blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:55:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Are atheists mentally ill?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Are atheists mentally ill?  (Read 2056 times)
Redsgirl

View Profile
« on: August 23, 2013, 10:00:43 PM »

This guy sure seems to think so.......

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/seanthomas/100231060/are-atheists-mentally-ill/

If a man speaks in a forest and no woman is there to hear him, is he still wrong?
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 10:06:16 PM »

I don't buy that he really believes what he's written there.  another attention-seeking troll a la Jan Moir or Samantha Brick imo

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
Redsgirl

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 10:46:05 AM »

I don't buy that he really believes what he's written there.  another attention-seeking troll a la Jan Moir or Samantha Brick imo

I agree 100% Claw, but this kind of article still really winds me up! It isn't the subject matter, because I know if the editor had asked him to write about immigrants or single mums or people who spend the bank holiday doing DIY he'd have come up with something similarly passionate, its the fact that the media is full of shameless morons competing to say the most inflammatory things under by lines like 'Tells it like it is'
Why is this? Why is getting people riled up now the norm?

If a man speaks in a forest and no woman is there to hear him, is he still wrong?
redarmi

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 12:58:19 PM »

It is a pretty bizarre article really and the conclusions he gathers from it are even more bizarre because, actually, the subject matter and general point he is making is a pretty interesting one which is that generally speaking religious people are happier and healthier.

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 01:15:47 PM »

If there is any evidence to prove that religious people are "happier and healthier", it would almost certainly be for benefits from being part of a social grouping and not from the belief itself.
rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 01:54:03 PM »

It is a pretty bizarre article really and the conclusions he gathers from it are even more bizarre because, actually, the subject matter and general point he is making is a pretty interesting one which is that generally speaking religious people are happier and healthier.

Absolutely spot on. The general point is very interesting. Placebo type things fascinate me.

[21:05:17] Andrew W: you wasted a non spelling mistakepost?
[21:11:08] Patrick Leonard: oll
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 07:40:43 AM »

"So which is the smart party, here? Is it the atheists, who live short, selfish, stunted little lives – often childless – before they approach hopeless death in despair, and their worthless corpses are chucked in a trench (or, if they are wrong, they go to Hell)? Or is it the believers, who live longer, happier, healthier, more generous lives, and who have more kids, and who go to their quietus with ritual dignity, expecting to be greeted by a smiling and benevolent God?"

Dick
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: