blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:32:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  how to intimidate your opponent on a live poker table?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: how to intimidate your opponent on a live poker table?  (Read 4354 times)
mumblesrock

View Profile
« on: May 03, 2013, 06:16:56 AM »

Im thinking in a heads up situation when you want your opponent to fold???   top tips required. thanks
mumblesrock

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 08:55:07 AM »

my first thought is put the chips in the middle and tank - say nothing to anyone, do not react to any conversation?Huh?   or use table talk to suggest you got a great hand???
paulhouk03
Cliqueless

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 08:57:37 AM »

Normally I just show him some kung Fu moves and throw some ninja stars about

Just me
millidonk

I'm supposed to wear a shell.. I don't - SLUG LIFE

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 09:31:38 AM »

I just grab a spoon.

Click to see full-size image.

youthnkzR

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 10:15:26 AM »

That maniac stare Mike McDonald does is pretty intimidating
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 10:49:48 AM »

Really?
I actually though he looked like a pouting stoppy teenager.
I wouldn't be able to help but laugh if I was on the receiving end of that.
taximan007

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 11:01:29 AM »

IF EVER i was good enough to get heads up in a tourney i'm sure i'd be happy with either 1st or 2nd place

humbled to be included alongside such esteemed people - thank you
Sulphur man

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 03:43:13 PM »

Look to the players you fear most at the table's. What is it that these players do?
The question  "how to intimidate your opponent on a live poker table?" is a
little off the money.

You want to basically charm other players while at the same time instil some fear equity
which can be achieved in a various different ways.

Playing loose big bet poker would be one of them other players will then be aware that you can put all your chips
and most of villains at danger at any point. Unpredictable players are feared.
You can also look to take control of a passive weak table and become table captain.
Here the table composition is what's important, being called to frequently will make this difficult.

Work hard at finding way's to keep your focus as high as possible and study the game. Glgl

I've never played any game, or done anything that was so powerful at making you believe that you 'owned' it... before making you realize that you actually don't.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 05:11:29 PM »

You have to know your enemy.

Say you want your mate to get the round in because he's tighter than Michael Owen's hamstrings. I wouldn't know how to approach that situation because I don't know your mate. Options include:

1. "Dan. You buying a drink tonight?"
2. "Dan. You want another, mate?"
3. "Dan, do you need to borrow some money?"
4. (Make the drink gesture)
5. (Point to Dan and then point to the bar)
6. Cough dryly a lot.
7. Ask "Whose round is it?"
8. Confront Dan and threaten to do him over if he doesn't haul his wallet to the bar.

You instinctively choose the best option because you know the guy, how he reacts to bad news and how best to get the reaction you want out of him.

Same applies here.

For one opponent, you want to stare at them and intimidate them into the fold.

For another, who has read book one of elementary tells, this is the second nut worst idea (short of flipping your cards into the muck and spilling your drink on the dealer), as staring is a classic sign of a bluff. Staring every time defeats the object of your question.

For another, the double bluff is to look really weak and sip your drink a lot. The excitement of you looking nervous could mean you have a lot of adrenaline to get rid of, which is actually a sign of hidden strength. Ergo, it can be misread as a strong hand and you get the fold.

For another, telling them it's not very much to call or they don't have enough left to fold might work.

For another, trying to work out their hand out loud could work (be careful not just to name a hand either side of yours unless you really know what you are doing. This is a sign of a rookie IMO)

Amarillo Slim, for all the criticism the old boys get, was brilliant at this kind of stuff (perhaps not as brilliant as he said he was but you know what I mean). If you get inside your opponent's head, the rest is easy.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 09:28:54 PM »

Say you want your mate to get the round in because he's tighter than Michael Owen's hamstrings. I wouldn't know how to approach that situation because I don't know your mate. Options include:

6. Cough dryly a lot.
8. Confront Dan and threaten to do him over if he doesn't haul his wallet to the bar.

You instinctively choose the best option because you know the guy, how he reacts to bad news and how best to get the reaction you want out of him.

Same applies here.

For another, who has read book one of elementary tells, this is the second nut worst idea (short of flipping your cards into the muck and spilling your drink on the dealer), as staring is a classic sign of a bluff. Staring every time defeats the object of your question.

For another, the double bluff is to look really weak and sip your drink a lot. The excitement of you looking nervous could mean you have a lot of adrenaline to get rid of, which is actually a sign of hidden strength. Ergo, it can be misread as a strong hand and you get the fold.

For another, telling them it's not very much to call or they don't have enough left to fold might work.

For another, trying to work out their hand out loud could work (be careful not just to name a hand either side of yours unless you really know what you are doing. This is a sign of a rookie IMO)

Amarillo Slim, for all the criticism the old boys get, was brilliant at this kind of stuff (perhaps not as brilliant as he said he was but you know what I mean). If you get inside your opponent's head, the rest is easy.

You know kinboshi then?

The older I get, the better I was.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 09:32:51 PM »

You know when you try to think of a name none of the regular posters on blonde have so that this isn't the first response?

Sigh...

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 09:35:47 PM »

6. Cough dryly a lot.

Same applies here.

You know kinboshi then?

I thought he was talking about me as well! I've not even met Tal yet... Sad

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 09:36:27 PM »

He can buy the first sodding round when we do meet though.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2013, 10:00:14 PM »

He can buy the first sodding round when we do meet though.

Double sigh...

nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 10:13:41 PM »

Barge into him a bit, shoulder first

sola virtus nobilitat
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: