blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 11, 2024, 02:10:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272978 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  The WSOP 2013
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 68 69 [70] 71 72 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The WSOP 2013  (Read 188411 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1035 on: July 15, 2013, 10:31:27 PM »

It is a condition of the ESPN contract. They pay an absolute fortune for the rights, so don't want spoilers. You can't blame WSOP for agreeing, the ESPN income is huge.

obviously, but the notion of no spoilers is clearly a nonsense

Like Barry says, there are 2 audiences, and given almost every hand is currently being reported, and every bust out certainly is, and ESPN will show <5% more content than that its all wrong. They should be embracing technology and looking forward, not "protecting" it for a few live shows which have a separate audience.

And as the Camel says, not sure players benefit too much from sponsorship

Well it is ESPN's money, & they have a willing seller, happy to agree those terms, so I'm not sure by what definition it is "wrong". ESPN & their Shareholders only have to concern themselves with what is right for them. Giving free Content to poker players is not going to enhance their EPS.

Players won't benefit from the money at all, not one single cent, WSOP keep the lot, & the players allow them to, as they are desperate to play the Event.

There used to be a total obscenity in the late stages of the WSOP as Representatives fom the two biggest sites wandered around with carrier bags full of money, offering it to all & sundry still in the event, in return for wearing their patch. Because the patch would get on ESPN.

I know where you are coming from, but when innovation and product improvement is held back for the sake of a safe bet and shareholders its a sad state of affairs! The world would soon come to a grinding holt if all decisions were made by boards on behalf of shareholders

All business decisions by publically owned Companies are made by Boards on behalf of their Shareholders. It is a breach of their fiduciary duties to do otherwise.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
outragous76

Yeah Bitch! ......... MAGNETS! owwwh!

View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: July 15, 2013, 10:34:17 PM »

It is a condition of the ESPN contract. They pay an absolute fortune for the rights, so don't want spoilers. You can't blame WSOP for agreeing, the ESPN income is huge.

Like Barry says, there are 2 audiences, and given almost every hand is currently being reported, and every bust out certainly is, and ESPN will show <5% more content than that its all wrong. They should be embracing technology and looking forward, not "protecting" it for a few live shows which have a separate audience.

Well it is ESPN's money, & they have a willing seller, happy to agree those terms, so I'm not sure by what definition it is "wrong". ESPN & their Shareholders only have to concern themselves with what is right for them. Giving free Content to poker players is not going to enhance their EPS.

Players won't benefit from the money at all, not one single cent, WSOP keep the lot, & the players allow them to, as they are desperate to play the Event.

There used to be a total obscenity in the late stages of the WSOP as Representatives fom the two biggest sites wandered around with carrier bags full of money, offering it to all & sundry still in the event, in return for wearing their patch. Because the patch would get on ESPN.

I know where you are coming from, but when innovation and product improvement is held back for the sake of a safe bet and shareholders its a sad state of affairs! The world would soon come to a grinding holt if all decisions were made by boards on behalf of shareholders

All business decisions by publically owned Companies are made by Boards on behalf of their Shareholders. It is a breach of their fiduciary duties to do otherwise.

Your point being? Doesn't mean they are innovative, ground breaking and certainly never risk taking, which, im pretty sure, is where ALL good ideas start!

".....and then I spent 2 hours talking with Stu which blew my mind.........."
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: July 15, 2013, 10:39:23 PM »

Your point being? Doesn't mean they are innovative, ground breaking and certainly never risk taking, which, im pretty sure, is where ALL good ideas start!

They don't have an obligation to be any of those things. They have an obligation to their Shareholders, nobody else. WSOP own the Rights, they sell them to ESPN for money, ESPN have every right to protect that investment.

I am not making any point, other than the obvious, I am answering your question.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 10:41:08 PM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
outragous76

Yeah Bitch! ......... MAGNETS! owwwh!

View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: July 15, 2013, 10:44:48 PM »

You are just stating facts - of course you are right, it doesn't by any stretch mean that it is the best thing for progress, infact it is quite clearly far from it, the point I am making. As long as they continue down this road, they will have the same stagnant audience (who will overtime get tired of it)

People want to see things NOW in this modern world, not 2 months after it happened. Pretty sure people who watch it live will also watch it on TV (if they are so inclined). I personally watch pretty much no televised poker, but would gladly watch a stream with good commentary, with or without hole cards.  The premise of "no spoilers" is clearly a nonsense given the live written reporting that goes on

".....and then I spent 2 hours talking with Stu which blew my mind.........."
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1039 on: July 15, 2013, 10:50:56 PM »

The premise of "no spoilers" is clearly a nonsense given the live written reporting that goes on

It amazes me that there are actually people who try and avoid spoilers for things like this and still check 2+2 and twitter. Every year I write something like 'November niner Greg Merson did xyz' and someone replies 'thanks a lot, spoiler alert,you douschebag'

If you check twitter, you are not allowed to complain about spoilers....fact
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: July 15, 2013, 10:52:38 PM »

The premise of "no spoilers" is clearly a nonsense given the live written reporting that goes on

It amazes me that there are actually people who try and avoid spoilers for things like this and still check 2+2 and twitter. Every year I write something like 'November niner Greg Merson did xyz' and someone replies 'thanks a lot, spoiler alert,you douschebag'

Jeez thanks Barry. Not got round to watching it on sky plus and I've been avoiding twitter for 18 months. Thanks

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: July 15, 2013, 11:02:19 PM »

#BruceWillis #Ghost

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
theprawnidentity

8 high happens!

View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: July 15, 2013, 11:03:19 PM »

#BruceWillis #Ghost

Reallyyyyyyyy?
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: July 15, 2013, 11:14:51 PM »

#BruceWillis #Ghost

Reallyyyyyyyy?

Yep. Bruce Willis was in Ghost with Demi Moore.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
theprawnidentity

8 high happens!

View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: July 15, 2013, 11:19:21 PM »

Yep. Bruce Willis was in Ghost with Demi Moore.

Boba Fett
Doctor of Thugonomics

Pain is Temporary!

View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: July 15, 2013, 11:50:48 PM »

The year they had the live stream each day in the main was superb but I'm sure they scrapped it because it caused viewing figures for the ESPN show to fall as everyone had seen the hands. Wish they could find a way to make similar amounts from the live stream as it was way better and as Guy said, people wanna see what happens now

Ya gotta crawl before ya ball!
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: July 16, 2013, 12:08:19 AM »

The year they had the live stream each day in the main was superb but I'm sure they scrapped it because it caused viewing figures for the ESPN show to fall as everyone had seen the hands. Wish they could find a way to make similar amounts from the live stream as it was way better and as Guy said, people wanna see what happens now

They sold the streaming rights to PKR in 2010 or '11, and we all got to watch for free, but PKR did not derive any uplift in Daily Uniques or Margin, so that was that.

Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: July 16, 2013, 12:13:02 AM »

maybe they could have streaming on 1 table but cameras on all 3 so we get the feed and then people still watch the TV show too watch hands on the other tables

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: July 16, 2013, 12:15:10 AM »

When will it be on tv over here?

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: July 16, 2013, 12:51:28 AM »

Excellent interview.

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 68 69 [70] 71 72 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: