blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:29:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Markup??
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Markup??  (Read 13032 times)
Cf
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 14, 2013, 09:26:18 PM »

Sell at 1.0 unless you have evidence to back up being able to sell for more.

And don't assume ROI = markup. E.g. if your ROI is 120% 20% then selling at 1.2 is not good for a backer as you are offering them an even money proposition.

FYP

As far as I've noticed nobody had pointed out that this was wrong.

Yeah, thought I'd got that wrong lol. If someone was 120% then I'd more than happily buy at 1.2!

Blue text
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2013, 09:30:56 PM »

I think its important to realise that the WSOP Main Event is a very different proposition than pretty much any other tournament, this is due to both the field size (and hence the huge prizes available at the FT) and the fact that there are significantly higher % of weaker players (thanks to the large amounts of satellite winners/people taking shots) than you would get in any tournament of equivalent size. Therefore any competent online tournament player is going to be able to justify a markup much higher than 1.25, markups of 1.4-1.6 are far from ridiculous for this specific tournament, and not taking this into account is a pretty big mistake.

Like anything else in poker, you have to consider the notional long run when you determine the value of markup and given the specific factors of the WSOP ME much higher markups can be justified IMO.

exactly it's not necessarily helpful to talk specifically about ME because it's so unusual, I just referenced myself because I didn't want to seem to be calling other people out. Could quite easily go into live board/2+2 and see people selling at higher than what I sold for ME for random live comps ...... valueeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

There have been some great discussions on 2+2 a while back and another one recently about all of this, and about marketplace liquidity and just how ridic some people price themselves up at.

It always irks me when someone wants to sell at a decent markup whilst also selling 50%+ of themselves, if you're selling a 10% sweat for a tournament you are rolled for then an over the top markup is alot more acceptable, rather than people just picking numbers out of the air and comparing them to other peoples threads and getting themselves as close to a freeroll as possible.

yeh what kinboshi said silly colours get scrolled past.
TL900

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2013, 09:37:59 PM »

JB, just ask Tommy Langley (I'm guessing he's someone who has observed you play live a fair bit and he has a deep understanding of the game) what he thinks you're worth in, say a DTD 300 Deepstack and a UKIPT.

That's about the right answer and then you can add a bit for whatever goodwill you might get from different target buyers. It's not something to wrangle with in a faux scientific or mathematical way as you won't get any answer above 1.0, mathematically speaking.

auction /end thread

Let the market decide.

FWIW John, if I was selling right now I would be selling for UKIPT Cork @ 1.2. Take from that what you will.

@MtSpewmore
Quote from: jgcblack
I wouldn't normally try so hard, but didn't have another opportunity I could wait for. I wasn't ready to surrender what I WANTED SO MUCH, that easily, I couldn't guarantee a call with me staying stoic and relying on a flinch "top pair" calling reflex.
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: January 14, 2013, 09:39:24 PM »

JB, just ask Tommy Langley (I'm guessing he's someone who has observed you play live a fair bit and he has a deep understanding of the game) what he thinks you're worth in, say a DTD 300 Deepstack and a UKIPT.

That's about the right answer and then you can add a bit for whatever goodwill you might get from different target buyers. It's not something to wrangle with in a faux scientific or mathematical way as you won't get any answer above 1.0, mathematically speaking.

auction /end thread

Let the market decide.

FWIW John, if I was selling right now I would be selling for UKIPT Cork @ 1.2. Take from that what you will.

how much value to the staker do you think you are providing?   or should I say at what point do you think you become a breakeven stake assuming everyone knows you can be trusted implicitly.
TL900

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 14, 2013, 09:43:50 PM »

auction /end thread

Let the market decide.

how much value to the staker do you think you are providing?   or should I say at what point do you think you become a breakeven stake assuming everyone knows you can be trusted implicitly.

I think my roi in a UKIPT would be >40% if I could play enough games to get a true ROI, but that is the problem. You can never find your true ROI in a specific tournament.

@MtSpewmore
Quote from: jgcblack
I wouldn't normally try so hard, but didn't have another opportunity I could wait for. I wasn't ready to surrender what I WANTED SO MUCH, that easily, I couldn't guarantee a call with me staying stoic and relying on a flinch "top pair" calling reflex.
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: January 14, 2013, 09:45:36 PM »

auction /end thread

Let the market decide.

I think my roi in a UKIPT would be >40% if I could play enough games to get a true ROI, but that is the problem. You can never find your true ROI in a specific tournament.

obv I do know that, i'm just trying to quantify what value people think they are providing. thumbs up
fizix87

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 14, 2013, 09:50:40 PM »

There was a decent amount of discussion on 2p2 about similar issues this summer caused by Galen Hall's very high markups for various WSOP/Venetian events http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/184/staking-selling-shares-live/galen-hall-2012-summer-selling-1204267/

A good read if people can be bothered reading through a 200+ post thread
Junior Senior

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 14, 2013, 09:51:06 PM »

This again? Really?,!
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: January 14, 2013, 09:55:58 PM »

ha Galen hall and his 1.6 for the toughest 6max 10k you can find. Hilarious levelling banter....... and he claims to be 'really intelligent'.
jgcblack

C'est la vie

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 14, 2013, 11:58:05 PM »

Incred that there are 5 pages saying:

JB is worth zero mark up but could probably sell at a mark up because people are nice/dumb/gamblers whatever

I think JB needs to really know he's worth say 1.23 so I have prepared a template which probably doesn't need much tampering

Baseline                                                           1.0:
Crush $10NL online (regularly for $30+ scores)        1.03
Insane hedge at live bowl comps                          1.11
Sort of listened to poker coach                             1.13
Posted HH's, very few totes spewy                       1.16
Played a few deepstacks at DTD, went 'deep'         1.18
Friend of Eurekans                                             1.20
Learning blog up and running                                1.23

Think that's about right - 2% please at 1.23

Such brutal, yet informed damage.

You win sir, nh, wp.

jgcblack

C'est la vie

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 15, 2013, 12:18:44 AM »

And from such a nice guy... makes it all the more cutting.

I've got a feeling you had a missed calling as a surgeon, sir.

T8MML

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 15, 2013, 12:59:32 AM »

A genuine question from an old fart who has never sold or bought at mark up.

"how do you arrive at the figure you are prepared to pay or charge?"

Are you results driven? I've seen players selling themselves at 1.2-1.3 who I wouldn't say are any value at premium - (of course all blonde members are Smiley) but some seem to have a higher opinion of their game than the results suggest.

Then I see really good consistent players at the same "price" - hard to understand to me.

Do you evaluate somebody by their style of play, ie. out early or massive chipstack or do you go for somebody like yours truely who will "allegedly" sits there all day waiting for aces but may have a high cash to entry ratio ?

Somebody has great online scores but hasn't as yet delivered live. How do you arrive at a price?

I like the idea of auctions, demand deciding price.

Just interested to hear from those that do

Btw I'm selling......Smiley

This is exactly the point of the thread, sir.

congrats on your advent entry!

@Keys - I understand youre in charge of the staking board (or a mod of some kind)
Can you help here?

Sorry to hi jack your thread JB but I'm too shy to start my own Smiley

Tbh it looks like 1.2 is ok and anything higher needs defending. The ME comments are interesting though. Does nobody take into account exs or is that not the done thing?

I'm such a novice. Like I say never thought of selling or buying outside of mates but thx for feedback

if the snow is yellow - don't eat it!
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 15, 2013, 01:15:56 AM »

Sorry to hi jack your thread JB but I'm too shy to start my own Smiley

Tbh it looks like 1.2 is ok and anything higher needs defending. The ME comments are interesting though. Does nobody take into account exs or is that not the done thing?

I'm such a novice. Like I say never thought of selling or buying outside of mates but thx for feedback

Almost there Wink

#gettingreadyforonedrop2013

aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 15, 2013, 01:50:51 AM »

I am not sure if it is sometimes supply and demand? I am sure there are a few members on here that have took a % in someone as just a punt rather than considering the mark up they have advertised at.

You can go back pages in this thread and someone mentioned about Daniel Morgan being able to sell his package at 1.6, because it's a 'soft' field and full of businessmen, etc. But everyone else who I can remember was selling at max 1.3 & are far better players. I think some people actually keep on adding to their mark up as they think about it even more, by thinking "I think I am 1.15, but I'll round it upto 1.2"

There isn't many people in the staking boards who are anywhere near the mark up they are selling at. The only who is perhaps close is Alex & fair play to him.

As for John Black, I try to keep up with most diaries on here, but everytime I read his diary it is a HH from a live cash game, no mark up needed imo.

I sell now and again and always at a very decent rate.
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 15, 2013, 02:41:53 AM »

Ya the current status quo is the contradiction imo not me.

I sold at 1.25 for the WSOP ME last year because I HAD To sell to play and it's a 10k and it's a one off tournament, + I have no specific record to show live, I wanted TO PROVIDE VALUE to people backing me not just spread the variance and pay 7.2% of the buyin myself.

Many threads I see on here AND on 2+2 I just look at the markup and think you'll be alreeet pet.

Many market place buyers can be punters etc and don't necessarily have to have any idea about roi/variance/the maths of goddam donkathons!  Just because someone sells out doesn't mean it was good value or even fair value. It just sold out. That cant last.

There is also lots of other factors going into the fact of sending money to random people, I would pay a higher markup for someone that I know in person and know that I can trust than I would for someone who is most likely a better ROI proposition but who I don't know if they will actually pay out. Obviously most of the time you expect to lose with backing so it's not normally a problem that matters, But it's definitely something that should be taken into consideration.

Feels like a dig at me  Grin
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: