blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 09:09:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272534 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  There and Back Again: A Punter's Tale by Matthew Harris
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 [43] Go Down Print
Author Topic: There and Back Again: A Punter's Tale by Matthew Harris  (Read 147191 times)
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #630 on: August 19, 2016, 03:18:33 AM »

It's your diary post what u want. Just because you've had a reaction to it doesn't mean you're necessarily playing too big. Don't let it get you down. Gl man

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #631 on: August 20, 2016, 10:09:29 AM »

ys said to me years ago;

"having the money doesn't mean you're rolled for the game"

Seem it many times over the years, good player doing well at 2/4-3/6 wins $250k in a tournament and comes straight to 10/20...standard of play and 3-5x the stakes aside lots of things are different here, you open to 70 turn cbets ate going to be 250+  you get aces get 3-bet your 4bet gets called and you stack off on J63r vs JJTT and you've just got $2500 in with 8%... Doesn't matter how much money you have it takes some getting used to...

I have friends IRL who are multi millionaires, iv been at dinner with them and talking about X project that's costing £750k but the mention of me losing £25k in a day at poker makes them actually gasp.

Not just money either, amazing what else can put you off your game...different chips, different chairs, funny shaped tables etc.

It really doesn't matter what the financial aspect for you personally is, it takes a lot ofv getting used to,losing a lot of money... And winning for that matter.  Money is easy, you either have it, don't have it, or can get it...you could have £1bn in the bank and still never have the emotional capability to lose X in a single day/session. 

Having said all this though there is no better way to find out exactly where your comfort zone is than to step outside it, all I will say is that if you are going to take that approach, prepare yourself for some sleepless nights... As there will be a few!

Next time you step into the danger Zone Matt make sure you're a little more prepared for how you're going to feel if it doesn't work out... If you do that then ultimately this experience will end up a positive one.  Gl

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #632 on: August 20, 2016, 03:05:05 PM »

For what it's worth I think it's a great post and one to look back on in the future so don't get it removed.

Apart for the poetry bollocks at the end of course.... Get that shit deleted by all means.

I can't really offer any advice that would be any better than the other recent few posts but I'll wish you good luck in getting over it and assure you that you will.

Most of us on this forum have been there in one way or another so we all have a certain amount of sympathy.

You took a shot and it went South. Crack on youth.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #633 on: August 20, 2016, 08:01:17 PM »

Poker can be so crazy. Had a pep talk from PJ immediately after losing that pot on Wednesday where he basically said (among other things) to just get back on it and I'd make it back in no time. Wasn't expecting it to take a day! Absolutely sun ran yesterday and got everything I lost on Wednesday back plus a little bit more. Totally mental, proper rollercoaster this week.

On Evilpie's request, I'm going to keep talking about the poetry Wink That bloke I mentioned in my previous post is touring in November this year, and will be doing a set at Nottingham Uni among other places, performing his play "What I learned from Johnny Bevan" with some poetry coming afterwards. Would recommend it to any poetry/literary enthusiasts. http://www.lukewright.co.uk/gigs/

Want to thank everyone for their posts/advice/pms. I was pretty over it by the time I walked into dtd yesterday, and I feel like I've learnt some lessons from it. Certainly yesterday pots that previously would have felt pretty big to me didn't feel so big anymore, so I think my comfort zone has shifted. More encouragingly I was sat in a 1/1 game for a bit and didn't feel like punting or think it was too small or whatever, which I'm taking as a nice mindset positive. But yh, thanks for taking the time to read and post, means a lot and have certainly taken the comments on board. Might have to re-open the diary too!

humour is very much encouraged, however theres humour and theres not.
I disrepectfully agree with Matt Smiley
redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #634 on: August 20, 2016, 08:53:31 PM »

Poker can be so crazy. Had a pep talk from PJ immediately after losing that pot on Wednesday where he basically said (among other things) to just get back on it and I'd make it back in no time. Wasn't expecting it to take a day! Absolutely sun ran yesterday and got everything I lost on Wednesday back plus a little bit more. Totally mental, proper rollercoaster this week.

On Evilpie's request, I'm going to keep talking about the poetry Wink That bloke I mentioned in my previous post is touring in November this year, and will be doing a set at Nottingham Uni among other places, performing his play "What I learned from Johnny Bevan" with some poetry coming afterwards. Would recommend it to any poetry/literary enthusiasts. http://www.lukewright.co.uk/gigs/

Want to thank everyone for their posts/advice/pms. I was pretty over it by the time I walked into dtd yesterday, and I feel like I've learnt some lessons from it. Certainly yesterday pots that previously would have felt pretty big to me didn't feel so big anymore, so I think my comfort zone has shifted. More encouragingly I was sat in a 1/1 game for a bit and didn't feel like punting or think it was too small or whatever, which I'm taking as a nice mindset positive. But yh, thanks for taking the time to read and post, means a lot and have certainly taken the comments on board. Might have to re-open the diary too!

GIQ Smiley

Success has many parents but failure is an orphan

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 [43] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: