blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:18:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272484 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Do we need ANTES in DTD's £15 to £50 Evening Comps (30 min clocks or less)?
Poll
Question: Should there be Antes in 1 Day £15-£50 comps?
No Antes - 59 (45.7%)
Yes - Keep Antes - 65 (50.4%)
Dont Care or Dont know - 5 (3.9%)
Total Voters: 128

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 [10] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Do we need ANTES in DTD's £15 to £50 Evening Comps (30 min clocks or less)?  (Read 24399 times)
Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: December 20, 2013, 09:09:11 AM »

Hi Rob,
My thoughts shouldn't (don't) matter as I hardly ever play live, but I wasn't putting forward a solution that was for my benefit ~ I'm an old nit that can sit there peddling 8bbs all evening along with the worst of them...

I'm sure most of the people that complained about finishing times would also prefer to have more chips too... such is the nature of poker players, a lot of them don't seem to realise the consequences of what they ask for.  Of the players wanting to "see more hands" I wonder if some of them wanted to take more flops, rather than be dealt more hands.  You say 'more hands mean more players bust' but more reasons to enter a pot mean more players bust too.

Everyone rowing for home 4 tables out with 8bbs for the remainder of the comp isn't enjoyable poker, but neither is being sat there until 6am waiting for someone to enter a pot.  I think the goal should be to have a structure that finishes at a sensible time, (not too many chips in play on a "slow" clock) and allows some play post flop. Any structure that achieves that is a good tourny to play, with or without antes.

CHIPPYMAN

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 20, 2013, 09:18:00 AM »

To me with or without ante, early hours finishing time isn't a problems too. My problems is try to win the comp I played . Whatever the house decide , I m fine with it #NEUTRAL-NOCOMMENT
millidonk

I'm supposed to wear a shell.. I don't - SLUG LIFE

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 20, 2013, 10:00:45 AM »

Obv will play DTD whatever happens. I would say I am in the target demographic, if not, certainly on the border of. Local, played a few deepstacks and a UKIPT but the vast majority of my comps have been £50-£100 buy in.

When I have played no ante comps in the past it has just encouraged people to sit and fold util they picked up a monster as they could pretty much do this for free. I didn't find them overly enjoyable to play but that's not to say others didn't.. It certainly didn't increase post flop play and having no antes just meant you had less of an incentive to open a pot imo.

That said, if having no antes makes the majority of recs happier and subsequently increases the size of the player pool then that's win win for everyone!!

GL

janstar
janstar

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 20, 2013, 01:18:46 PM »

To me with or without ante, early hours finishing time isn't a problems too. My problems is try to win the comp I played . Whatever the house decide , I m fine with it #NEUTRAL-NOCOMMENT
I'm with Frankie on this one...whatever you decide..Im in.

HULL...WHAT YOU CALL HELL...I CALL HOME....
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: December 20, 2013, 01:20:35 PM »

Hi Rob,
My thoughts shouldn't (don't) matter as I hardly ever play live, but I wasn't putting forward a solution that was for my benefit ~ I'm an old nit that can sit there peddling 8bbs all evening along with the worst of them...

I'm sure most of the people that complained about finishing times would also prefer to have more chips too... such is the nature of poker players, a lot of them don't seem to realise the consequences of what they ask for.  Of the players wanting to "see more hands" I wonder if some of them wanted to take more flops, rather than be dealt more hands.  You say 'more hands mean more players bust' but more reasons to enter a pot mean more players bust too.

Everyone rowing for home 4 tables out with 8bbs for the remainder of the comp isn't enjoyable poker, but neither is being sat there until 6am waiting for someone to enter a pot.  I think the goal should be to have a structure that finishes at a sensible time, (not too many chips in play on a "slow" clock) and allows some play post flop. Any structure that achieves that is a good tourny to play, with or without antes.

this  + <3 DTD
paulhouk03
Cliqueless

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 21, 2013, 01:35:21 AM »

Finishing times is the main thing for me during mid week tourneys
X
Best tourney in manc is the 50£ on tues  it last past 6 am lol

But it always get like 100+ every week

Just me
teamonkey

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 21, 2013, 03:56:37 PM »

about my 4th post in this thread.....

i dont mind either way personally, as i know when antes kick in i am expected to post, and therefore i do, every hand, regardless of if i've won a pot and am trying to sort my chips, or if i've not done much and am waiting for a playable hand

i love playing at DTD, and wish i lived closer so i could play more

if the structures of the lower buy ins could be adjusted so that 4am finishes were as late as it got then i'd be over the moon too!!!!

either way, whatever Rob et al decide, i'll still make it my aim to get down at least once between offshore trips (and when my pay rises come through try and play some of the bigger buy ins too)

DEVIL

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 22, 2013, 11:44:47 AM »

Keep the antes, and keep them high in relation to the blinds,

Makes the game
1) looser
2) entertaining
2) skillfull
4) chip plentiful, people like scooping in a big pot no matter what the denomination

People have to adapt to going from no antes to antes so it adds another dynamic to the game.

Rather than think of removing antes from tournaments think of a way of adding them into a cash game.

SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 22, 2013, 12:42:44 PM »

think of a way of adding them into a cash game.

Right behind you on this one!

CHIPPYMAN

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 22, 2013, 02:49:41 PM »

Antes in cash game with no straddle allowed will be fun .
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 22, 2013, 03:09:51 PM »

yeah ppl say this but when you look at Pstars and their thousands of players, a miniscule fraction of them choose to sit at ante tables.

rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 22, 2013, 03:37:28 PM »

yeah ppl say this but when you look at Pstars and their thousands of players, a miniscule fraction of them choose to sit at ante tables.

I'd rather turn into salad fingers then play the nlhe games on stars.

[21:05:17] Andrew W: you wasted a non spelling mistakepost?
[21:11:08] Patrick Leonard: oll
smurf

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 22, 2013, 05:13:35 PM »

Rob

On another note, the biggest single complaint from players during  this tour is FINISHING TIMES of evening comps, but that's a whole new debate!

couldn't agree more...most have day jobs...i refer to my post on page 5 of this thread.
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 22, 2013, 05:26:44 PM »

They don't suit most people, I'd just enjoy FR poker a lot more if there were antes, but that is just me

pokerplayingfarmer

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 22, 2013, 08:24:38 PM »

I'm fairly sure most venues would open a cash game with antes if there was demand, even as a one off, we'll give it a try kinda thing.  I'd definitely play.

I've never got it.....ever
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 [10] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: