blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:30:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272480 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  There and Back Again: A Punter's Tale by Matthew Harris
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 ... 43 Go Down Print
Author Topic: There and Back Again: A Punter's Tale by Matthew Harris  (Read 146622 times)
Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: November 26, 2013, 02:47:38 PM »

Thanks guys, definitely in for some sort of social thing, although I have been slipping up a little with uni stuff lately so do need to sort that out.

humour is very much encouraged, however theres humour and theres not.
I disrepectfully agree with Matt Smiley
Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: November 27, 2013, 06:12:39 PM »

Well, 6 max started very badly, then won a big one with AA to get over starting stack. Cruised for a few hours, then flopped a flush against Gordon, got it in and he riveted a higher flush. Then made top pair on 10/10/2/A/5 vs Q10 for quite a bit vs the guy who's second in chips and can't miss. Starting to go badly, still got just under average though.

theprawnidentity

8 high happens!

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: November 27, 2013, 06:23:40 PM »

The artist formerly known as Rexas, just sat down and got into a ruck with himself about having to put an emergency contact number on his waiver form. Problem is his only friend is the other side of his personality

Click to see full-size image.

tight4better

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: November 27, 2013, 09:16:59 PM »

Hair looks like it's growing fast!
Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: November 28, 2013, 05:04:30 AM »

Well that was an interesting experience. Played day one of the UKIPT today, and feel like giving a blow by blow account of proceedings.

UKIPT

The day couldn't have started much worse. I went to bed at like midnight, planning to be up at 10 and be nice and fresh for the start of the day. This time happens and goes past, and I'm still in bed, waiting for the alarm on my phone to go off, which always goes off every day and is impossible to sleep through. GG alarm/body clock/me, I guess. Get up, shit myself that my stack is in play, have a very quick shower and am out of the door within abotu 15 minutes. That guy who is in charge of roads/traffic etc from the Nottingham council then decides to prove what a complete shit he is, by continuing his frankly ridiculous obssession with speed cameras and roadworks, leaving the entire city permanently gridlocked any time before like 9pm, with multiple routes into the city closed every day. GG him.

Anyway, we finally get to DTD, register (thankfully our stack was not in play until we arrived and signed in) and get sat down. Snap lose the first few hands of the day, then station some guy down with A10 on a A44 board in a 3bet pot when he checks flop, only to be shown AJ. 12k. Few hands later, we have AA, and win vs KK. 28k. From this point on, we win loads of small pots (literally loads) and bully our way up to a high point of probably about 55k. Highlights include winning with A high on a KQJ95 run out after we bet flop, bet turn and bomb river, getting shown top two as they go into the muck.

This seems to be about the right time to start actually making value hands instead of doing things the hard way, and we duly flop a flush agaisnt the great Gordon Goodall. This does not go well, and we promptly donate him a 10k double up when we get it all in, and he makes a better flush on the river. From this point, we basically fail to win a pot at showdown until the tail end of the last level of the day. These include two value bets with the worst hand, prompting slight "Wow, what?" moments from me. We then make our first set of the day after calling a raise from the SB with 66, checking flop and turn and rivering a 6, only to find that our friend in seat 2 had flopped the second nut flush. Weeeeeeeeeee........ By this point, we've gone from our high point down to about starting stack, and continue to grind this for a few hours. After finding a double up with AA vs AK (I know, WAL), we have made day two of my first UKIPT with 31,200 in chips.

In all, the event so far was a massive grind, and very frustrating. I feel like on a different day, I could have had close to 100k. I am, however, very pleased to make day two in what is by far the biggest buy in event I have ever played, and even more pleased that I did not once feel out of my depth in this field. I will go into day 2 with confidence, and hopefully have a little heater for a few days and make a deep run. Legoooo Smiley

pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: November 28, 2013, 06:31:25 AM »

Nice write up, spinzzzzzzz

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
theprawnidentity

8 high happens!

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: December 01, 2013, 01:00:45 AM »

PUNTER!!!!!!
Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: December 07, 2013, 05:05:50 PM »

Dem Updatez

UKIPT

This was a fantastic experience. Picked up a few hands at the start of day 2, pretty much instantly doubled with QQ vs JJ which is always nice, and everything went pretty well from there. Got moved to a table with Brammer and Bedi on my direct left for a few hours, which was pretty disastrous, and ended with going all in with K10, getting called by A9, and binking a 10. This table broke shortly after, and began my stint at the new table by 3-bet shoving an 833 board with AJ in a 3 bet pot, because I was pretty sure the guy shouldn't have a legit value hand. Turns out I was right, which was fantastic for my confidence heading towards the bubble, especially after being legitimately shat on for a few hours previously to this. Eventually broke through the bubble, and then got it in with a straight flush draw against bottom set to bust, as you do. Made the decision to stop playing small ball once itm and start getting it in a little bit more, taking some more aggressive lines to try and build some momentum at this crucial stage. Unfortunately wasn't to be, but I feel that (save one or two hands) I played pretty good poker throughout and was rewarded with a cash in a very tough line up.

Cash the Money

Had a pretty awesome week in the cash games in the down time from playing the UKIPT. Most of the games I saw/played in were pretty fantastic, the sort you just don’t seem to get in Nottingham anymore above the 1/1 stake. Made a few value hands and got paid nearly every time by a variety of hand rankings, and for the most part (after Wednesday where I really shouldn’t have sat down) I feel like I played well, and ran well. This culminated in a three rack day on Monday of this week. Highlights involved flopping quad 3’s after raising a straddled pot and calling a 3bet, seeing a board of 334, raising the cbet and getting it all in. I’m not entirely sure what it was that shoved on me, but I have a feeling it was the nut flush draw. Anyway, this week was a much needed bankroll boost after struggling for recent times, and I left on Monday feeling pretty positive.

Cue inevitable train wreck. Hit my stop loss really very quickly on Wednesday, left, came home, slept, whatever, no problem. Turned up the next day in good spirits, and immediately got involved in a 1/2 that opened up pretty early in the day. I don’t think I’ve ever been at dusk where the first two games to open were 1/2, and it was pretty great to see a line-up that wasn’t just made up of ridic sickos. Took probably the best seat in the house, next to a drunk guy who was actually playing pretty well for a drunk guy, but was still doing his best to deposit his money around the table. Lost a few pots early, reloaded, still felt good. Then, I played one of the most insane pots I’ve ever seen.

Effectively, I check raise shoved a board of 9249 sss with Ak and the A of spades, after picking up a bit of a ninja that the guy probably didn’t have anything. Anyway, it was basically a pot sized shove for around 300, into a guy that had been pretty inactive for the last 3 hours of play and had seemed reasonable. Anyway, he thought about things for a while, and called. I announced good call, you’re probably winning, and he decided to contest this assertion, announcing that he needed a spade and wasn’t winning yet. This was great news to me, but I was still pretty sure that he must have had a pair to go with his spade, as I didn’t think he’d call with a bare flush draw, certainly not a non nut one. Anyway, the river falls an offsuit 8, and he announces two pair.  I tell him that this wins, muck my cards, and prepare to make the walk of shame to the cashpoint, and decide whether to break my stop loss for the game on my way. Anyway, as I’m standing up, said player tables the J8 offsuit, with the 8 of spades, as his hand. Needless to say, I was back at the table within a few minutes after a short break and a reload. Also needless to say, despite me barely reacting to the defeat other than to say “wow, yh that wins”, I don’t think I saw the guy play another hand for the remainder of the night.

The day pretty much spiralled downwards from then on. I made the nut straight fairly early my second period of play and managed to get a full double, but that was pretty much the only pot I won for the remainder of the night. Played a pot with Mr. Grummit where I think I rivered second pair on a paired board in a limped pot, bet £2, got raised by him to £4, and gave him an in your eye stare and made it £6. Who says you can’t have fun whilst showering youre brains all over the table. Value bet did not get paid.

Final pot of the night for me involved probably the biggest bluff I’ve ever run, after the game had died down and again, everyone seemed to be reasonably ok. Ended up inducing a very long tank from the gentleman I shoved on, who eventually called with a rather bad hand, sealing my biggest ever losing night by quite a margin. Left Dusk feeling physically sick, experiencing that whirlwind of thoughts that I guess everyone does after a total disaster of a night, where confidence hits rock bottom and you decide to take some time off the game. After reviewing my performance for the night on the way home, I decided that I had failed pretty miserably to utilise my ability to place varying amounts of multi-coloured betting discs over a line with a blank expression on my face effectively.

Anyway, next day I woke up and for some totally unknown reason, I really wanted to play again. Maybe I’ve started to enjoy the pain, I mean we are all pretty weird for spending so much time playing this game. Flicked it in for the 25, failed to win a hand, decided to take one bullet in a 1/1 game. Only games running were 1/2 and a very small 50/1, so decided to sit on 1/2 for one bullet instead. Ended up having a very enjoyable night with some absolute heroes and having a reasonable winning session #swings.

Apologies that this update was basically a long HH, got a bowl comp tomorrow which I’ll probably write up. I do unfortunately have to be up for 7 tomorrow morning, which could be a challenge considering I was up at 3 this afternoon. May need some help with that one!

verndog158

omgpoker

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: December 07, 2013, 05:25:39 PM »

i might have to start charging for the counseling sessions i have give you on the way home! then again, saying that, if i did, i dont think youd have any money left Cheesy 

ignore verndog he's a fool

'he had a deep run in EPT Barnsley'
Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: December 08, 2013, 03:00:07 AM »

I'm about to go to bed, but there is one pot that I played today that definitely makes the diary, and the action went like this:

Two players limp, and a gentleman makes it £5 to go in a 1/1 game. Everybody, save one player, calls, so we are seven ways to a flop with a total of £35 in a pot. I have  on the button, so fully expect to win the pot, as it's very hard to lose with this hand. Anyway, flop comes A 10 8 rainbow. Checks to original raiser who makes it £15 to go. Cut off calls, I make it 50. Small blind tanks, shoots us a look, and calls. Basically had the guy down as someone that would find it hard to fold pairs, as he was very rarely not seeing a turn card once he'd put money into the pot, so I was pretty sure his range was made up of Ax hands and 97/J9. Don't feel like this particular player can ever have AA or 10/10 here, and would raise basically every hand better than one pair on this flop. Anyway, original raiser calls leaving himself with like 40 behind, other guy folds. Turn card comes a 5, checks to us, and we put both players in (Sb for about pot, other guy for 40 odd). Small blind tank folds, which is disappointing, but leaves his cards in front of him, and the other guy shrugs and folds. SB then flips over A10, misses the pretty obvious double take I do at the board and his hand as I muck, and he asks me what I would do with his hand. I, of course, without a hint of irony, explain that my hand is a fairly face up set of 8's, and decide to take a strategic rest room break to find some way of preventing my jaw from dropping.

verndog158

omgpoker

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: December 08, 2013, 04:28:02 AM »

so sick,  is that good a hand, it even whens when its losing Cheesy

Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: December 13, 2013, 02:24:28 AM »

Some (primarily life) updates

Get the poker out of the way

Not had a great few days tbh, attempted a particularly stupid bluff which was not only pretty expensive but caused me to tilt like the tower of pisa in an earthquake, so I'm gonna leave the live poker updates there until I've got something more cheerful to write. Online has been a little similar, I've pure bubbled the same speed BH tournament 3 times in a row leaving me somewhat vexed, but I will definitely be making a showing on sky on most evenings during the Christmas break as I will be back in Essex, and definitely need to start developing some semblance of an online game.

Bowling

Played two bowl comps in the last few weeks, which both went pretty well. Bowling for the most part has been very demoralising for me lately. I mean, back when I live in Essex like 5 minutes away from the local centre, where we got ridic cheap rates, I was bowling every day and getting to a stage where I was pretty good. Now, I've gone from bowling well over 30 games a week for 2/3 years to about 3, with some fairly extended breaks at times. Obviously, this isn't conducive to improvement, so I've seen my form drop pretty dramatically from my last league average of 206 down to the low 180s. More than that, adjustments that I used to make very quickly are now taking me over a game to make. Competing as part of a team, and not just for myself, seems to amplify every mistake, which is definitely not fun.

I'm not sure what has changed, but in the last week or so I've come back into some form. I'm not scoring dramatically higher since I'm still pretty low on confidence in some areas, and as such not throwing many good shots, but for some short periods I've felt like I did at my best. Nice to know it's still there. I had a solid, consistent run at the Loughborough sixes tournament over the weekend, and even though our team didn't win, I left feeling reasonably happy with my own performance. It wasn't anything special, but it was about the level I feel like I should be at but haven't been for some time. This culminated in winning a bowl christmas doubles tournament on Wednesday where every now and then I managed to throw a really good shot, and didn't make my partner's shoulders ache from the strain of having to carry me. Made a pretty big ball change/line adjustment early on which was definitely the right move and the fact that I was able to work this out very quickly and confidently make the change was very encouraging. Had a great time too, some of the banter is fantastic.

To continue with the bowling for just a second longer, a pretty good friend of mine is a guy named Dominic Barrett. Google him, and you'll find out that he has just won the PBA World Championships (which is definitely a big one) and the European tour rankings for what I believe is the third time now. He's also now won three PBA titles (yh, big ones) and is starting to establish himself as a pretty "dom"inant force in world bowling. Basically wanted to congratulate the guy on another sick year, and on his pending wedding in Oz to a beautiful woman. Well played, sir Smiley. I also agree that he should probably have played golf instead.

F***ing Essay

Basically, I'm supposed to be writing an essay for uni at the moment, and have just dropped into the negative numbers on the motivation scale. I have just spent over 5 minutes strapping and unstrapping my watch to my wrist and procrastinating in every conceivable way. I mean, who actually gives a shit about the how the concept of "blood" is important in "The Winter's Tale". Me, apparently. FML.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 02:27:59 AM by Rexas » Logged

theprawnidentity

8 high happens!

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: December 13, 2013, 10:59:00 AM »

verndog158

omgpoker

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: December 21, 2013, 05:33:07 PM »

please keep posting my dear rexas, otherwise im going to have to start reading other diaries!

JGill_DTD

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: December 21, 2013, 05:35:54 PM »

please keep posting my dear rexas, otherwise im going to have to start reading other diaries!

god forbid

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 ... 43 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: