blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:45:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272595 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Pocket Queens:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pocket Queens:  (Read 114437 times)
DingleBelle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: November 16, 2014, 07:25:57 PM »

Performance appraisal (or performance review) is an opportunity for individual employees and those concerned with their performance, typically line managers, to engage in a dialogue about their performance and development, as well as the support required from the manager (FN 1)

It’s been "annual appraisal week” in the office. That rather painful process that enables your bosses to analyse how you have performed over the last year, instantly forget it, then set you objectives for the next year.

I have been extremely lucky in my current role, in that I have out-performed (possibly by luck, rather than judgement) and I have two bosses who are extremely good at giving feedback. But not all of my peers have been that lucky and I hear so many stories (usually fuelled by the nervous anticipation that breeds from the build-up to the meeting) of poor appraisals and the very de-motivated month that is inevitably going to follow.

The stories are as varied as they are cringeworthy, but it did get me thinking about why such an important aspect of your role could literally reduce the most strong and powerful professional into a nervous wreck.

To me, there is one fundamental aspect of an appraisal that is usually always a recipe for disaster … no matter how impressive an individual can have performed, employers find an insatiable need to include the section entitled “areas of improvement”. Ah yes … constructive criticism.

Now let’s be realistic here. The very purpose of an appraisal is to consider all aspects of performance, both good and bad, and it would be counter-productive to ignore ares that genuinely need improvement. The problem I find with this process is that we seem to have become so obsessed with including advice of how one’s performance can be improved that it has become mandatory to include it. Time and time again, (in previous employment I stress) I have seen feedback forms returned, or managers scolded for not including a plan of how that individual can improve for the next period.

Take "Exhibit A”: Employee Smith receives a performance grade of “excellent”. He has excelled in all of the listed skill sets. He has billed over and above his target. He has introduced more work than what was budgeted for. He has won a large client contact, even thought that was not part of his objectives for the year. Is it too much to ask for a "well done, you couldn’t have done better (taking into account all circumstances) and let’s set a plan for next year”? Leave that box labelled “areas for improvement” blank?

But it isn’t left blank. Instead it is filled with some shoe-horned comment along the lines of “Needs to work on networking with internal contacts”, included because he doesn’t spend lunch with his team. Or something equally as ludicrous.

The reality is that many managers are promoted as a reward for performing well in their own roles throughout the year. They aren’t natural managers and they aren’t trained in the specific skill set that managers require. They feel uncomfortable in praising a subordinate and they are worried about attaching too glowing a report to specific employees, to avoid the inevitable salary increase request that follows. There is also the 'self-preservation’ factor;  a nervousness that flows from a potential leadership challenge meaning that the manager goes into defence mode.

A successful business is built (amongst other things) on finding the delicate balance between two fragile and conflicting concepts. The first is the notion that a business must not fall stagnant and must constantly evolve in order to succeed. It therefore needs its employees to mirror that strategy in applying their own skills and technical knowledge. The other concept is that individuals thrive on positive feedback as it builds self-esteem; they tend to perform better when they are within their comfort zone. I imagine it’s pretty hard to find that delicate balance between the two.

Sadly, there’s probably not an answer here. You can’t stop carrying out appraisals as they are a legitimate tool for monitoring progression. They just need to a) be delivered better and b) prepared for appropriately (yes, accountability for own progression; employees take note).

It seems a funny topic to post in a poker blog. But given that my contribution to your reading matter has been entirely lifestyle-based, I did wonder how often you all take time to appraise your own life. Do you set yourself personal performance goals? Do you reflect each year on what you have achieved? Do you monitor growth or decline in areas such as finance, relationships, hobbies etc?

I don’t. But I would like to. And I am going to. I have recently stumbled across a self-imporovement theory called “20 Little Promises” and I will elaborate on this in a later post. In the meantime I hope that you are all enjoying the last of the weekend and that you are in a good mindset to attack the coming week with positivity and determination.

Until next time.

B

1 http://www.cipd.co.uk/hr-resources/factsheets/performance-appraisal.asp
VBlue

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 16, 2014, 08:06:25 PM »

In a short response, to stay ahead of the game it is essential to reinvent oneself year on year.  Addition get a new skill,  working on a skill that is under-developed; if you want to relate to poker it is Jared Tendler's inch worm method.

Nobody is so good that they cannot improve.

That said, if we are talking about writing something down as constructive criticism because the appraiser is unimaginative and simply wants to tick a box then not sure that is helpful. I've had it happen and just shrugged at a suggestion or had to come up with something feeble myself.  Not sure I would accept that so easily again, though I am sure it did no harm overall.

I have also worked for years without appraisal and it's largely demotivating.  Going back to a target-orientated, very corporate position next Monday and can't wait to sock it to 'em.
DingleBelle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: November 17, 2014, 10:52:36 AM »

^^ Absolutely ^^

Great comments in response and good luck in your new venture.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 22, 2014, 05:52:40 PM »

Oioi!

Click to see full-size image.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
DingleBelle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: November 22, 2014, 11:09:18 PM »

I was not at the game today.

I was in the middle of lunch when I checked my phone to see how many goals we had gone behind by.

I saw the screen ... and stared at it for a good few minutes.

Surely the result must have been mis-typed?  Surely we weren't 0-2 up?!

I may have used naughty language at the final whistle.
DingleBelle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: December 11, 2014, 11:59:33 PM »

And with the power vested in me, I now pronounce Christmas open!

So it's December. Where the heck did that come from? Seriously, someone needs to tell Mother Nature that you can do someone a mischief creeping up on them like that.

I love this time of year, so any regular readers who sit on the Grinch side of the fence may want to take a vacation from Pocket Queens for a few weeks.  

Now as much as I love Christmas, I'm not one of those types who has done all of their shopping and put the tree up by the first week of November. The house rule is that Christmas does not officially open until Advent.

And what can be more tortuous for an Elf wannabe than the daily countdown of an Advent Calendar. Ahhhhh, how many days left???  I'm not a big fan of branded chocolate advent calendars and whilst I've always gone for the Dickens-esque picture calendar, the past few years has seen the Boy treat me ... wait for it ... to a LEGO ADVENT CALENDAR. How cool??

This year's is particularly exciting as we've gone for the Star Wars theme. Snow Troopers, fighters and a Santa Darth Vader.  Not sure where the Skywalkers and the Solos et àl fit in with the birth of Christ, but let's go with it

It's always a tradition of ours to go on a Christmas holiday this weekend, so as I write this post we're throwing clothes into a bag and grabbing a flight to ... Prague. Nothing at all to do with the EPT. Nope. Well maybe a little.

We got ourselves a fancy hotel: "The Boscolo"

Just a short trip for us but will get the chance to play a few side events. I'm really hoping to top this breakthrough year off with a trophy. I've recently invested in a poker coach so I'm eager to put my first month's lessons into practice.

In the meantime, please can we all pray that this snow doesn't stick and we make the airport.  

See you in Prague.

Until next time.

B
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 12:09:02 AM by DingleBelle » Logged
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 12, 2014, 12:03:22 AM »

good luck!

Which events will you play and who is your poker coach?

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
DingleBelle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: December 12, 2014, 03:17:08 PM »

good luck!

^^ Thanks v much ^^

Not even got myself organised enough yet to figure out exactly what I'm playing, but I imagine I'll play the DS and the Ladies on Sun?

You know, I never actually checked with my coach whether I can reveal all ha! Probs better do that before I call him/her out on here :-p

B

B
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 12, 2014, 04:52:23 PM »

good luck!

^^ Thanks v much ^^

Not even got myself organised enough yet to figure out exactly what I'm playing, but I imagine I'll play the DS and the Ladies on Sun?

You know, I never actually checked with my coach whether I can reveal all ha! Probs better do that before I call him/her out on here :-p

B

B

Is he very small - smaller even than Pleno?

PS - I need to send you a PM about another matter, unrelated to poker, look out for it please. Should have sent it a few days ago, but been up to my eyes in stuff.

You'll like it. Up to a point........

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Magic817

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 12, 2014, 05:59:19 PM »

good luck!

^^ Thanks v much ^^

B

B

Is he very small - smaller even than Pleno?

PS - I need to send you a PM about another matter, unrelated to poker, look out for it please. Should have sent it a few days ago, but been up to my eyes in stuff.

You'll like it. Up to a point........

No, it is not me!
DingleBelle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: December 12, 2014, 10:09:45 PM »

I'm not sure Mr Bates' luckboxing skills can be taught.

Thanks guys. Noted Tikay.

Update from Day 1 to follow in the morning (when I am less tipsy!), but in the meantime I'll leave you with this pretty stunning sunset over Charles Bridge.

B
DingleBelle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: December 13, 2014, 12:10:38 PM »

So Prague is pretty stunning.

Very early start for the habitants of Pocket Queens . A pre-sunrise flight out of the UK saw us getting out of our beds around 4am Friday morning.  Given that we only finished work (you would not believe the stress it takes to leave the office for a couple of days) and got into those very same beds around 12.30am, we hardly even had the chance to enter dreamland before we were braving the torrential rain and winds of the M60.

Still, it was a pleasant (ish) flight and once I got through the terror of take-off (cold-weather take-off ... very alarming to those with a fear of flying ... I may have cried quite a bit), we at least managed another precious hour of sleep.

No poker for us today, so we hit the sights. For those with a love of architecture, this city is like a candy shop. We wandered straight down to Charles Bridge where we stumbled upon a certain Olivier Busquet getting his characteur done:

Following the sunset I showed you in the last post, we partook in a little culture break and went to a concert; a lovely string quartet's rendition of Vivaldi's Four Seasons, with some classic Christmas carols thrown in to boot. Was lovely and was also a good opportunity to get out of the cold. The Boy fell asleep.

Nighttime in Prague is equally as stunning and we hit the Christmas markets for some food and festivities. I was delighted to see that Prague serves Trdelník. We have this in Hungary (where it's called "Kürtöskalács") and its one of my fave things. Basically sweet bread dipped in super. But it's round and pretty!

So with our bellies full of food and wine (mostly served hot!) we hit the deck. All ready to start again tomorrow

B
DingleBelle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: December 13, 2014, 07:19:22 PM »

So my beloved Clarets won.

In the only game I've missed this season. 

I need to book more flights

#championsleagueform

B
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 13, 2014, 09:44:15 PM »

So my beloved Clarets won.

In the only game I've missed this season. 

I need to book more flights

#championsleagueform

B

You coming to the Lane next week?

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
DingleBelle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: December 14, 2014, 10:10:40 AM »

Update from Prague:

We now have one of these!

Played in the €330 Turno DS. Over 400 runners and 63 got paid. I finished 42 for about €560 I think.

Was an unbelievable bubble. With 3 AIs that doubled up. I was then left with just TWO ANTES and was about to play my hand (10 3 off!) when the floor announced THREE ALL INS AND CALLS.

I folded. Closed my eyes. And hoped I wasn't going to need to red card myself from the game forever.

First two AIs both survived. Was down to the last one. He lost. The bubble burst. I cashed.

I then spun my two antes into a 15bb stack but bust about 20 places later.

Job done.

B
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 ... 26 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: