blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:35:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272622 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16721 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  blonde poker 2012 advent calendar
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 Go Down Print
Author Topic: blonde poker 2012 advent calendar  (Read 112650 times)
paulhouk03
Cliqueless

View Profile
« Reply #660 on: December 24, 2012, 09:46:28 AM »

F5f5

Just me
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #661 on: December 24, 2012, 09:47:50 AM »

(any errors or omissions in the below, for which I apologise are mine and mine alone, the entry is from recollections of conversations through the year)

It was a Saturday morning, and in a Nottingham hotel Tim Blake was getting ready to play Day1b of a DTD Deepstack that afternoon. However, it was not to be, as Tim suffered a severe stroke and was rushed to the Queens Medical Centre.

Tim was a fixture at the big DTD monthly events, and word reached the club of the bad news, as Simon Trumper relayed it to me, updating, and others.

That afternoon, Tim's wife Hazel rushed from their home near Peterborough to Nottingham. Tim was in a bad way.

Late on in the afternoon, with Tim paralysed and unable to speak, the practicioners in Intensive Care sedated him and carried on monitoring.

At the end of Tim's bed, a Doctor spoke to Hazel, to tell her that it did not look good and that she should prepare for the worst. Indeed, that Tim might not make it through the night.

What they did not know was, a few feet away, Tim was conscious and heard the conversation.

He was now determined not to go to sleep! However, the drugs won of course and Tim drifted off

At (he subsequently learned) about 4am he woke up. Unable to move much, he stared up at a blank ceiling, brightly lit and wondered

"Am I alive?" Of course his last recollection before sedation was hearing that he wasn't going to make it........

I'm not sure how long he was like that, but of course soon enough nurses and doctors were on hand and he was reassured that yes, he was still with us!

This was Tim last month, at the DTD Caribbean Poker Party in St Kitts

Click to see full-size image.

which capped an incredible year for him.

I'll do the poker stuff first. After the first stage of his recuperation Tim was back at the poker tables. Movement was not easy, and you could tell he was struggling. However from February onwards, his first month back at the tables, there were a series of small cashes in the majority of months through to October when top form kicked in. This was highlighted by 3rd place in GUKPT Luton and 5th in a £300 side event in the same week, and was followed by top 20 finishes in GUKPT Blackpool and the DTD November £500 and then, of course, the trip to the Caribbean to which he had qualified in a Live satellite.

However the non-poker stuff is more important. It took a lot for Tim to actually get back to the table. Hours and hours of physical therapy for starters. Throughout all that, and each time I would see him through 2012, he would have his trademark broad smile and an attitude to life that was frankly uplifting to see.

So, as this year's advent calendar comes to an end, best wishes for a Happy Christmas to Tim, Hazel and his family.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #662 on: December 24, 2012, 09:52:27 AM »

Incredible story.

God bless and merry Christmas

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
dreenie

View Profile
« Reply #663 on: December 24, 2012, 09:53:00 AM »

It's amazing how well u have recovered, I understand how severe it can be, as my dad too had a stroke. It's amazing how well you look in the photos, and although personally I have never met u, I've always seen your posts, cracking jokes and in general being happy.

Congrats and merry Xmas
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #664 on: December 24, 2012, 09:56:55 AM »

Always a pleasure sharing a table with Tim. Think he's coped really well with his usual brand of humour.

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #665 on: December 24, 2012, 09:58:13 AM »

I keep meaning to say Hi as you see the pictures and updates and almost feel you know someone. Haven't done so yet but will in 2013 I think. Great courage and determination and brilliant to see someone come through something like this and live life to the full - well played mate, well played.

sola virtus nobilitat
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #666 on: December 24, 2012, 10:02:51 AM »

I met Tim and Hazel for the first time last month. What a lovely couple they are and Tim's recovery has been amazing. Hazel believes that had they not been away that weekend playing poker and thus closer to a hospital this story might not have been written. Poker as a life-saver Smiley

Once again I feel humbled to be counted in this company.

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
outragous76

Yeah Bitch! ......... MAGNETS! owwwh!

View Profile
« Reply #667 on: December 24, 2012, 10:03:05 AM »

Great entry!

I love tim. He is one of those people in life who I wish I knew 50 of, but of course thats impossible  because people like tim are few and far between!

Each time I have seen him this year, he has been his chirpy self, despite the obvious changes in his life, he still remains as up beat as ever when you see him. It makes me so happy to see improvements in him month by month too!

Tim is an absolute pleasure to share a table with too, always laughing and joking (whilst waiting for his aces ;0) ).

All the best in your continued recovery tim, hope you and hazel have a wonderful Xmas together.

Fantastic finish to the calendar!

".....and then I spent 2 hours talking with Stu which blew my mind.........."
smashedagain
moderator of moderators

if you are gonna kiss arse you have to do it right

View Profile
« Reply #668 on: December 24, 2012, 10:09:04 AM »

Tim is great company and is always having a laugh which is great to see.
If you follow Tim on Facebook you will know that the person who deserves this award most is Hazel. Behind every great man is a great woman. Congrats both and Merry Christmas . X

[ ] ept title
[ ] wpt title
[ ] wsop braclet
[X] mickey mouse hoodies
taximan007

View Profile
« Reply #669 on: December 24, 2012, 10:09:31 AM »

Great choice Tighty:

I have been fortunate enough to meet Tim and Hazel a couple of times a few years back, a really genuine couple.

Congratulations on your inclusion Tim, here's to a continued recovery in 2013 (your health not your poker skills  Wink )

Merry Christmas to you and Hael and your family xxx

humbled to be included alongside such esteemed people - thank you
iangascoigne

Just getting started.

View Profile
« Reply #670 on: December 24, 2012, 10:32:55 AM »

Great choice.Always positive at the table with loads of old stories.Loads.No I mean a massive number.Have you not heard them all? Seriously,great to see the recovery and back in such heart and form as well.Giving old guys a good name.

Father of Ed and Alice, grandfather to Toby. That is enough for anyone. Twitter @IanGas
craigbetts

View Profile
« Reply #671 on: December 24, 2012, 10:40:14 AM »

Had the pleasure of sharing a table with Tim at the weekend, his arrival lifted the whole table's mood. Outragous told me how much he loved Tim, only for Tim to mug him off for a hand played in St Kitts. His stories about Hazel almost make you know her as well, such is his fondness of his better half.

Top choice to round off a splendid calendar, wp Tighty and all. Merry Chritsmas to all blondes and may 2013 be kind to you all. Peace x.

"We're not here to take part, we're here to take over"
Kev B

View Profile
« Reply #672 on: December 24, 2012, 10:48:47 AM »

You came up trumps there Tighty. It's always a pleasure to see and talk with Tim, even better as we weren't sure if we would be given that chance. Happy Christmas to Tim, Hazel and family. Love Kev Joo and family.

Tonji
They got a name for all the winners in the world. I want a name when I lose.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #673 on: December 24, 2012, 10:58:27 AM »

Tremendous selections this year, especially Tim Blake.

What a unique bunch of people blonde has 

Happy holidays all.

http://www.photonet.org.uk/

They got a name for all the winners in the world. I want a name when I lose.
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #674 on: December 24, 2012, 11:00:22 AM »

Great final entry Tighty. This is what this calendar is all about.

Merry Christmas

Ah! The element of surprise
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: