blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:35:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272539 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  The *official* "whatever happened to?" thread
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 141 142 [143] 144 145 146 147 ... 154 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The *official* "whatever happened to?" thread  (Read 521481 times)
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #2130 on: September 14, 2022, 12:59:29 PM »

Dave Penly?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/david-penly-83972a1b?originalSubdomain=uk

I was thinking I still see him every so often on Stars, but he hasn't played since 2020 (just checked).  Probably a good thing.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: September 15, 2022, 09:19:07 AM »

Dave Penly?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/david-penly-83972a1b?originalSubdomain=uk

I was thinking I still see him every so often on Stars, but he hasn't played since 2020 (just checked).  Probably a good thing.

Gets around a bit!

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: September 15, 2022, 09:36:49 AM »

The question arose, as I was chatting with a bunch of time-served pokerists up at the SPT last weekend & the convo got round to "spin-up" merchants - guys who could run nothing up to a fortune & back to nothing in a matter of days.

One name that arose was the late Pete Linton who run zilch up to 6 figures & back again regularly.

Dave Penly came into my mind as the supreme spin-up artist of his time, but I could not remember his name for the life of me. Then I awoke in the middle of the night two days later & realised it was Dave Penly.

I imagine, given the current "Responsible Gaming" constraints he'd struggle to get money on legit accounts these days, though I'm sure there are ways & means.

If he's not pokering, I wonder what he is doing these days? Struggle to imagine him in a regular 9 till 5 job. Same for many others like him, I often wonder what they are doing now.

PS - I don't have LinkedIn so I can't see that link.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 09:44:49 AM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: September 15, 2022, 11:01:32 AM »

The question arose, as I was chatting with a bunch of time-served pokerists up at the SPT last weekend & the convo got round to "spin-up" merchants - guys who could run nothing up to a fortune & back to nothing in a matter of days.

One name that arose was the late Pete Linton who run zilch up to 6 figures & back again regularly.

Dave Penly came into my mind as the supreme spin-up artist of his time, but I could not remember his name for the life of me. Then I awoke in the middle of the night two days later & realised it was Dave Penly.

I imagine, given the current "Responsible Gaming" constraints he'd struggle to get money on legit accounts these days, though I'm sure there are ways & means.

If he's not pokering, I wonder what he is doing these days? Struggle to imagine him in a regular 9 till 5 job. Same for many others like him, I often wonder what they are doing now.

He has been doing various accounting jobs.  I assume he is contracting given the short periods he is at each one.

Given the way he used to spin up, and his reputation, I assumed he frequently had his whole bank roll on the line (and more). As a gambler, I have had times in the past where I have staked too much, but have got through that as I got older.  He never seemed to discover that stop, so think a lot of his gambling was unhealthy. 

If he has found a better way to make a living it is probably a good thing.   

On a related note, I am not sure he'd be stopped.  If he can produce payslips etc then it is going to be a while before he gets stopped and there is always somewhere else? 

From personal experience, it seems much easier to get stopped from betting well than it is from going on a bad downswing and having no income. ie my experience is virtually 100% getting stopped for the former and 100% never been stopped for the latter. Maybe this will change going forward? 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: September 16, 2022, 09:06:42 AM »

“The late Pete Linton?”
What happened there?
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: September 16, 2022, 09:23:30 AM »

“The late Pete Linton?”
What happened there?

Hi Adam,

There's a thread somewhere which I'll try & find, but this is an extract of something Cos wrote in April of last year over on the Sky Poker Forum;

His cause of death, as disclosed to his family by the coroner in Mexico where he was traveling at the time was a heart attack. He was also found to have 2 blood clots, something which there was a history of in the family.

Very very sad.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 09:28:04 AM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: September 16, 2022, 09:26:04 AM »

Here it is Adam.

http://blondepoker.com/forum/index.php?topic=68803.0

AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: September 19, 2022, 09:10:47 PM »

Very sad. Didn’t know him well, but seemed like a nice lad, always good for a laugh at the table, but  also a nightmare to play against. Felt like he could see through cards sometimes.
tonytats

View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: September 22, 2022, 10:15:08 PM »

Pete Linton once whilst I was sat at the bar in the golden nugget and he had a beer or two with me
He said how certain players at Dtd viewed me as their wages ,
I never played cash there again
Obv a little disappointed ☹️
But he was right I’m not that good
There’s much better players out there
Saved me a few Bob did that
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: October 01, 2022, 01:01:21 AM »

Tony Bloom rolling back the years.... First tourney in 3 years and ships it!

$25k PLO @ The PGT Poker Masters for $360k.

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: October 01, 2022, 09:26:05 AM »

Tony Bloom rolling back the years.... First tourney in 3 years and ships it!

$25k PLO @ The PGT Poker Masters for $360k.

Starlizard not paying the bills anymore? 

Reckon he is a regular in the Friday night crapshoots at the Rendezvous and it just doesn't show up on his Hendon. 

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: October 15, 2022, 09:58:14 PM »

He has been doing various accounting jobs.  I assume he is contracting given the short periods he is at each one.

Given the way he used to spin up, and his reputation, I assumed he frequently had his whole bank roll on the line (and more). As a gambler, I have had times in the past where I have staked too much, but have got through that as I got older.  He never seemed to discover that stop, so think a lot of his gambling was unhealthy. 

If he has found a better way to make a living it is probably a good thing.   

On a related note, I am not sure he'd be stopped.  If he can produce payslips etc then it is going to be a while before he gets stopped and there is always somewhere else? 

From personal experience, it seems much easier to get stopped from betting well than it is from going on a bad downswing and having no income. ie my experience is virtually 100% getting stopped for the former and 100% never been stopped for the latter. Maybe this will change going forward? 

He is sat with me at the FT of the $27 NLO8 on Stars right now.  $317 up top. 

tonytats

View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: October 16, 2022, 09:09:36 AM »

ESO krail? From Southend .
Was an estate agent ? Then a smoothie / juice shop owner
I haven’t heard or seen him for ages
redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: October 16, 2022, 11:01:38 AM »

ESO krail? From Southend .
Was an estate agent ? Then a smoothie / juice shop owner
I haven’t heard or seen him for ages

Seriously into health and fitness and bodybuilding judging by his facebook posts.

https://www.facebook.com/richard.blacklock.1

Success has many parents but failure is an orphan

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: October 16, 2022, 02:57:38 PM »

he had his own personal training business a few years ago with his own website and was ripped to fuck body wise.   Lovely guy would be great to see him again.   As big a degen as dubai in the glory days just to smaller stakes.
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 141 142 [143] 144 145 146 147 ... 154 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: