the week.

Here though, Shirov realises he's so far behind in material that simply taking pieces to get level isn't going to win him the game. That would be what you do as white if you think the attack hasn't worked and you need to regroup.

Any help?

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 18, 2012, 06:56:09 PM »

Absolutely love that!!

Thanks for the link Tal.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 18, 2012, 07:54:02 PM »

Great help thanks. I'm going to try that approach against my Dad see how he copes!

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 ... 164 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: