blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:39:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Do we need ANTES in DTD's £15 to £50 Evening Comps (30 min clocks or less)?
Poll
Question: Should there be Antes in 1 Day £15-£50 comps?
No Antes - 59 (45.7%)
Yes - Keep Antes - 65 (50.4%)
Dont Care or Dont know - 5 (3.9%)
Total Voters: 128

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Do we need ANTES in DTD's £15 to £50 Evening Comps (30 min clocks or less)?  (Read 24392 times)
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 17, 2013, 05:59:33 PM »

less in the pot = more incentive to shove

say wat

I didn't say that.  I said for the same pot size, the pot composed of blinds alone is more likely to lead to preflop allins?  Do you disagree with that?
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: December 17, 2013, 06:11:03 PM »

say wat

I didn't say that.  I said for the same pot size, the pot composed of blinds alone is more likely to lead to preflop allins?  Do you disagree with that?

I get what you're saying but don't see why it's relevant as the antes you describe are unrealistic most antes are 1/4ish the sb not 1sb.

you're initial one liner is related more to proper strategy rather than a structure discussion esp with all the people who don't play correctly. I also agree with the response you disagree with but that disagreement is based on really specifically unrealistic examples and pedantry it seems.

just come and watch a sky tourny play out with no antes and you'll see the problem.

it's less of a shove fest and more of a fold and wait till they cant fold to your shove fest, then a lets go complain about the shovefest rather than wondering if we played well.

antes from the start is a good idea imo, worked really well in some tournies they ran at the international a little while back, they wanted a pr aspect to use so they started with 50k stacks with 100/200/25 as the first level.
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 17, 2013, 06:19:58 PM »

say wat

I get what you're saying but don't see why it's relevant as the antes you describe are unrealistic most antes are 1/4ish the sb not 1sb.

you're initial one liner is related more to proper strategy rather than a structure discussion esp with all the people who don't play correctly. I also agree with the response you disagree with but that disagreement is based on really specifically unrealistic examples and pedantry it seems.

just come and watch a sky tourny play out with no antes and you'll see the problem.

it's less of a shove fest and more of a fold and wait till they cant fold to your shove fest, then a lets go complain about the shovefest rather than wondering if we played well.

antes from the start is a good idea imo, worked really well in some tournies they ran at the international a little while back, they wanted a pr aspect to use so they started with 50k stacks with 100/200/25 as the first level.

obv I know what size antes are

The point is that antes are good for play but slow down the game. So if you want to have the same effect as antes (larger pot in relation to opening bet) you have to do something like two big blinds or an extra small blind on the button.

titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: December 17, 2013, 06:30:28 PM »

with vaguely competent dealers/players it doesn't have to slow them down that much. + if lower players sat into a bigger dtd comp then they are going to have to play them so the experience helps rather than being like wait wat everyhand. 1 clueless person can slow a table down so much more than lethargic regs.

I'm so confused, you seem to be arguing the case for antes right?
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 17, 2013, 06:38:49 PM »

with vaguely competent dealers/players it doesn't have to slow them down that much. + if lower players sat into a bigger dtd comp then they are going to have to play them so the experience helps rather than being like wait wat everyhand. 1 clueless person can slow a table down so much more than lethargic regs.

I'm so confused, you seem to be arguing the case for antes right?

I'm just saying what antes do to the action imo.

The issue is that they DO slow the game down according to posts early in the thread.
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: December 17, 2013, 06:43:11 PM »

so does stupid tanking, tanking after you've watched someone else tank, not looking at your cards till 30 seconds after it's on you etc etc

those have less direct affect on the 'amount of play' compared to antes, hence I think antes should def be included and preferably brought in earlier.

shot clocks ftw
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 17, 2013, 06:46:48 PM »

Been thinking more about this, initially was against removing antes as I personally prefer them in.

In terms of what's good for the game tho in turbo, lower buy in comps - I'm pretty much persuaded that removing them would be generally popular for those that play them and deal them - ergo, think it probs makes sense to lose them.

sola virtus nobilitat
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 17, 2013, 09:38:45 PM »

What % of posters itt are actually the demographic being targeted here though ?

Does seem like most posts from those in favour is from a personal pov of ante's are incred, gotta keep the antes. Anyone who isn't a pro though has no reason to actually care about long term survival of the game, they can just find a different hobby.

I would say keep them in for the £50 bi and lose them for the rest, that way you give lower stakes players the chance to play better structures for less, which covers Pads' point, which was my first thought also, whilst making the game more fun for those looking for just that. I'd expect most of the people playing £20 comps will have a better experience without antes.
teamonkey

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 17, 2013, 09:43:50 PM »

and put a timer on action, get them to use their braincells quicker!!!!
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 17, 2013, 09:57:19 PM »

and put a timer on action, get them to use their braincells quicker!!!!

Do you think new players who are nervous about playing live will enjoy this though ?
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 17, 2013, 10:01:03 PM »

What % of posters itt are actually the demographic being targeted here though ?

Does seem like most posts from those in favour is from a personal pov of ante's are incred, gotta keep the antes. Anyone who isn't a pro though has no reason to actually care about long term survival of the game, they can just find a different hobby.

I would say keep them in for the £50 bi and lose them for the rest, that way you give lower stakes players the chance to play better structures for less, which covers Pads' point, which was my first thought also, whilst making the game more fun for those looking for just that. I'd expect most of the people playing £20 comps will have a better experience without antes.

Great Post, Mr Ray.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 17, 2013, 10:02:56 PM »

Current voting figures, fwiw......

No Antes - 51 (47.2%)
Yes - Keep Antes - 54 (50%)
Dont Care or Dont know - 3 (2.8%)

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 17, 2013, 10:05:06 PM »

Tikay, the idea of the voting being hidden is that you have to express your own opinion without seeing what others have said. It has to be YOUR view.

Nevertheless, good to see plenty of comments and involvement

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 17, 2013, 10:06:25 PM »

Tikay, the idea of the voting being hidden is that you have to express your own opinion without seeing what others have said. It has to be YOUR view.

It's not hidden ? Just have to click view results.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 17, 2013, 10:07:04 PM »

Whoops, I thought everyone could see them, sorry!

Most of the votes have been cast by now, as luck would have it, so hopefully no harm done.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: