blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:47:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Asking to see a players hand, is it bad form??
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Asking to see a players hand, is it bad form??  (Read 11999 times)
Mohican

View Profile WWW
« on: August 05, 2012, 02:08:35 PM »

As I understand it, if I call a raise on the river, I'm entitled to see that players cards if he tries to muck them. Is this considered really bad form? I know the accepted standard is to just let him fold but just wondered what others think if I asked to see your cards?
This is not something I've ever done,just more of a 'what if' question.

Cymru am byth
Skippy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 02:17:29 PM »

You've answered your own question, yeah you can do it, but it's generally considered bad form to do so.
corkeye

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 02:19:56 PM »

I never see if they muck nor do I ask to see if i'm scooping the pot. It's perceived as bad etiquette in the scene. On Pokerstars the options there to view his hand. I must admit, I do find it quite bizarre how over time its evolved into the perception of bad etiquette even though I stick to it and dont ask to see... but..you've paid to see shouldn't you have the right to see?
ackackackack
Probation

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 02:27:48 PM »

I never ask to see an opponents cards, because of the chance they may have the winning hand!  I generally play more Omaha than Hold'em and am very pleased when players muck.
rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 02:47:10 PM »

I want to see the hand, is there for collusion, and not so you can demand to see opponents hands. Feel free to wait for me to show, but don't ask to see my hand, its rude and a misuse of the rule itself.

[21:05:17] Andrew W: you wasted a non spelling mistakepost?
[21:11:08] Patrick Leonard: oll
Rockstar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 02:54:29 PM »

I never see if they muck nor do I ask to see if i'm scooping the pot. It's perceived as bad etiquette in the scene. On Pokerstars the options there to view his hand. I must admit, I do find it quite bizarre how over time its evolved into the perception of bad etiquette even though I stick to it and dont ask to see... but..you've paid to see shouldn't you have the right to see?

It hasnt "evolved" from anything

Its allways been bad form to ask to see

"Jimmy White told me the other night he hates name droppers,i had to agree"
Dave Johnson August 2010
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 02:59:54 PM »

It hasnt "evolved" from anything

Its allways been bad form to ask to see

like rfgqqabc suggests the rule is there to prevent collusion, it isn't there to provide you with information - that's why it's bad form to ask (unless you think there has been collusion)

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
RioRodent

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 03:01:05 PM »

Clearly a the view of a hoody wearing yoot, who thinks live poker has evolved from the online game.

You haven't 'paid to see' anything... you have called because you think you have the best hand, if your opponent mucks just stack the chips with a smile.

£10 to £10k Challenge

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!
Junior Senior

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 03:30:34 PM »

What annoys me is when I call and the other player waits to see if I turn over first so he can muck if losing. I just sit and wait until he either mucks or shows.
smashedagain
moderator of moderators

if you are gonna kiss arse you have to do it right

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 04:23:32 PM »

Clearly a the view of a hoody wearing yoot, who thinks live poker has evolved from the online game.

You haven't 'paid to see' anything... you have called because you think you have the best hand, if your opponent mucks just stack the chips with a smile.
Not a defender of the youth in anyway but if you think you have the best hand why are you calling. If you think you have the best hand let's raise it up n get the max value Smiley

[ ] ept title
[ ] wpt title
[ ] wsop braclet
[X] mickey mouse hoodies
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 04:42:44 PM »

Not a defender of the youth in anyway but if you think you have the best hand why are you calling. If you think you have the best hand let's raise it up n get the max value Smiley
[/quote

dont be silly Jason Cheesy

RioRodent

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 05:01:30 PM »

So you make a habit of calling when you think you have the worst hand??

'Think' was the operative word... if you're confident you have the best hand then go ahead and raise it up.

£10 to £10k Challenge

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!
Poker_Monkey

"Cake or death?"

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 05:05:13 PM »

Had this same quistion come up on my table at the gps on friday and the table was split over it, i missed the hand my self as i was somewere else at the time but come back to hear it all kicking off.

In the end most people were saying its not bad form to ask if you was in the hand but defo a no no if not in the hand.

If it was up to me and i would ask even if i didt want to know but i would only do it if it would let me get inside my opps head and let me play with him mind (if you get me).

Oh look you hit your 3 outter on me FML

Twitter :  https://twitter.com/adrian_lovelock

Fb : https://www.facebook.com/ady.lovelock
smashedagain
moderator of moderators

if you are gonna kiss arse you have to do it right

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2012, 06:31:56 PM »

So you make a habit of calling when you think you have the worst hand??

'Think' was the operative word... if you're confident you have the best hand then go ahead and raise it up.
Called twice recently where I wanted to see my opponents hand on the river. They both mucked. When i was made to show the hand to claim the pot both guys claimed that they had better hands than me. They are two exceptions. 100% will fold if I think I have the worse hand.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 06:55:08 PM by smashedagain » Logged

[ ] ept title
[ ] wpt title
[ ] wsop braclet
[X] mickey mouse hoodies
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2012, 06:52:42 PM »

What annoys me is when I call and the other player waits to see if I turn over first so he can muck if losing. I just sit and wait until he either mucks or shows.

This ^^^^
Sooo many players try this
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: