blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:21:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272591 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Poker Media Mid Life Crisis
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Poker Media Mid Life Crisis  (Read 130200 times)
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #555 on: August 11, 2014, 01:01:47 PM »

To end the new theme of the diary almost right away, not sure I remember them.

I did like short lived indie band 'Marion' though
AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #556 on: August 11, 2014, 04:16:21 PM »

To end the new theme of the diary almost right away, not sure I remember them.

I did like short lived indie band 'Marion' though

I will have to google them, although they did ring a bell. Sort of Menswear era?

Favourite one hit wonder? Both in music and poker?
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #557 on: August 25, 2014, 10:02:46 AM »

Click to see full-size image.

35th birthday the other day. Not much of a birthday person tbh.

However, did have a lovely day. The Mrs took me to Birmingham. Always wanted to go to a Jamie Oliver restaurant (I've done a Gordon Ramsey and a Marco Pierre White, so I just have Heston Blumenthal and that French geezer to complete the TV chef set) and had one of my top three meals of all time, this lovely rabbity-bready-pastery shit (Not the name on the menu).

Then we went to the Diamond Meet Athletics. Mo Farah is hands down my favourite British athlete so I was chuffed to see him win and break a British record. Also saw David Rudisha which was pretty cool.

Oh well birthday over. Probably time to start thinking of that 'things to do before 40' list. 
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #558 on: August 25, 2014, 10:19:04 AM »

I know they had other stuff, but the Breeders always comes to mind as a single song I loved and you never really heard much more of them.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #559 on: August 25, 2014, 11:27:49 AM »

35?

You sure?

I always had you as much older.

Happy 35th anyway.

Your "***** tease" on Twitter last week completely wrong-footed me, btw. I really thought is was a major site saying "goodbye to HUD's" or something similar.

Such an anti-climax, but a great way to rev up interest. Wink

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #560 on: August 25, 2014, 02:02:09 PM »

35?

You sure?

Happy 35th anyway.

Everyone in poker says they think I am older, but when I ask how old they think I was, they ponder it for a moment then say, eh probably about [whatever age I am at the time]

Your "***** tease" on Twitter last week completely wrong-footed me, btw. I really thought is was a major site saying "goodbye to HUD's" or something similar.

Yeah that was my bad, built it up too much. Honestly was surprised when I heard the news, but after I had thought about it, it was only a small percentage of poker players who give a shit either way.
AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #561 on: August 26, 2014, 10:30:07 AM »

35?

You sure?

Happy 35th anyway.

Everyone in poker says they think I am older, but when I ask how old they think I was, they ponder it for a moment then say, eh probably about [whatever age I am at the time]

Yeah that was my bad, built it up too much. Honestly was surprised when I heard the news, but after I had thought about it, it was only a small percentage of poker players who give a shit either way.

That's pretty much exactly how my brain processed this information. Happy belated birthday.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #562 on: August 26, 2014, 10:32:31 AM »

35?

You sure?

Happy 35th anyway.

That's pretty much exactly how my brain processed this information. Happy belated birthday.

I'd peg you about the same as me? 34-35?
AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #563 on: August 26, 2014, 10:50:42 AM »

35?

You sure?

Happy 35th anyway.

I'd peg you about the same as me? 34-35?

You old flirt you. Nah sadly I am a bit older. Hurtling rapidly towards the big four oh ***
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #564 on: August 26, 2014, 11:29:36 AM »

I know they had other stuff, but the Breeders always comes to mind as a single song I loved and you never really heard much more of them.

World's worst one hit wonder.  I have so many albums by The Breeders, Pixies, Throwing Muses, Belly, Kristen Hersh and This Mortal Coil.  Just loved so much of the 4AD stuff that she and her band mates produced around then.  Loved their version of Happiness is a Warm Gun if you want a 2nd song.  Guess we could almost count The Pixies as a one hit wonder which is mad.

Kim Deal even signed my copy of Doolittle, but it is so battered it is probably only worth tuppence.

She had recently been spending a lot of time looking after her mother who has Dementia of some kind and think her last song was "Are You Mine?".  Not that great a song but very poignant for those who have experience.  

Edit
Deee-Lite for the best one hit wonder ever.  Very surprised Groove is in the heart wasn't number 1 and that they had another top 40 hit that should disqualify them.  Meh, they still win.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 11:45:53 AM by Doobs » Logged

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #565 on: August 26, 2014, 12:50:40 PM »

World's worst one hit wonder.  I have so many albums by The Breeders, Pixies, Throwing Muses, Belly, Kristen Hersh and This Mortal Coil.  Just loved so much of the 4AD stuff that she and her band mates produced around then.  Loved their version of Happiness is a Warm Gun if you want a 2nd song.  Guess we could almost count The Pixies as a one hit wonder which is mad.

Kim Deal even signed my copy of Doolittle, but it is so battered it is probably only worth tuppence.

She had recently been spending a lot of time looking after her mother who has Dementia of some kind and think her last song was "Are You Mine?".  Not that great a song but very poignant for those who have experience.  

Edit
Deee-Lite for the best one hit wonder ever.  Very surprised Groove is in the heart wasn't number 1 and that they had another top 40 hit that should disqualify them.  Meh, they still win.

Not sure about one hit wonders, but one song wonders were a common thing in my 90s indie days. This was one of them. A song I loved, by a band who never did another decent one as far as I know.

The lyrics are awesome.

She wrote out a story about her life
I think it included something about me
I'm not sure of that but I'm sure of one thing
Her spelling's atrocious

She told me to read between the lines
And tell her exactly what I got out of it
I told her affection had two F's
Especially when you're dealing with me

I also love the fact that since the song was written underwhelmed has made it into the dictionary.

DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #566 on: August 26, 2014, 01:53:20 PM »

Edit

This was going to be my second choice
Mohican

View Profile WWW
« Reply #567 on: August 26, 2014, 08:37:27 PM »

Love that bass riff in this song. Even ten years ago, I'd only hear the drums, lead guitar and vocals in a song. But since then, that bass riff I can hear it as it's played throughout this song. This depth in music shows itself most when I hear a song that I haven't for a while. Early Prodigy tracks have so many layers that I couldn't hear that it's almost like listening to a new song sometimes. My fav bass riff/solo is this track.

They are also one of my fav bands which might explain why I like the song so much.

Cymru am byth
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #568 on: September 09, 2014, 01:38:08 PM »

Someone reversed into the car and dented one of the panels on the back.

He has admitted full liability (there were also witnesses).

The best part is it was the one panel on the car that had a big scratch on it and we were about to get replaced.

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #569 on: September 14, 2014, 12:59:06 AM »

Is this the one hit wonder thread?

Not heard this one for ages

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: