blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:44:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272484 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Pocket Queens:
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pocket Queens:  (Read 113939 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: January 07, 2015, 11:36:48 AM »

how much were turf moor tickets for the Spurs match on Monday?

presumably not part of a season ticket?

why the attendance apathy? cost or another reason?

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 07, 2015, 12:44:24 PM »

Think you are getting confused Rich, or misread the number attending the game - it was not 934.8, it was 9,348.

That's about double average @ Turf Moor I balieve.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
DingleBelle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: January 07, 2015, 10:02:32 PM »

Hi Nat,

That Health Farm - it's Ragdale Hall, right?

I had the dubious pleasure of being imprisoned there for best part of a week about 30 years ago. The memory lingers.....

Happy New Year to Adam & your self.

x

Good knowledge Tikay.  It was indeed RH.

B
DingleBelle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: January 07, 2015, 10:08:33 PM »

Nope, not part of the Season Ticket, and match prices were £20 across all stands (which had to also been agreed with Spurs).

I think cost played a part in poor attendance (straight after Christmas is a tough time for the folks of Burnley, where money isn't that easy to come by for many), but I think the biggest issue was the timing.

The clubs made the decision to play on a Monday night, as both teams had a lot of games and they wanted to rest players.  So they scheduled it for a Monday night, the one day that all schools and work went back after the Christmas and NY break.

Utterly ridiculous decision and cost them dear!  They had to close a whole stand!  And of course that was the stand that Sam ( ) scored in front of, so all of the national media got a shot of him celebrating in front of literally no fans!

I despair sometimes.

Saying that, Spurs brought about 3,500 fans all the way from London. Very impressive!!

Ps good luck in your silly bid to sign Danny!  
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 09, 2015, 10:08:56 AM »

Ha! not a chance

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
DingleBelle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: February 07, 2015, 01:23:49 PM »

Bonjour.

I don’t think I ever feel as free as I do when I am flying down a mountain in the crisp mountain air and the bright sunshine of the Alps. And that’s exactly where the habitants of Pocket Queens HQ were last week.

Click to see full-size image.

It may come as little surprise to you all that probably 90% of our annual leave allocation is spent on poker trips. My bosses have in the past (several times) expressed concern at the lack of “rest” that we get each year. One of the greatest challenges of being a serious recreational poker player is balancing work and tournaments (not forgetting the travel time involved in getting there and back). We do try to select our trips (certainly international ones) around cities we have not yet visited, thus combining what we want to play with where we want to explore. Some have dismissed this as pure justification for a “poker habit” (yawn), but it’s the truth.  Take this year for example; bot Malta and Berlin appear on our schedule and we cannot wait to spend some time (the extent of which will, inevitably, depend on how quickly we bust everything) exploring new territory.

The exception to that norm is our annual skiing trip. Cemented firmly into the calendar, it provides us with the only time we can to step away from work (no Blackberry signals in the mountains), stay away from the tables (largely) and recover. It is rare as adults that we spend so much time outdoors and the benefits are hard to ignore; seven hours a day in the fresh air doing extreme sports. You come home with a clear head, a smaller waistline and an array of toned muscles. There is a challenge when you get back to re-train your mind that you can no longer eat what you want whenever you want, but that’s another matter.

So we feel great, and are ready to take on the World with a renewed enthusiasm. I have reassured my poker coach that I have not fallen off the face of the earth and am ready to take significant work to improve my game. And the day job just feels better (for both of us).

It’s a happy Pocket Queens HQ. And long may that continue.

Click to see full-size image.

Until next time.

B
DingleBelle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: February 19, 2015, 12:33:04 AM »

“Love is in the air … everywhere you look around” John Paul Young

♥ ♥ Romance well and truly dominated the weekend.  Valentine’s Day was upon us and hearts and cherubs littered the atmosphere like ticker-tape at the Super Bowl. As good as this is in principle (anything that promotes the spreading of love in this crappy world has to be good, yes), I am not sure how I feel about Valentine’s. It just feels so … forced. I am not an overtly romantic person, but I am “cute” romantic in private. If that makes sense. I regularly make gestures that are hugely personal to our relationship and mean a lot. But I am not a “showy’ romantic. Perhaps that is why I am not a massive fan of 14 February. I feel like I am being dictated to by the rule book of St Valentine. Red roses must be sent. Dinner reservations must be made. A year’s salary must be spent in a designer lingerie store. Call it the rebel in me, but I will not conform. ♥ ♥

Don’t get me wrong, we do celebrate the day, but for us it is a chance to shut out the world and spend some quality time together. Without work, poker, families or chores. The Boy sends me flowers, but instead of the regulation dozen red roses inflated to astronomical prices , he sent me white ones. They are my favourite. Classy move. And I made him breakfast (regular readers will recall that I am not a good cook; I skived that class of Wife School). It was Eggs Royale and was the first time I had poached an egg (without the assistance of any gadget as well #proud). I bought some cute little heart-shaped plates to present them on (subconscious tactic) but it turns out such a deflection was not required - he loved it.

We already had plans that night as we had long-standing tickets to see Top Hat; a thoroughly enjoyable musical set in the 1930s which combines old fashioned screwball comedy with awesome dancing and (ironically) a love story. We are huge fans of the theatre and had such a good night; even the ultimate romantic gesture of a very public proposal at the end.

But in the blink of an eye, the weekend was lost and Monday morning dawned on us with startling speed. Not all bad though as we had Pancake Day to break the week up (*edit; we ‘should’ have had Pancake Day on Tuesday, but we have been busy and have delayed this until the weekend … the rebel in me has had a field-day this week!) and we are hurtling towards UKPC 2015. I cannot wait. We will be at DTD both weekends to play the Mini and the Main. Sadly work has to take priority over the midweek games, otherwise Rob and his team may have had to drag us out of the card room kicking and screaming!

If you are playing and you see us at DTD then come say hello! I will most likely be at the bar from level one onwards...

Until next time

B

Mohican

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: February 19, 2015, 02:20:10 AM »

No mention of the chocolate abstinence for lent???

Cymru am byth
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 19, 2015, 07:18:10 AM »

You are such a big softie Natterley.

Lovely piece of writing though, & life sounds great.

See you at DTD this weekend.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 03, 2015, 08:59:23 AM »

You big softie.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 03, 2015, 09:00:39 AM »

Was lovely to see you & The Boy last week.

How much fun was it sharing a table with John Duthie?

DingleBelle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: March 03, 2015, 09:16:04 PM »

And you Sir.  I shall let you off for bullying me all weekend!!

The table was unreal. I genuinely can't remember enjoying a table that much in a long long time. People ask me all the time why I play so much. That afternoon is more reason than one person will ever need!

B x
DrDreh
RehK47

The Rehfish

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 05, 2015, 06:26:35 PM »

Nice meeting and playing with you this weekend!  The 'law student' at your table in the 8max Smiley

a law student at nottingham university, rehman is indeed terrible
DingleBelle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: March 05, 2015, 08:44:46 PM »

Ah excellent. Yes and you!

My offer was genuine.  Drop me a line if you need any assistance.

B
DingleBelle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: March 08, 2015, 11:08:39 AM »

UKPC 2015

And so UKPC is over for another year. And, as expected, what a week it was.

I could have happily spent every day of the entire festival in DTD, but sadly work got in the way. As I mentioned in an earlier post, work commitments mean that we simply cannot play everything. We have to carefully select a) festivals and then b) tournaments within those festivals to maximise the amount of poker we get to play out of our 27 days a year annual leave. This year I decided to “buy” some extra holidays at work; my firm offers this facility as part of my remuneration package and whilst it is expensive and not exactly the most tax-efficient benefit, it has allowed me to increase my annual leave to six weeks this year. Which equates in Bromley-World to more poker!

The first weekend was the UKPC Mini and three Day 1 flights on a Saturday meant that we could play this one with zero time out of the office. And (unfortunately) all three flights I did play! Plus the Turbo Day 1 on the Sunday! I am in the middle of a really bad run of variance at the moment. It happens, of course, and you just have to ride it out. The UKPC Mini was not only a little ridiculous, but also very weird in that all three flights followed practically an identical structure. In all three, I built a decent stack but ran into a crucial hand against a shorter stack that saw me lose and reduced to between 20-25bb. Unavoidable races/flips with big hands that didn’t hold. Then in all three flights, I got it all in pre with said 20bbs with QQ. In two of the flights, I ran into AA and KK. Shrugs. But the third one was quite ridiculous; the action folded to the button who opened jammed 35bb. I am in the SB and look down at QQ. I call and BB folds. The Button winces and shows 9-2 off. Happy Christmas Bromley. Flop comes down K  9  2. GG. Sigh.

So we decide to go hunting for the big one. The UKPC ME the following weekend. I was happy with my play and did manage to make Day 2, albeit with a slightly depressing 10bb stack. I failed to find the early double-up I needed though and was at the rail before the first level of Day 2 had played out. The Boy won the last-longer and did a min-cash. He played his part in an absolute crazy bubble that saw about 13 short stacks double up. Some of those short stacks were automatically AI and still managed to hold. When the bubble finally burst, the Boy had just enough chips left to pay one more set of blinds and about 6 antes. Sweat.

I have a long-standing role at Sky sponsored tournaments; I bring cakes for the crew. The picture Tikay posted above is of the tray of cakes which I decided to “badge up”. As is usual in my life, I left everything to last minute and so found myself cutting out little UKPC logos at midnight before we travelled to Nottingham:

Day 1 was the most fun I have had at a live event in a very long time. Every player on the table was fun, chatty, sensible and interesting. No hoodies or headphones. Legends of the game were re-living tales. Online qualifiers playing their first tournaments were having pictures taken with said legends. Tikay was donating chips. We both noted towards the end of the day that if every live table played out like ours did then so many more people would be encouraged to play.

And so it’s back to the online grind for a while. It is my birthday at the end of the month and so I have decided to fly out to Malta to celebrate with the EPT. Surely it’s time I took down a trophy. I have yet to win a live event in my poker career and it’s about time that changed.

May the Sunday-Grind Gods shine on you all.

B
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 ... 26 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: