blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:37:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272591 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Getting Handy in 2013 - Man Skills
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Getting Handy in 2013 - Man Skills  (Read 68835 times)
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #420 on: October 06, 2013, 10:13:47 AM »

Accidentally left my lights on the other night, battery went flat, got my mate round with jump leads, sorted.

Funny thing I've noticed, prior to the battery going flat, the car was limping ever so slightly in 2nd gear. Since I jump started it, the engine sounds loads healthier and more powerful, and the limping has stopped.

Is that a thing that happens? Do cars benefit from running the battery flat once in a while?
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #421 on: October 06, 2013, 10:30:10 AM »

Accidentally left my lights on the other night, battery went flat, got my mate round with jump leads, sorted.

Funny thing I've noticed, prior to the battery going flat, the car was limping ever so slightly in 2nd gear. Since I jump started it, the engine sounds loads healthier and more powerful, and the limping has stopped.

Is that a thing that happens? Do cars benefit from running the battery flat once in a while?

No, absolutely not. Totally coincidental.

The older I get, the better I was.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #422 on: October 06, 2013, 10:32:18 AM »

Awwwwwwwww

I was asking, so I could fool myself into thing I had 'fixed' it.
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: October 06, 2013, 04:42:26 PM »

Awwwwwwwww

might have been the battery. Probs worth getting a garage to check the battery to see if it's charging properly
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #424 on: October 06, 2013, 04:49:54 PM »

Awwwwwwwww

might have been the battery. Probs worth getting a garage to check the battery to see if it's charging properly

The battery was charged, he left his lights on and flattened it. The he jump-started the car and it charged the battery.

Rather than cast doubt on the efficiency of the charging system, this confirms that it is working fine.

Level?

vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: October 06, 2013, 07:39:20 PM »

Awwwwwwwww

The battery was charged, he left his lights on and flattened it. The he jump-started the car and it charged the battery.

Rather than cast doubt on the efficiency of the charging system, this confirms that it is working fine.

Level?

Not a level no

Had probs with my car earlier in the year and it turned out that the battery starting to fail was the cause. Mine was still charging etc and was only when I went on Holiday and it flattened completely that I found it it was the battery, slowly draining, that was causing the problem.
It probably isn't that but worth finding out imo, especially as most garages will test for free.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #426 on: October 06, 2013, 08:17:36 PM »

Could be related, if the battery going flat and being recharged caused an ECU reset or similar (and the ECU was related to the original problem)?

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #427 on: October 06, 2013, 10:01:30 PM »

Sigh...

millidonk

I'm supposed to wear a shell.. I don't - SLUG LIFE

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: October 11, 2013, 01:03:04 PM »

Today I learned that when you have carried a fridge horizontal you are supposed to leave it a few hrs before plugging it in. Well I never.

geordieneil
we are we are we are the mods

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: October 11, 2013, 09:18:16 PM »

I've finally found where my roof leak is.

To the side of a chimney there is the lead flashing then the slates start.

From the inside of the house there is the brick of the chimney then a bit of roof to the left, then a rafter, then to the left of the rafter there is a line of nails protruding through the roof. 

The water is coming mainly through the nail holes but there is one larger wet patch, maybe about 2 inches square on the same line as the nails.

Anyone know what exactly has gone wrong and how it should be repaired?

could do with pics for a more accurate diagnosis, its likely the lead around the chimney has come away from the chase and might just need tapped back in and sealed with leadmate...(common problem and cheap fix)     i doubt it is the nails, every slate or tile should have a nail, and if the lead is leaking then rainwater will get under the fist slate/tile travel down and the water will try to find its easiest way out (the nail holes).....could be a bit of cowboy work and it is the nails, but with out pics its impossible to tell..............a little trick i use is powdered paint of different colours in different areas of the likely leak area, helps pinpoint awkward leaks ingress points
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: October 13, 2013, 11:11:03 AM »

If your wife points out the bathroom roof looks like it has a damp patch on it, my tip is to leave prodding it until a weekday.  You will still get covered in dirty water as the roof disintegrates, but the plumber will be cheaper.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
teamonkey

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: October 13, 2013, 11:16:32 AM »

If your wife points out the bathroom roof looks like it has a damp patch on it, my tip is to leave prodding it until a weekday.  You will still get covered in dirty water as the roof disintegrates, but the plumber will be cheaper.

excellent advice
edgascoigne

Newbury Racecourse's Best Dressed Gent. And What?

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: October 13, 2013, 05:35:03 PM »

Did an actual lol

Allez!!
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: October 13, 2013, 06:20:34 PM »

I've finally found where my roof leak is.

To the side of a chimney there is the lead flashing then the slates start.

From the inside of the house there is the brick of the chimney then a bit of roof to the left, then a rafter, then to the left of the rafter there is a line of nails protruding through the roof. 

The water is coming mainly through the nail holes but there is one larger wet patch, maybe about 2 inches square on the same line as the nails.

Anyone know what exactly has gone wrong and how it should be repaired?

could do with pics for a more accurate diagnosis, its likely the lead around the chimney has come away from the chase and might just need tapped back in and sealed with leadmate...(common problem and cheap fix)     i doubt it is the nails, every slate or tile should have a nail, and if the lead is leaking then rainwater will get under the fist slate/tile travel down and the water will try to find its easiest way out (the nail holes).....could be a bit of cowboy work and it is the nails, but with out pics its impossible to tell..............a little trick i use is powdered paint of different colours in different areas of the likely leak area, helps pinpoint awkward leaks ingress points

tnks

Mohican

View Profile WWW
« Reply #434 on: November 06, 2013, 12:02:50 AM »

Picked up some manpoints tonight. Not only did I manage to
refit the refurbished alternator into my car, I did the job in the dark with only
a head torch and a old spotlamp clipped to the bonnet. I also probably saved myself
£150 in the process. Yorkie bar for supper methinks.

Cymru am byth
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: