blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:56:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Chess thread
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 ... 164 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chess thread  (Read 340753 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #660 on: December 07, 2012, 07:10:17 PM »

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

Missed that patter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_boxing

Ever seen this, Red?

That just has to be a spoof.

I'm not having it, so you can piss right off.

The older I get, the better I was.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #661 on: December 07, 2012, 07:20:16 PM »

This was just last week...

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #662 on: December 07, 2012, 07:30:09 PM »

Bollocks!

The older I get, the better I was.
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #663 on: December 07, 2012, 07:36:26 PM »

I'm trying to think of two sports/pastimes you could put togethr which would mean I'm world class at something.

Pie eating / Surfing the internet maybe?

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #664 on: December 07, 2012, 07:37:43 PM »

This isn't an elaborate fusion of two unrelated videos. I'm not millidonk!

It is an odd world we live in.

The Klitchko brothers are decent chess players and I believe Lennox Lewis played a fair bit. 27 Rocky films and not a single Ruy Lopez

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #665 on: December 07, 2012, 07:38:19 PM »

I'm trying to think of two sports/pastimes you could put togethr which would mean I'm world class at something.

Pie eating / Surfing the internet maybe?

If you build it, they will come.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #666 on: December 07, 2012, 08:52:34 PM »

The quality and drama continued today, with arguably the best game of the tournament and a blunder that will make the blooper reels for years to come.

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=8694

Carlsen 1-0 Polgar
Anand 0-1 Adams
Aronian ½-½ Anand
McShane 1-0 Jones

There is such simplicity in the way Carlsen beat Polgar today that it highlights just how special he is. It was like a 20-pass goal by Barcelona: nothing fancy, all side foot 10 yard balls and a Messi clip round the keeper. Polgar is a live wire and capable of blasting open a position. She never stood a chance today.

Anand meanwhile reached the 40move time control against Adams in solid shape. The game was likely drawn and it was time to start planning for tomorrow. He makes a move to threaten checkmate, which you see as much as a way of getting pieces off for a draw as it forces the other player to nullify the attack.

The crowd gasp.

He's missed something.

Adams has a mate himself! It has only been possible because Anand moved his queen away from the f2 pawn he was defending!

After a seemingly eternal dwell - explicable only because you doubt yourself in these positions whoever you're playing, let alone the World Champion - Adams delivered the fatal blow.

McShane and Jones had the predicted mad game and McShane coped best with it.

Kramnik had a small edge in his favourite opening (the Berlin Defence, which he used to great effect to defeat Kasparov for the World title) but Aronian held firm.

"Try this one instead, Lev. And wear a fkn tie!!"

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #667 on: December 07, 2012, 08:54:33 PM »

Click to see full-size image.

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #668 on: December 07, 2012, 08:58:55 PM »

The Berlin defence is dull, almost unwatchable

Polgar played the hedgehog, but at one stage after about 25 moves had no piece beyond her third rank and no chance to attack. I felt her loss was as much down to her own passivity as Carlsen's flair. She basically left the door open for him to piroutte around like a flashy old so and so.

I had to go out before Anand blundered, sadly

The Live stream is very good, though they stay on a game too long..would rather they flipped to other games and back again more frequently.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #669 on: December 07, 2012, 09:34:01 PM »

Not far off the Chessbase review:

Judit Polgar’s hedgehog setup allowed her to get decent chances straight out of the opening. After some inaccuracies Magnus Carlsen gained an edge, and he was able to exploit Black’s terrible piece positions with a very nicely timed e5! With her pieces gasping for air, Judit began to simplify the position by exchanging her dark squared bishop for an opponent’s knight. However, this proved to be a fatal mistake, as her kingside position had too many dark squared weaknesses and not a single piece that could cover them. Magnus swooped in and finished her off elegantly to reach 2864.

23.e5 is an absolute gem. He completely chops Black's position in half. Then when it is time to attack, he unleashes a beaut. After 30...Bg5, Carlsen has to work out a lot of complications. People often ask how far these players can see ahead. My best guess here would be that Carlsen sees at least to move 40 before playing 31.Rf1. He would have to be confident that rook ending is winning to be prepared to swap the other pieces off.

The Berlin is tough to play well. Carlsen has his own favourite "dull" opening called the Breyer variation of the Ruy Lopez. It is a very slow game but the point is players like Carlsen and Kramnik get stronger as the game goes on, so if they can neutralise the position as Black, they can take advantage in level positions.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #670 on: December 08, 2012, 12:22:24 AM »

I've got myself in a mess with an opening.

I don't know how to post the actual board (can someone show me please) but I've ended up here as black:

1. e4 e5
2. Bc4 Nc6
3. Nf3 Nf6
4. Ng5......

I think I've basically fucked it but wondered if there was a way out?

I can't figure out how to continue without a material disadvantage. Is there a way or do I chalk it up to experience and not let c2 get hammered like this again?

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #671 on: December 08, 2012, 12:27:53 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_Knights_Defense,_Fried_Liver_Attack

You have discovered the Fried Liver.

It is very sharp but quite playable as Black. Have a play with that and see how you get on.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #672 on: December 08, 2012, 12:34:11 AM »

By c2 I obviously meant f7. Always forget to turn the board upside down when I'm black. Smiley

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #673 on: December 08, 2012, 08:35:03 AM »

By c2 I obviously meant f7. Always forget to turn the board upside down when I'm black. Smiley

Don't worry. I knew what you meant.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #674 on: December 08, 2012, 10:57:55 PM »

Four draws today:

Round 7: Saturday, Dec. 8th, 2012, 14:00h
Gawain Jones    ½-½   Levon Aronian            
Michael Adams    ½-½   Luke McShane            
Judit Polgar    ½-½   Vishy Anand             
Hikaru Nakamura   ½-½   Magnus Carlsen            
Vladimir Kramnik (bye) – assisting commentary   

Polgar v Anand had little to offer the spectators and was one of those games that miss out on a spot on the highlight reel. These things happen. Both players have had tough tournaments and a draw will do for today.

Nakamura v Carlsen saw the flair and gusto of the player nicknamed “H-Bomb” taking on the man who has been making all the headlines in the world press today for having become the highest rated player in chess history. Carlsen neutralised the White position by sacrificing a knight for two pawns. This gave him two passed pawns on the queenside and enough to cause Nakamura to sheath his sword. As the game progressed, it became clear that Carlsen had enough to hold the position and a draw was agreed.

For large parts of the Jones v Aronian game, you would be forgiven for thinking that there was one result this game could not have and that was a draw. Jones castled queenside, which was a signal of his intent to go for the throat. Aronian had castled kingside and it is a risky business castling opposite sides, as each player can launch an attack on the enemy king without weakening their own in the process. When the pieces came off – mainly because Aronian decided Jones was getting too much play for his liking – there was little left to attack and the players shook hands after move 31.

By far the longest game was Adams v McShane. Adams needed to win today to put pressure on Carlsen, as the Englishman has two tough games left in Kramnik and Aronian, where expecting to win both might be asking a little too much. Adams got a small edge and pressed it relentlessly. When it all looked like there was no more play left, he kept plugging away, cultivating his advantage, but it wasn’t to be. McShane held firm and put a dent in Adams’s chance of lifting the trophy.

So, how does that leave us?

Click to see full-size image.

It’s Carlsen’s turn to take a day off and help with the commentary tomorrow. Adams has to win as Black against Aronian to have any chance of winning the title. Kramnik will fancy his chances of beating Jones as White, which would make for an interesting dénouement on Monday. McShane v Polgar and Anand v Nakamura complete the line-up.

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 ... 164 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: