blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:04:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272538 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Chess thread
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 ... 164 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chess thread  (Read 343186 times)
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: October 03, 2012, 10:11:03 AM »

Was wondering why this was. Obviously there are considerable historic reasons for few women, but I suspect these days it is more likely to be neurological reasons - it's long been accepted that women's brains are different (on average), and I suspect the differences generally give men the advantage when it comes to chess.

What are your thoughts?

It's the same reason why there aren't many top women poker players or video gamers - women have better things to do with their time. Cheesy

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: October 03, 2012, 10:40:26 AM »

There's probably some truth in that, Jon Smiley

Jon will know that junior chess is much more even until you get to 11ish and then the girls' interest tends to wain. No idea why but that's what seems to happen. Whether boys are physiologically better-tuned for calculation and girls are better for more artistic ventures is a moot point, I suppose.

One exception in recent times is Judit Polar, one of three excellent chess sisters. A Hungarian, she is currently world number 40 (at 2705) but has been much higher. Her highest rating (2735, from October 2005) would see her today comfortably in the world top 20. I believe she was actually in the top 10 at that time. There's little between 50th and 15th really, though.

One possible is Hou Yifan who is playing a huge amount of chess at the moment and consistently climbing. She is the top girl in the world (born in 1994) and is 13th best when the boys are added. At 2605, she is a whole 100 points behind Judit Polar, but I would expect her to close the gap a little in the years to come.

All things in context: she was born the same year as Anish Giri, who is the world number 24 at 2730.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: October 03, 2012, 12:55:05 PM »

on Chess.com they have a feature which means you can have a game analysed by the computer which has a nominally high rating.

If anybody's interested in a bit of board analysis, what would your strategy be as white? or as black?

(white to move)

IF anyone is bothered I could give the comparison to what me and my opponent actually did - and also what the computer thought we should do.

2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #318 on: October 03, 2012, 04:06:28 PM »

on Chess.com they have a feature which means you can have a game analysed by the computer which has a nominally high rating.

If anybody's interested in a bit of board analysis, what would your strategy be as white? or as black?

(white to move)

IF anyone is bothered I could give the comparison to what me and my opponent actually did - and also what the computer thought we should do.

With a very preliminary analysis, I think white could comfortably secure a draw, but the same-squared bishops would benefit black slightly. Not sure white can force a win, with the rook/knight material disadvantage - would have to look at it in a lot more detail, and that would take some time.

... Be3

That would win white a pawn, and also enable an exchange with the knight for black's bishop - making the draw a lot easier, and possibly opening up some options with white's linked pawns against a lone pawn down the queen's side.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 04:09:34 PM by kinboshi » Logged

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: October 03, 2012, 05:31:49 PM »

Nice idea. Would like to hear more views - no analysis too basic; no ideas too silly.

For those of you who want live action, here is a link to some live webcam streams of the games in the final round of the London grand Prix tournament I mentioned the other day:

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=8526

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: October 03, 2012, 09:10:09 PM »

If Be3 doesn't Rf3 cause all kinds of problems for white?

Still thinking about this because I'm definitely in the 'basic' category but it looks like curtains to me.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: October 03, 2012, 09:41:03 PM »

Still thinking about this because I'm definitely in the 'basic' category but it looks like curtains to me.

If your point is that Black is attacking the Knight and the bishop, White can get around that by playing NxBf8+ and then moving the bishop away.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: October 03, 2012, 09:52:19 PM »

If your point is that Black is attacking the Knight and the bishop, White can get around that by playing NxBf8+ and then moving the bishop away.

Doesn't black then just take the knight and be 2 rooks vs bishop and rook?

I seem to remember a previous post where you'd said that generally if you're in a material deficit you should be looking to keep as many pieces in play as possible.

Bear with me. I think this is the first time I've ever tried to think more than 2 moves ahead Cheesy
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 09:56:51 PM by EvilPie » Logged

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: October 03, 2012, 10:07:43 PM »

Doesn't black then just take the knight and be 2 rooks vs bishop and rook?

I seem to remember a previous post where you'd said that generally if you're in a material deficit you should be looking to keep as many pieces in play as possible.

Bear with me. I think this is the first time I've ever tried to think more than 2 moves ahead Cheesy

There are no stupid questions, so don't worry.

You're right. There is already a material deficit, so the swaps don't change that.

Black is doing well, but it's a challenge to win it because the bishop in an open position can cover a lot of ground. These positions can end up in a draw, especially where Black runs out of pawns to force home.

You'd want to be Black, but the question is what are your tactics? How do you look to defend as White?

...and what would the computer do?!

Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: October 03, 2012, 10:14:50 PM »

... Be3

That would win white a pawn, and also enable an exchange with the knight for black's bishop - making the draw a lot easier, and possibly opening up some options with white's linked pawns against a lone pawn down the queen's side.

That's a good point - you've pretty much suggested how white should continue. What about black - how does black win it?

2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: October 03, 2012, 10:35:56 PM »

Ok I'm going to give this a go. Never done this before so we'll see how it goes. I don't think I've ever made a move in chess that's taken more than a minute to think through so it'll give you an idea of where I'm normally coming from.

Initial thoughts as white are that I need to keep my pieces in tact. I wouldn't mind swapping a knight or bishop for a rook but black is unlikely to offer that up any time soon.

So I need to protect my knight which is under immediate pressure which suggests to move it. If I move it though my bishop is under threat so I can only move it to c7 thus threatening the rook. Rc8 then means I have to hop straight back at which point Rc6 means I have to trade off a piece.

So in order to avoid a trade off I have to put pressure on f2. Black won't want to swap his rook for my knight or bishop so this could buy me some time.

Actually whilst typing this I think I've seen a plan. Nf4 check. If Kxg5 Nh3 pins the king and rook. If Rxf4 we nab the rook. Hmmmm. Cancel that. Kf5 seems to ruin my life. Oh man!!!! I think I need to go to bed!!!!

Right then. Back to the original plan. Got to move that bishop to pressurise the rook thus buying my knight some time. Only 2 options. e3 or h4.

Ok something else has just occurred whilst thinking this one through. What does Rg1 do for me? If Rxe6 Bh4 gives me a rook for my knight. You know what, my brain's fried. I'm going with Rg1 and hoping that he doesn't spot what I'm up to. Can't see him resisting that seemingly free knight.

My head hurts Sad
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 12:24:58 AM by EvilPie » Logged

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: October 03, 2012, 10:48:12 PM »

Meh. Kh5 muffs this as well.

Might just have to copy Boshi but without really knowing why.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: October 03, 2012, 11:07:02 PM »

I think as black I'd be looking to get my rooks linked up on row 2 so we can pressurise the king and maybe take out a few pawns.

This suggests that as white I need to prevent black from linking up his rooks on row 2 where they can pressurise my king and maybe take some of my pawns.

Do I win?

Be3 - Re2
Nxf8 - Rxf8
Bxa7 (the pawn Dan was after) - Ra8

White now has to move his bishop then Rxa2

Doesn't this position put white in a spot of bother?

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: October 03, 2012, 11:13:39 PM »

Have I really just spent the last 2 hours of my life trying to figure out this chess problem?

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #329 on: October 03, 2012, 11:31:27 PM »

If... Re2, then Nf4+ and black loses a rook for the bishop in the exchange.

On my phone, so might be missing stuff.  But Rg1 for white could be a giggle...
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 11:33:18 PM by kinboshi » Logged

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 ... 164 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: