blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:04:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Game of Thrones - Spoilers S8E6
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 ... 64 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game of Thrones - Spoilers S8E6  (Read 158703 times)
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #660 on: August 07, 2017, 09:22:38 AM »

I have to say that was an immensely satisfying episode to watch.  Good scenes throughout, and a fairly epic battle sequence to end with (albeit not on the same scale as Battle of the Bastards, etc).

The cliffhanger at the end is very reminiscent of a chapter in the book where Tyrion goes into the water as they're battling with the stonemen and you're convinced that they've killed him off, only for another Tyrion chapter to appear down the line (to immense relief!), so I'm not convinced as to the outcome as yet.  However, if Jaime reappears then I think it would make it the first major battle where all the main characters involved survive the exchanges (the two Tarly characters are rather peripheral, so I'm not counting them if they turn out to be casualties).  I thought for a terrible moment that Bronn was going to be the one sacrificed, but it seems not.

The highlight for me were the Arya scenes, particularly the sparring session with Brienne.  Bran continues to do the creepy act, to the point where he's becoming irritating to watch (I'm hoping that's not the last we've seen of Meera too, but suspect that the Reed family, including Howland, will crop up again down the line).

The one criticism I have is that the timescales for everything seem to have been drastically shortened, compared to previously.  Based on last week's dialogue, with regard to the loan repayment, the Lannisters have supposedly travelled to Highgarden, sacked and plundered it, and returned to the periphery of King's Landing within a fortnight.  Then, within about half of this time (once they've had the news), Dany and the Dothraki have somehow travelled from Dragonstone to the same place, despite only appearing to have a single ship.  I realise they're speeding the storyline along, as they've a limited number of episodes to get through, but the same journeys were apparently taking weeks/months in the earlier series.

Overall, a very enjoyable episode, despite the above.

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #661 on: August 07, 2017, 01:03:21 PM »

Can't say I'm overly fussed about the timescales issues. If it's a trade off between action packed episodes or watching a ship sail across the narrow sea I know which I'd prefer.

If we have dragons, witches, wargs and zombies what's wrong the occasional time warp?

Arya is incredible now that she's seemingly the ultimate bad ass. Interesting to see that the Starks are becoming so pivotal to the whole story.

Thoughts on Drogon now that he's been speared? Will Qyburn have poisoned the spears? I thought it took a bit away from the battle when there was only one dragon in the battle. It was obviously never going to get a spear to the skull thus killing off Dany at the same time. Great scrap though and nice to see that they can be brought down.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
lucky_scrote

View Profile
« Reply #662 on: August 07, 2017, 01:18:03 PM »

A really really great episode and thoroughly satisfying.

As evilpie says, it's really incredible how pivotal the starks are becoming since they were falling like flies in the beginning. I can't wait for everything to unfold now.

<3 ENSUING
stato_1 said, "banoffee pie i reckon"
stato_1 said, "this is delicious"
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #663 on: August 07, 2017, 04:01:52 PM »

I have to say that was an immensely satisfying episode to watch.  Good scenes throughout, and a fairly epic battle sequence to end with (albeit not on the same scale as Battle of the Bastards, etc).

The cliffhanger at the end is very reminiscent of a chapter in the book where Tyrion goes into the water as they're battling with the stonemen and you're convinced that they've killed him off, only for another Tyrion chapter to appear down the line (to immense relief!), so I'm not convinced as to the outcome as yet.  However, if Jaime reappears then I think it would make it the first major battle where all the main characters involved survive the exchanges (the two Tarly characters are rather peripheral, so I'm not counting them if they turn out to be casualties).  I thought for a terrible moment that Bronn was going to be the one sacrificed, but it seems not.

The highlight for me were the Arya scenes, particularly the sparring session with Brienne.  Bran continues to do the creepy act, to the point where he's becoming irritating to watch (I'm hoping that's not the last we've seen of Meera too, but suspect that the Reed family, including Howland, will crop up again down the line).

The one criticism I have is that the timescales for everything seem to have been drastically shortened, compared to previously.  Based on last week's dialogue, with regard to the loan repayment, the Lannisters have supposedly travelled to Highgarden, sacked and plundered it, and returned to the periphery of King's Landing within a fortnight.  Then, within about half of this time (once they've had the news), Dany and the Dothraki have somehow travelled from Dragonstone to the same place, despite only appearing to have a single ship.  I realise they're speeding the storyline along, as they've a limited number of episodes to get through, but the same journeys were apparently taking weeks/months in the earlier series.

If you look at the map of westerose they are actually not far and quicker to go by foot than sea.

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #664 on: August 07, 2017, 05:04:36 PM »

If you look at the map of westerose they are actually not far and quicker to go by foot than sea.

Dragonstone is an island so there's no on-foot route available to anywhere.

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
Cavey007

View Profile WWW
« Reply #665 on: August 07, 2017, 05:45:39 PM »

Bran is very irritating to watch, but I guess that's just the way he is meant to be. The whole thing with Meera saying he's not really Bran any more. Annoyingly for me and my fantasy league he's just being a dick and not actually doing any visions or warging!

Great episode. As said I doubt the cliffhanger is the end of that character but a full suit of armour is pretty heavy so they'll have to do some explaining on that one, I would assume he'll loosen bits and float up.

Junior Senior

View Profile
« Reply #666 on: August 07, 2017, 07:37:29 PM »

Wow!

Dragons are a pretty big weapon!!

Really enjoyed that.

What was the chaos being a ladder dialogue with Bran and LF? I guess that refers to something he said to someone he thought wouldn't be heard?

DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #667 on: August 07, 2017, 07:38:11 PM »

Great episode, but the best bit IMO was the Ayra swordfight with whatshername.

Quite a lame cliffhanger, there is no way Jaime is dead because they would have 100% done something graphic and gory to bump him off.
Cavey007

View Profile WWW
« Reply #668 on: August 07, 2017, 07:44:07 PM »

Wow!

Really enjoyed that.

What was the chaos being a ladder dialogue with Bran and LF? I guess that refers to something he said to someone he thought wouldn't be heard?

I wondered that too, had to re-watch it with subtitles to make sure he said what I thought he said! I'm guessing same as you that Littlefinger must have said it at some point in the past

Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #669 on: August 07, 2017, 09:52:26 PM »

Great episode. As said I doubt the cliffhanger is the end of that character but a full suit of armour is pretty heavy so they'll have to do some explaining on that one, I would assume he'll loosen bits and float up.

I'm assuming it was Bronn who knocked him out of the way of the fire and who will also dive after him to take off his armour.

They should be prisoners then because it didn't look like there was much current flowing - but it's possible they can get away and have a buddy road trip back to Kings Landing.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #670 on: August 07, 2017, 10:17:49 PM »

What an episode. Fair got the heart racing

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #671 on: August 07, 2017, 10:53:55 PM »

What an episode. Fair got the heart racing

Definitely this!  Cracking episode.

Bronn was no where near a horse only moments before having taken cover himself.  Could be Dickon :sniggers: perhaps?  Probably is Bronn.

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #672 on: August 07, 2017, 11:02:00 PM »

I mean you have to suspend your disbelief about how the hell she can get dothraki and their horses off dragonstone and into  place to ambush the supply train in time but heck, fun to watch. Loved all the western cowboys and Indians imagery and then drogon turns up and it's the ultimate battle game changer

My eyes are open wide
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #673 on: August 07, 2017, 11:03:32 PM »

Only the ladder is real.... The climb is all there is.....

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #674 on: August 07, 2017, 11:03:46 PM »

Wow!

Really enjoyed that.

private convo little finger and varys season 1, little finger spoke of chaos being a ladder and now brann speaks his own words back to him

My eyes are open wide
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 ... 64 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: