blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 07, 2024, 04:56:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272921 Posts in 66759 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Getting Handy in 2013 - Man Skills
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 ... 32 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Getting Handy in 2013 - Man Skills  (Read 70047 times)
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: May 04, 2013, 02:06:46 PM »

Stop cock is by far the most important thing to know the whereabouts of.

Get to grips with your heating / hot water system as soon as possible. Whatever you do don't wait until it starts to get cold before finding out whether your boiler's going to last through next winter.

Fuse box isn't overly important. As long as you know how to switch something back on you'll be fine.

Is it a reasonably new house?

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #316 on: May 04, 2013, 02:27:17 PM »

Stop cock is by far the most important thing to know the whereabouts of.

Get to grips with your heating / hot water system as soon as possible. Whatever you do don't wait until it starts to get cold before finding out whether your boiler's going to last through next winter.

Fuse box isn't overly important. As long as you know how to switch something back on you'll be fine.

Is it a reasonably new house?

No it's 1930s. We had a homebuyers survey done and are getting a few small things fixed based on the recommendations (damp proofing a wall and wall ties for the back wall) all courtesy of the vendors
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: May 04, 2013, 02:49:06 PM »

Do you know how to turn on/off the gas boiler if needed. also worth getting fire service to check your house and advise on escape routes in case of a fire etc
Mohican

View Profile WWW
« Reply #318 on: May 05, 2013, 08:12:13 PM »

Have a intermittent flushing toilet in my house. hasn't flushed for ages(down stairs loo so not used much) and had to use a bucket to get rid of waste. Yesterday it flushed fine. Do I need to replace the valve's inside the cistern?

Cymru am byth
outragous76

Yeah Bitch! ......... MAGNETS! owwwh!

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: May 05, 2013, 08:22:33 PM »

Have a intermittent flushing toilet in my house. hasn't flushed for ages(down stairs loo so not used much) and had to use a bucket to get rid of waste. Yesterday it flushed fine. Do I need to replace the valve's inside the cistern?

likely the diaphragm/piston is split/damaged in the syphon. Usually requires to replace whole syphon arrangement inside the cistern. Easy job for a plumber (30 mins)

".....and then I spent 2 hours talking with Stu which blew my mind.........."
outragous76

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: May 05, 2013, 08:23:57 PM »

likely the diaphragm/piston is split/damaged in the syphon. Usually requires to replace whole syphon arrangement inside the cistern. Easy job for a plumber (30 mins)

or to replace youself, isolate water supply, empty cistern (flush), remove cistern, buy new syphon arrangement, install then refit and connect water and open value again

ez

Mohican

View Profile WWW
« Reply #321 on: May 05, 2013, 08:30:49 PM »

tx

or to replace youself, isolate water supply, empty cistern (flush), remove cistern, buy new syphon arrangement, install then refit and connect water and open value again

ez
Tx, was planning on doing it myself. Just needed confirmation before i purchased valve thingymebob.

Await thread on how to best clear up flooded toilet.

Cymru am byth
Mohican

View Profile WWW
« Reply #322 on: May 07, 2013, 06:54:48 PM »

Not from me swapping the value thingymebob over but there was a bulge in the kitchen ceiling this morning. Found leak under bath fittings. Removed and going to replace. Quick question- is it necessary to use a sealant when fitting one of these or will the rubber seal do the job-

or as I suspect whoever fitted it last has used summat that's gone brittle and that has caused the leak.
I'm sure when I removed this at the last house, the rubber seal was sufficient.

Cymru am byth
leethefish

winners never quit quitters never win

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: May 07, 2013, 07:04:51 PM »

Not from me swapping the value thingymebob over but there was a bulge in the kitchen ceiling this morning. Found leak under bath fittings. Removed and going to replace. Quick question- is it necessary to use a sealant when fitting one of these or will the rubber seal do the job-

or as I suspect whoever fitted it last has used summat that's gone brittle and that has caused the leak.
I'm sure when I removed this at the last house, the rubber seal was sufficient.
I would always use clear silicone to seal .....however I only do this cos seen a plumber doing it !

http://www.ljwcarpenter.co.uk       

http://alzheimers.org.uk/

www.ageuk.org.uk/

If you can meet with triumph and disaster And treat those two impostors just the same......yours is the Earth and everything that's in it...And - which is more --you'll be a Man, my son.
outragous76

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: May 07, 2013, 11:31:23 PM »

Yep with lee

Clear silicone between outlet and fitting always

Mohican

View Profile WWW
« Reply #325 on: May 08, 2013, 03:00:27 PM »

Yep with lee

In laymans terms,the  hole in the bath and the new plughole?

Cymru am byth
Mohican

View Profile WWW
« Reply #326 on: May 11, 2013, 01:55:25 PM »

Thoughts please. Below is the bathroom I inherited when I moved into this house. Next weekend, I'm just going to give the room a quick freshen up. So the cork floor tiles are getting replaced and a bath panel fitted. Just need ideas on what to use to panel around the sink and toilet. Eventually, I'll do  a proper refit but, money being rarer than me buying a round,I just wanna make it look usable.
Tx,
Mohican.
 Click to see full-size image.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 03:18:32 PM by Mohican » Logged

Cymru am byth
outragous76

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: May 11, 2013, 03:17:51 PM »

Yep with lee

In laymans terms,the  hole in the bath and the new plughole?

didnt see this, but yes

outragous76

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: May 11, 2013, 03:20:56 PM »

Thoughts please. Below is the bathroom I inherited when I moved into this house. Next weekend, I'm just going to give the room a quick freshen up. So the cork floor tiles are getting replaced and a bath panel fitted. Just need ideas on what to use to panel around the sink and toilet. Eventually, I'll do  a proper refit but, money being rarer than me buying a round,I just wanna make it look usable.
Tx,
Mohican.
 Click to see full-size image.

what are you doing to the floor?

personally, id take off panelling, plasterbaord/mdf or marine ply the surface then, white tile or cheap lamintae finish

Guess it depends how much effort you want to go to and when you intend to do the full refit? I imagine both these will impact on your choices

Mohican

View Profile WWW
« Reply #329 on: May 11, 2013, 03:23:27 PM »

Vinyl tiles,there's already a backing board under cork ones so it'll just be a case of swapping them over. I've also seen a bath panel for £20 on line so that's that bit solved.
Just the toilet and sink surround to do.

Cymru am byth
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 ... 32 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: