blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 07:04:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272718 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Poker Media Mid Life Crisis
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 ... 41 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Poker Media Mid Life Crisis  (Read 131219 times)
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #270 on: August 16, 2013, 10:21:34 AM »

I love my little iPad and the bloody thing broke on the way back from Gib. It is just out of warranty. The repair place in Sheffield have told me it will be £120 to fix, which is a really awkward amount, because I bought it just before the iPad mini came out and I really like those, and they are about £240.

I'd probably get about £30 for it traded in for a recycle. So basically for about £90 more, I could get a new one with a warranty and everything. Had it been £90 to fix I would have gone for it I think.

Does anyone else share my weak ass way of justifying buying a new toy?
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: August 16, 2013, 10:28:56 AM »

If the money's there to do it, I'd go for new every time in that situation.

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #272 on: August 16, 2013, 10:38:01 AM »

Me too.

The older I get, the better I was.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #273 on: August 16, 2013, 10:41:02 AM »

Me too.

I actually thought you would bollock me and tell me to have a stab at fixing it myself.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #274 on: August 16, 2013, 10:47:03 AM »

Me too.

I actually thought you would bollock me and tell me to have a stab at fixing it myself.

Bollock? Moi?

Actually, what have you got to lose by trying to fix it?

DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #275 on: August 16, 2013, 10:48:25 AM »

Me too.

Bollock? Moi?

Actually, what have you got to lose by trying to fix it?

Definitely the money to recycle it after I balls it up
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #276 on: August 18, 2013, 09:39:00 PM »

Interest weekend. The missus is away at a wedding. A few of my mates commented to me 'must be nice to have the house to yourself' but I work from home, so it just feels like I'm at work.

On Saturday I looked after my Mum's dog. Martha is an Old English Sheepdog, and is a cracking pet. She dominates my dog, but I think he likes it.

My family have always had Old English Sheepdogs, they are a tremenously good natured and loyal breed. When our last one, Oscar, died my Dad decided not to get another. There has been lots of anecdotal evidence that suggests that having a dog extends your life expectancy (the exercise and sense of purpose probably being the reason) and we all firmly believe that Dad was never quite the same after losing Oscar. A month or so after Oscar died, my Dad had a blood clot in his eye, which the doctors said was stress. That ended up not being a problem, but he was never quite the same after. Even then, I was glad to say he really enjoyed the company of my Dog Charlie for a while before he passed away (in fact he drew a halo above the head of a picture of Charlie the day he died himself - many would have read way too much into that but I'm quite the rationalist, but it does freak me out a little) during his last year.

Dogs are amazing. Charlie really helped me in that difficult first six months, and even more he helped my Mum. I took him round most days and let her look after him. We are both really grateful to the daft dog for what he did for the entire family. In fact it was during this time that Mum decided to get Martha, and the breed will always make us remember good times with Dad. Its been nearly three years since Dad died and I think Mum has picked herself up brilliantly and I think its all due to having a dog. She even stopped smoking, cold turkey, the day she got her.

Today I went to the Christening of a friend's baby. It was not only my first Christening as a guest, it was the first Catholic ceremony I have attended. I must admit I did have this perception we would be shouted at and made to feel guilty about something, but it was quite a pleasant laid back affair (and I was chuffed when we didn't have to sing). It's always a little awkward for me at these things because in the last 18 months I 'came out' as an atheist, and I have a real conflict because I have really strong views about religion, but in equal measure I have really strong views about respecting and not trying to change other people's views. I always feel a tad hypocritical at church events, but imo its about friends and family. 

Anyhoo, currently helping plan a Stag Do. We are very likely doing dodge ball at some point in fancy dress, possibly London. The groom is looking for suggestions of non standard things to do that will make this one memorable. 
KarmaDope

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: August 18, 2013, 09:48:49 PM »

http://wish.co.uk/zombie-battle-london/
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #278 on: August 18, 2013, 09:59:54 PM »

That could well be happening actually
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #279 on: August 18, 2013, 10:01:10 PM »

Dogs ftw

Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: August 18, 2013, 10:30:21 PM »

Dogs ftw

He said non-standard things to do Tom...

DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #281 on: August 21, 2013, 01:31:26 PM »

So I have just started some personal training sessions at the gym. I used a personal trainer to help me get into my suit for my wedding and he (and gym buddy FUN4FRASER) really helped me a lot. In fact I weighed nearly 16st when I started and got down to 13st 13lb. I am currently 14st 11lb, which is sort of a success in that I havent put ALL the weight back on.

The advice is great, the motivational slogans being shouted at you are great, but personal training is worth it because of the accountability. Knowing I have a hard session coming up next week makes me work harder this week, because I don't want it to hurt like hell.

Anyway, after the wedding I used buying a house and writing our second book as the excuse for not keeping up with it. Now I have no excuse, and as I mentioned, I have some time on my hands. So I re-signed with Jon Ainsley my trainer and just had my first session. He asked me what my goals were and I just told him 'do whatever you would do if you woke up tomorrow with this body'.

He took some measurements and is getting me doing some boxing and weight-circuity-things. He has set me a challenge to lose 6lbs and 3inches from the measurements he took by the first week in October.

He is emailing me my measurements later today. I'm between about 42-44 in the chest/waist area but cant remember.

One thing which surpried me was my bodyfat %. I've never had this done before, but I knew 'good' was between about 18-24%, so I expected to be just outside of that range, maybe about 27%. I was actually 20.8%, which really surprised me because I do have a few 'wobbly' bits. I guess it is all down to body type/composition, and I suppose it shows that any single measurement of health alone is unreliable.

Anyway, I am absoluteley shagged, its been a long time since I pused myself. I enjoyed it but I feel a bit sick.

DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #282 on: August 22, 2013, 04:03:25 PM »

And just so I have even more accountability, here are my starting stats from yesterday:

Weight - 94kg (I'm 5ft 10" btw)

Stomach  - 43.5"

Belt line 43.5"

Chest 44"

Body fat - 20.3% - 21.8%

The aim is to lose 6lbs and three inches (combined across the three measurements in any order) by October 7th. 
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #283 on: August 23, 2013, 12:49:00 PM »

34th birthday today (Yes Mr Johnson, thats the actual age)

I am now officially mid-thirties. I quite enjoy being in my thirties.

My twin sister (Did I mention I'm a twin?) always goes away for our birthday, in fact I havent seen her on this day for at least ten years. She is going 'zorbing' today, whatever that is.

A lot more low key for me, I went and had a nice costa coffee (Did I mention I was addicted to costa coffee?), took the dog for a walk then had a sausage sandwhich round my mums. Other than that, its just a normal working day.

All my friends are coming out tonight for the Caribbean night at the local cafe. I also have one of the very first instances where my poker friends meet my non poker friends, as Frasier is coming with his missus. My friends are an odd bunch, so he will fit right in.

This missus got me this as a joke, which has backfired because I am looking forward to filling it in:

FUN4FRASER

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: August 24, 2013, 11:37:23 AM »

Good Fun at the local Caribbean...We all loved the food and Mr Shoelace was doing well knocking back the tequila infused beers. A cake came out and we all sang happy birthday and retired to the local .

He was still going strong on the beers but then got presented with a big shot of Jagermeister . After knocking it straight down he was told  by his mate  " They didn't have any Jagermeisters so I got you a doubleTia Maria instead "  After that he seemed to go off the rails slightly and was last seen muttering  "not sure if Ill make the poker tomorrow"

Great Night   Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 ... 41 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: