blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:59:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  There and Back Again: A Punter's Tale by Matthew Harris
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 ... 43 Go Down Print
Author Topic: There and Back Again: A Punter's Tale by Matthew Harris  (Read 146598 times)
DrDreh
RehK47

The Rehfish

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: November 14, 2013, 11:45:42 PM »

There is actually a story behind this gif, if you will indulge me, that explains why this is not actually an epic fail, rather a combination of bad luck and good hands.

First of all, what basically happens here is that the guy (Josh Blanchard, former rookie of the year) gets his thumb stuck in his bowling ball. This actually happens quite a lot, as a very important part of being able to maintain a proper arm swing is not being worried about the ball falling off at the back, and an important part of a good release is a tight fit, so you are not actually gripping the ball at any point. Josh was forced to drill a new ball before this TV tournament, his first TV finals appearance, due to a rule preventing the showing of certain sponsorships (I believe he was using a ball bearing his college logo). He wasn't aware of this rule, so had to get it sorted at the last minute, potentially leading to a rushed fitting. This, coupled with the fact that he would have been very nervous and hence a little sweaty, is what lead to the ball sticking on his thumb.

Now for the reason for falling in the gutter - The rules of the sport dictate that if the ball leaves your hand and a part of your body touches the lane (past the foul line), then your shot will be declared a foul shot. This means that the pins will get reset and your first shot of that frame will count as 0. As such, it was paramount that Josh did not let go of the ball. This meant having to step onto the lane, which is heavily oiled, so as not to fall on his face (the momentum generated by swinging a bowling ball with the proper timing is considerable). Obviously, oil is pretty slippery, so he ended up on his ass in the gutter with a ruined shoe and a bunch of people laughing at him. In reality, he did very well to hold on to the ball and not do himself a serious injury. Kinda gotta feel sorry for the lad :p

Way to murder a gif you gif murderer.

Oh, and Happy Birthday Marris!

a law student at nottingham university, rehman is indeed terrible
verndog158

omgpoker

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: November 15, 2013, 12:07:29 AM »

disco

ignore verndog he's a fool

'he had a deep run in EPT Barnsley'
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: November 15, 2013, 12:29:00 AM »

EAT SLEEP BOWL REPEAT

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #423 on: November 15, 2013, 05:58:20 AM »

Happy fella. You want to talk about it?

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: November 15, 2013, 06:52:05 AM »

Happy fella. You want to talk about it?

I'm starting to think I never put the story of that little line in my diary... Will have to look back and see.

For the information of anyone who reads this, I spent my birthday writing essays and losing pretty much every hand I played during several attempts at satelliting into the UKIPT. Maybe this tournament is not going to be for me :p Will be making an attempt at the big game later today, after some sleep and some handing in of essays.

humour is very much encouraged, however theres humour and theres not.
I disrepectfully agree with Matt Smiley
theprawnidentity

8 high happens!

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: November 15, 2013, 10:41:52 AM »

Bowl comp pre big game today?

Happy birthday and that
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: November 15, 2013, 05:52:19 PM »

I've had a couple of sessions on sky since then and I've won 4/5, so this may be true!

Genuine question though Dave, have you found that doing this coaching has made you have a deeper look at the theory behind what your teaching and your own reasoning? There were times when you said "I'd prolly call this if you weren't here", so do you feel like you've... idk, maybe learnt from yourself?

Excellent, good stuff Smiley

Good question, and the answer is certainly yes. I think that everything we do in poker will provide opportunities to learn, when it's something that you are very very comfortable with (mid-stakes PLO for me) a lot of the learning you'll do is sub-conscious (small adjustments I make towards certain players, deviations from my general strategy etc) which, through experience you sort of "just do" so what I have found really, really useful during these sessions has been forcing myself to explain - primarily to the person im doing it with, but actually to myself as well - WHY it is EXACTLY I'm doing what I'm doing, and tbh I've found a few little holes in what I'm doing, or obvious improvements cos I'm taking more time to think over them.

Also it's impossible auto-pilot when someone is watching so you find yourself holding a LOT of focus which is obviously very good for your game, a lot of money is lost through silly little mistakes like losing focus and not looking at who is on the btn, or missing some reasonably important game flow things because you've been distracted by skype or your phone or w/e.

I've really enjoyed these sessions.

Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: November 19, 2013, 03:12:33 PM »

Dat grind

What is Sunday. Like, seriously, wtf. What is apparently a "Day of rest" turned into a day of me asking my computer screen, quite loudly, if it was about time I won a pot.

Entered all of the Sunday majors on sky, plus a bunch of smaller ones, in what was by a very long way my biggest online sunday (bearing in mind, previous to that, I'd never really been in for more than like £50 in any online tournament). Highlights include final tabling a tournament where I would have to win to break even for the day, taking a grand total of three bounties across the entire session, and pure bubbling the 15k primo, whilst watching it on TV, so I got to relive the moment several times. Never thought I'd get a personal rubdown from James Hartigan, but there it is.

Despite losing almost every significant hand, I will definitely be making this Sunday thing a regular fixture in my weekly schedule. Must be said, I'm thoroughly enjoying my foray into Sky poker. Please start winning at showdown, tho.

Birthday

What did everyone do for their 21st? Me, I spent it on my own, in my room, with a bunch of essays and some Limoncella. I saw two people all day, both of whom were my flat mates. Don't think many people can say that's how they spent their 21st. Plus side is that I managed to get all the work done and handed in the next day, so I guess I could say that my birthday present was being free of work for a few weeks. And a rather nice watch. Will almost certainly be going out this coming thursday, after the head shave (donate please! See the last 712 pages of "Degenerate Diaries" for details) to celebrate. Everyone is welcome, although I will not have Fred and Storer dragging me to a gay bar.

Bowling

Loughborugh Uni have developed a pretty fierce rivalry with Notts Trent. We just lost out to them in the biggest tournament of the year last time round, and I think it's safe to say that there was some definite tension by the end. So, as you do, we decided to hold a couple of "friendlies" this year, the first of which happened yesterday. I started out with possibly my lowest game of the season so far, with a 130 odd, and I spent the next half hour muttering about how much I hate bowling. Then this happened -

https://www.facebook.com/LSTPBC2012/posts/662497143770690 (I have no idea how to get this to show up in this post, techno fish fosho)

So, my new high score is 299. Weeeeeee... I had previously only got as far as the first 8 in a row, and managed to throw so really nice shots at the end of the game. Got a little lucky in the 7th, which wasn't a great shot, but hey. That second to last shot was real good too. I just can't explain how nerve racking it is, to be one shot away from sporting perfection. As you can hear, a bit of a crowd developed, including the league next door stopping for a couple of minutes to rail, and let me concentrate. I guess, more than anything, this is what brings on the nerves. I was properly shaking, trying to remain calm and breath properly, and everything went kinda ok till the very last step, where I just stuck a bit of muscle into it and pulled the shot left, only taking 9. Unlucky tomsom Wink

The most important thing, however, is that Loughborough swept all the prizes for the competition. Phil Clarke, if you're reading, this was for you.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 03:27:47 PM by Rexas » Logged

rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: November 19, 2013, 03:31:54 PM »

299 is absolutely sick. Odds you achieve 300 in your life?

[21:05:17] Andrew W: you wasted a non spelling mistakepost?
[21:11:08] Patrick Leonard: oll
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: November 19, 2013, 04:31:14 PM »

Were you pleased at throwing a 299 or gutted to miss out on that 300 ?
verndog158

omgpoker

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: November 19, 2013, 04:44:18 PM »

he was still muttering under his breath about the bubble in the Primo on sunday!

Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: November 19, 2013, 04:48:37 PM »

299 is absolutely sick. Odds you achieve 300 in your life?

Honestly, I'm already past my best. I used to bowl basically every day when I lived in Essex, since there was a pretty good alley a 5 minute drive away, where could could play whenever we wanted for however long we wanted for like £20 a month. Now, I'm bowling a lot less and taking extended breaks because the nearest places are like a 45 minute drive away, and if I bowled as much as I'd want to, it'd cost me £20 a day plus petrol for conditions I can't choose. However, the uni team is moving along nicely, and we're starting to put in more and more practice. I didn't think I'd ever improve on 279, and pretty much everyone I know whos made a perfect game gets 299 before 300, so I guess its possible. I'll definitely be giving it a shot!

To be honest, I wasn't as bothered as I thought I'd be. Smashing Trent was more important Cheesy Making a new personal best is always good too, and it's definitely nice to prove to myself that I've still got it.

he was still muttering under his breath about the bubble in the Primo on sunday!

*sigh* I was trying to emulate my hero and mincash a Sunday major... One day...

verndog158

omgpoker

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: November 19, 2013, 05:53:08 PM »

another thing, someone mentioned a 300 gets put on your herbie mob..... unlucky man, we know how much you need those Wink Cheesy

CHIPPYMAN

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: November 19, 2013, 06:12:59 PM »

If your average is 270+ u can be a pro bowler . I played lots of bowling last time and my average is only *** ! Can't say it here . It's horrible to mention . If I were u , I will turn pro playing bowling rather than playing cards . As I say u look better in bowling then playing cards ;p
TL900

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: November 19, 2013, 06:19:38 PM »

easy lanes at nottingham  nice game  thumbs up I usually get nervous around 7-8th frame so hard to relax lol ul

@MtSpewmore
Quote from: jgcblack
I wouldn't normally try so hard, but didn't have another opportunity I could wait for. I wasn't ready to surrender what I WANTED SO MUCH, that easily, I couldn't guarantee a call with me staying stoic and relying on a flinch "top pair" calling reflex.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 ... 43 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: