blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:17:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272592 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Necknomination
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Necknomination  (Read 2719 times)
Rexas

View Profile
« on: February 10, 2014, 10:25:58 AM »

Isaac Richardson was my best friend throughout my secondary school years. He was a little crazy, for sure, and went off the rails a bit some time after leaving to go to a different sixth form. A few days ago, he finally managed to quit smoking and was evidently starting to get his life back on track. I hadn't spoken to him in three years, and was considering getting back in touch, because frankly I missed the guy. I woke up this morning to this.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2555422/I-outdo-Last-words-tragic-drinking-victim-Briton-die-internet-craze-NekNomination.html

Everyone who has anything to do with necknominations, I am begging you to stop. Get this guys story out there so that noone ends up dead because of a fucking drinking game. If you think "it won't happen to me", remember that he thought that too. It damn well can happen to you.

humour is very much encouraged, however theres humour and theres not.
I disrepectfully agree with Matt Smiley
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 10:37:54 AM »

That is just terrible, what a waste of the life of a young man, & you must be devestated.

Young people do these things, it's part of life, we all did, but most of us got lucky I suppose.

This was an interesting comment, I thought......

They have also called on Facebook to ban NekNomination videos. The site has so far refused to react.

So many sides to that argument I suppose. Personally, I think Facebook are being a little irresponsible there. Such footage would not be permitted on regular TV, but it's allowed on Social Media. The Internet has grown so fast, but legislation has not kept pace. It seems to be a medium where legislatiion is almost impossible. I imagine most prefer things as they are though.

RIP Issac.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Redsgirl

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 11:15:03 AM »

So sorry to hear about your friend.
We all seem to think we are invincible when we're young, and it's such a tragedy when things go so wrong.

If a man speaks in a forest and no woman is there to hear him, is he still wrong?
Nakor
Tinca Tinca

Serve the spider

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 01:12:03 PM »

Tragic story, RIP.

Saw this on TV over the weekend, the world could be abetter place . . .

Shit post Nakor, such a clown.

What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
Young_gun

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 01:37:14 PM »

Shit sorry to hear about your friend, i am too late as i have done one although i do think the biggest danger of the whole neck nomination is not knowing your limits. Still a bit silly but noone will remember it come a few months. Also those that have jumped in a lake straight after drinking it is just plain stupid

Twitter: @johnnybev1987
#skypokerteamhitsquad
#lovethegame
lucky_scrote

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 02:01:48 PM »

Young people will always do stupid things be it drugs, an act, a slur or whatever. I think this whole NekNominate thing has had a big impact on people because it's all over the social media sites for people to see. There are a lot more things happening without a video camera in place and it being uploaded for the whole world to see.

Personally, I think it's good that this is all over social media as it is good for awareness. If it's banned from social media then people will just stop the whole NekNominate thing but it won't stop people being idiotic and drinking dangerous amounts of alcohol. That will never stop, but you can certainly reduce it by people making better choices rather than just "banning" something.

If you left the NekNominate thing along, it's a sad fad that would fade away and if someone posted a video online a years time people would just think "That's weird, nobody does that anymore more- not cool".

Now I'm going to go and play with my yoyo and tamagotchi...

EDIT* RIP Isaac, so sad.

<3 ENSUING
stato_1 said, "banoffee pie i reckon"
stato_1 said, "this is delicious"
lucky_scrote

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 02:10:38 PM »

Sorry if anything has come off a bit rude with that message, there is no malice intended. I don't mean that it's good that Neknominate is a fad, it's quite obviously really stupid as it targets young people who aren't aware of such dangers. It's an utter shame that such a young person and someone you knew Rex has had their life taken away from them and I'm sorry for that.

<3 ENSUING
stato_1 said, "banoffee pie i reckon"
stato_1 said, "this is delicious"
Young_gun

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 02:34:04 PM »

Sorry if anything has come off a bit rude with that message, there is no malice intended. I don't mean that it's good that Neknominate is a fad, it's quite obviously really stupid as it targets young people who aren't aware of such dangers. It's an utter shame that such a young person and someone you knew Rex has had their life taken away from them and I'm sorry for that.

+1

Twitter: @johnnybev1987
#skypokerteamhitsquad
#lovethegame
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 05:18:49 PM »

Yes, pretty much my view Dan, not sure best how Facebook should handle these things, but its all desperately sad.

Fair point you make about allowing such Content to remain up, as a sort of reverse warning.

Youngsters are always going to do such things though. Which is good. Mostly.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
DMorgan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 06:36:58 PM »

Sorry to hear about your friend Rexas

I don't think that social media outlets really bare any responsibility here. They can't start arbitrarily banning things because a few people take something too far and put themselves in danger. Censorship is a very dangerous road to go down when you're dealing with adults and their freedom of speech/expression. Sadly, people that are willing to partake in this sort of one-upmanship will surely find themselves in a lot of dangerous situations in their lives and eventually something like this is going to happen.

I'm not really sure if there is any legal angle for this, but ethically I think that the pub landlord/bar staff and his friends that watched him to do this bear a big weight of responsibility. A litre and a half pitcher with a whole bottle of wine, a small bottle of vodka, a quarter bottle of whisky and a can of lager. In my opinion these parties have absolutely no grounds to claim that what they were about to witness wasn't extremely dangerous and tantamount to letting their mate walk onto a dual carriageway for a laugh. I guess we'll never know if/how much he was being pressured into doing this but either way, every one of those people present had an opportunity to prevent this persons death. I only hope it makes them think the next time a situations such as this presents itself.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 06:40:24 PM by DMorgan » Logged

George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 06:53:23 PM »

Tough one. It should be a bit of harmless fun but a few have perhaps taken it too far by drinking lethal doses of a mixture of drinks.

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 07:04:56 PM »

I'm simply amazed that people are willing to down a pint of spirits to be honest (that's 3/4 of a full bottle of booze) what do they think is gonna happen? Probably the best case scenario is blacking out and waking up in a pool of their own puke and/or piss. Doubt I could drink a lot more than that on a full night out on the piss over many hours, and I've got pretty decent sized drinking boots.
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 08:28:38 PM »

Really sorry to hear about your friend Rexas Sad  So many people don't give alcohol the respect (for want of a better word) it deserves.  If any good comes of this craze (which I hope fizzles out soon) it's hopefully that it will serve as a warning to youngsters about the dangers of overdoing the booze.

along the same lines as the vid Nakor posted, I saw this one on facebook this morning.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10200730440102843&set=vb.1817149412&type=2&theater

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
BangBang

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2014, 07:08:21 PM »

That's very unfortunate Rexas, my sincere condolences...

I'm going to Ditto Claw75's comments and hopefully this will serve as a warning to others...

"Look! There's a rhythmic ceremonial ritual coming up" ... Dr. Emmett Brown

https://twitter.com/#!/Steven_Sethi
https://www.instagram.com/stevensethi/?hl=en
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2014, 07:21:06 PM »

Really sorry to hear about your friend Rexas Sad  So many people don't give alcohol the respect (for want of a better word) it deserves.  If any good comes of this craze (which I hope fizzles out soon) it's hopefully that it will serve as a warning to youngsters about the dangers of overdoing the booze.

along the same lines as the vid Nakor posted, I saw this one on facebook this morning.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10200730440102843&set=vb.1817149412&type=2&theater

WTF adam is a good friend of mine and one of my pupils when i was teaching the rules of poker in the granary in elgin
he is on my facebook yet first i see of this post is when claire posts the video, its a small world

this is a trend round these parts now another friend did it with a maccy d when pissed

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151847450611688&set=vb.723346687&type=2&theater

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: