blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 11:37:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272540 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Game of Thrones - Spoilers S8E6
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 ... 64 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game of Thrones - Spoilers S8E6  (Read 159551 times)
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #615 on: July 18, 2017, 09:17:48 AM »

Stayed up to watch the new series premiere last night and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Best described as a 'moving the chess pieces' episode as the alliances were solidified and strengthened.

Highlights:
Samwell's storyline in the Citadel, including the introduction of Jim Broadbent as the Arch-Maester.
The Hound's early experiences as part of the Brotherhood without Banners, facing upto some of his former demons.
Tormund's latest interaction with Brienne providing a bit of ongoing humour.

Lowlights:
Ed Sheeran's cameo appearance not resulting in an horrific on-screen death.

Mysteries:
Why are the Citadel allowing Gilly and little Sam to live with him during his training?  I thought the Citadel was strictly a 'no women allowed' venue, but they appear to have forgotten this.

I think thats only in the main library area.  Shes allowed elsewhere in the citadel

I rewatched it last night and it's a house in Oldtown, as there's a panning shot showing the Citadel tower from it before it begins.

So now I'm surprised that Sam is allowed out of the Citadel during his training.  Smiley

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #616 on: July 19, 2017, 09:01:27 AM »

interesting,if a little off beat

The surprising cultural history of the White Walkers from "Game of Thrones" http://econ.st/2uyu4tn 

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #617 on: July 24, 2017, 06:58:30 AM »

A majority said they need total silence while watching "Game of Thrones." Some said the issue had lost them friends.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/21/arts/television/game-of-thrones-talking.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #618 on: July 24, 2017, 07:27:59 AM »

I'm particularly enjoying Samwell's storyline in the new series, especially as he's becoming something of a rebel in the Citadel.  The scene with Jorah potentially gives credence to some of the fan theories I've been reading.

Arya's scene with the wolves brought back something that had been referenced in the books, but never touched on in the show until now, regarding the pack of wolves running wild led by a huge direwolf (presumably Nymeria).

No huge surprises coming from the battle at the end of the episode, in terms of casualties, at least.

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

Horneris
#5 BH

View Profile
« Reply #619 on: July 24, 2017, 01:16:19 PM »

A majority said they need total silence while watching "Game of Thrones." Some said the issue had lost them friends.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/21/arts/television/game-of-thrones-talking.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

I'm like that with any TV show. Everytime my girlfriend starts to talk I pause the show, she gets pretty tilted by it.

I thought the first half of the last nights episode was very boring. Second half a bit better but given there are only 7 episodes in this series I was hoping for more.

booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #620 on: July 24, 2017, 01:55:12 PM »

I'm like that with any TV show. Everytime my girlfriend starts to talk I pause the show, she gets pretty tilted by it.

I thought the first half of the last nights episode was very boring. Second half a bit better but given there are only 7 episodes in this series I was hoping for more.

Thin "i have a girlfriend" brag .

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #621 on: July 24, 2017, 06:19:10 PM »

I'm particularly enjoying Samwell's storyline in the new series, especially as he's becoming something of a rebel in the Citadel.  The scene with Jorah potentially gives credence to some of the fan theories I've been reading.

Arya's scene with the wolves brought back something that had been referenced in the books, but never touched on in the show until now, regarding the pack of wolves running wild led by a huge direwolf (presumably Nymeria).

No huge surprises coming from the battle at the end of the episode, in terms of casualties, at least.

I took the "that's not you" reference to mean that someone, presumably Bran was warging in to Nymeria.

Surely there's no way that Arya and in particular the horse get to live if it's not.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #622 on: July 24, 2017, 07:19:32 PM »

What are the theories?
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #623 on: July 25, 2017, 10:39:32 AM »

What are the theories?

There's one theory that the entire GoT story is written by Sam. When he was discussing the Arch maesters book title and saying it needed a more poetic title did you not think "A song of ice and fire" might fit the bill?

Don't know about the Jorah theories though....

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #624 on: July 25, 2017, 12:07:59 PM »

What are the theories?

The main one (which pre-dates Season 7, so was before Sam and Jorah were seen at the Citadel in episode 1) is that Sam would cure Jorah's greyscale and Jorah, now immune to it, would then be dispatched to Valyria on behalf of Jon/Danaerys to uncover the secrets of Valyrian steel.

Given what we've seen so far, it potentially still fits, and gives them another source of weaponry to kill white walkers in addition to the (presumed) mining of the Obsidian reserves at Dragonstone.

I found reference to it after a few viewers of Episode 1 spotted a screenshot of the cure for Greyscale in the scene where Sam found the page about Dragonstone.

Horneris
#5 BH

View Profile
« Reply #625 on: July 25, 2017, 12:14:27 PM »

I took the "that's not you" reference to mean that someone, presumably Bran was warging in to Nymeria.

Surely there's no way that Arya and in particular the horse get to live if it's not.

I think "thats not you" referred to when Arya said "thats not me" to Ned in season one when he said he wanted her to become a princess and a lady.

I think she was saying Nymeria shouldn't be a pet again now she has her own pack and is wild.

Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #626 on: July 25, 2017, 12:44:46 PM »

I think "thats not you" referred to when Arya said "thats not me" to Ned in season one when he said he wanted her to become a princess and a lady.

I think she was saying Nymeria shouldn't be a pet again now she has her own pack and is wild.

Same here, but only after someone referenced the original quote (which I'd long since forgotten about).

On first viewing, I thought she meant it wasn't actually Nymeria she was facing.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #627 on: July 25, 2017, 12:54:31 PM »

What are the theories?

The main one (which pre-dates Season 7, so was before Sam and Jorah were seen at the Citadel in episode 1) is that Sam would cure Jorah's greyscale and Jorah, now immune to it, would then be dispatched to Valyria on behalf of Jon/Danaerys to uncover the secrets of Valyrian steel.

Given what we've seen so far, it potentially still fits, and gives them another source of weaponry to kill white walkers in addition to the (presumed) mining of the Obsidian reserves at Dragonstone.

I found reference to it after a few viewers of Episode 1 spotted a screenshot of the cure for Greyscale in the scene where Sam found the page about Dragonstone.

I love how people manage to spot these things that give clues as to what's happening or going to happen.

Did you see the one where someone noticed the sea adjacent to the wall in the opening credits has frozen over meaning that the white walkers can now just walk round it rather than have to find a way through it....

Awesome.

Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #628 on: July 25, 2017, 01:05:08 PM »

One thing the series has played down, compared to the books, is that quite a few of the Stark children appear to have warg-like abilities.  The show only references it with regard to Bran, but in the books Jon Snow is also a warg and, from memory, the scenes referencing the pack of wolves led by Nymeria are all from dreams that Arya has which suggests she also has some sort of connection with them.

I'm currently re-reading the books, but haven't got this far into it yet to refresh my memory.

I also want to update my list of storyline differences, particularly with regard to the status of the various 'dead in the book, alive in the series' and vice versa characters.

GRRM announced yesterday that Winds of Winter "might" get published in 2018, but the article then listed several other books that were also in the pipeline and potentially being worked on at the same time.  I'll stick with the approach of believing it when it actually happens, and hoping he actually gets them all finished someday.

rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #629 on: July 26, 2017, 03:19:27 AM »

Will this lightning pace carry on? It felt soooo fast paced to me. Sand Snakes felt super gg when their scene was just annoying, fireballs were pretty weird too. More evidence of magic on Euron's side? We miss out on the horn blowing fruit cake from the books, which is part of the reason he is seceded power in them. Theon feels like too much of a giveaway, very interested to see where he goes. Dany is becoming less and less likeable as a character imo. Varys boss as always. Davos to meet Melisandre, could be fireworks there.

"For those that don't know, Euron's ship, the Silence, is crewed by men he's spared during his pirate raids and taken from other crews, but he takes their tongues from their mouths so that they can not speak, communicate with each other, talk back, or mutiny against him. In the scene where Yara is being held hostage, and Theon is looking around, you can see Euron's men cutting the tongues from the crew. I figured to most people this just looked like pointless torture, but he's actually taking their tongues to replace the men that died during the raid."

from reddit, I totally missed it. Thought it was a gold tooth being taken.

[21:05:17] Andrew W: you wasted a non spelling mistakepost?
[21:11:08] Patrick Leonard: oll
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 ... 64 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: