blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 17, 2024, 05:06:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2273156 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Getting Handy in 2013 - Man Skills
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 ... 32 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Getting Handy in 2013 - Man Skills  (Read 70376 times)
leethefish

winners never quit quitters never win

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: January 08, 2013, 01:30:08 PM »

Lee, you'd be impressed (or not) as we built a kitchen table tonight with some reclaimed scaffolding wood!
Would be more impressed with pics !

http://www.ljwcarpenter.co.uk       

http://alzheimers.org.uk/

www.ageuk.org.uk/

If you can meet with triumph and disaster And treat those two impostors just the same......yours is the Earth and everything that's in it...And - which is more --you'll be a Man, my son.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #256 on: January 08, 2013, 03:11:19 PM »

Lee, you'd be impressed (or not) as we built a kitchen table tonight with some reclaimed scaffolding wood!

OK will do.

In the meantime, I've been trying to sort a very small problem on my car - one of the registration plate bulbs isn't working. This wouldn't really bother me, except the MOT is due at the end of the month and this would count as a test fail.  Now, this should be a simple task you say, just change the bulb.  However, it's not that easy.  On the Mini, BMW has used a terrible design for the plinth that holds the reg-plate lights and the boot-switch mechanism. Basically, it lets water in.  So the holders of the bulbs corrode over time, and that's what's happened.

I've managed to take it all apart, bodged a fix to replace the corroded holder, and put it all back together.  The bulb now lights up!  But the bulb on the other side now doesn't work, and I've swapped bulbs over and it's not a problem with the bulbs but somewhere in the electrics.  Unfortunately, I don't have anything I can use to check the connections and see where the problem is, and so I'm going to have to get Lyndsey's brother to have a look at it (as he's a mechanic).

#manskillsfail

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #257 on: January 08, 2013, 05:31:09 PM »

Invest £3 in a 12 volt tester Kin, or make one from a bulb.

The older I get, the better I was.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #258 on: January 08, 2013, 10:03:15 PM »

I've got a voltage tester, but the batteries are dead Sad

I've ordered a new boot plinth that contains the boot switch and reg plate lights as I'll need it to be working for the MOT. Before I went out this evening I had another tweak, still no joy. Drove home, and had a look, and it's all working! So I'm not as useless as I thought.

Still gig to keep the new plinth though, as the existing one is still unreliable and with the water ingress,it's only going to get worse.

#notacompletemanskillsfail

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
outragous76

Yeah Bitch! ......... MAGNETS! owwwh!

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: January 25, 2013, 12:47:46 PM »

nearly on page 3! wtf!

".....and then I spent 2 hours talking with Stu which blew my mind.........."
leethefish

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: January 25, 2013, 07:05:01 PM »

Not very impressed !

www.ageuk.org.uk/

If you can meet with triumph and disaster And treat those two impostors just the same......yours is the Earth and everything that's in it...And - which is more --you'll be a Man, my son.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #261 on: January 25, 2013, 07:42:28 PM »

Not very impressed !

My photos are with your diet it seems...

ScottMGee

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: January 26, 2013, 03:55:25 PM »

I'm generally pretty handy but lack a good eye for detail (plus lazy).

We're thinking of changing all the door handles (including latches and hinges) in the house to a more modern style.

Should I do it myself or just get someone like leethefish to do it properly?
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #263 on: January 26, 2013, 04:54:37 PM »

If the plates and fittings are the same or similar,  it's easy doing it yourself.

In the last house I owned, I replaced all the doors and fittings. Was a big job for a noob, as hanging new doors into old frames serves up all sorts of treats.

leethefish

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 26, 2013, 05:41:27 PM »

As boshi put it changing to doors is a tough job for DIY but just changing the ironmongery for any half decent DIY person is easy!
Just remember if the holes don't line up you will need to pilot the holes first

www.ageuk.org.uk/

Delboy

If you never let me go, I will never let you down.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #265 on: January 26, 2013, 09:04:17 PM »

Bleeding radiators!

I know how to, but require guidance on :

how I find the radiator at the top of the system?

and, should I do it when the heating Is on or is it ok to do it when the system is off?

'Still we sing with our heroes thirty three rounds a minute'
outragous76

Yeah Bitch! ......... MAGNETS! owwwh!

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: January 26, 2013, 09:39:26 PM »

Bleeding radiators!

I know how to, but require guidance on :

how I find the radiator at the top of the system?

and, should I do it when the heating Is on or is it ok to do it when the system is off?

Read first few pages of this thread! Finding absolute top doesn't matter

".....and then I spent 2 hours talking with Stu which blew my mind.........."
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #267 on: February 09, 2013, 05:24:18 PM »

Good news Man Skills fans. Don't worry, I haven't abandoned this, far from it, I have just had an offer accepted on my first house so you can look forward to two or three months of calamitous DIY from yours truly. I've got plenty of stuff to do to get my current rented place tip top so the fun starts here.
Acidmouse

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 09, 2013, 08:33:30 PM »

Moved into our dream home last year, problem is couple we bought it from were there 50+ years and everything needed doing. 2nd problem is I am a reet lazy twat and skint, so its going to be a slow process doing everything.

New electrics and Bolier system + plastering done just the rest for me.

Any suggestions on Apps or books that are a good general guide for most DIY stuff? I reckon I will be putting in an hour to two night for the next 5 months to finish the lot.

Landing needs all floorboards sorting, bathrooms need updating, 3 bedrooms need stripping redecorating, 2 of them all fine and sorted.
leethefish

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 10, 2013, 09:22:32 AM »

Moved into our dream home last year, problem is couple we bought it from were there 50+ years and everything needed doing. 2nd problem is I am a reet lazy twat and skint, so its going to be a slow process doing everything.

New electrics and Bolier system + plastering done just the rest for me.

Any suggestions on Apps or books that are a good general guide for most DIY stuff? I reckon I will be putting in an hour to two night for the next 5 months to finish the lot.

Landing needs all floorboards sorting, bathrooms need updating, 3 bedrooms need stripping redecorating, 2 of them all fine and sorted.
good luck with this it took me 5 years and i am a tradesman!!

www.ageuk.org.uk/

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 ... 32 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: