blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:23:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Saints and Sinners Southampton FC
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 ... 51 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Saints and Sinners Southampton FC  (Read 145011 times)
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: January 01, 2015, 06:08:19 PM »

what a perfect start to the new year

still in the top 4 and we are now just over half way in the season
having played every time once and arsenal twice i am still not going to get to excited
but we have as good a chance as we are likely to get for ECL next season

koeman just needs to keep his head during the transfer window
sneijder is being linked to us aswell as the top sides because of koeman
but IMHO would not be great due to the wages he would want compared to the other players

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
Mark_Porter

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: January 02, 2015, 10:48:50 AM »

Another great day out yesterday, we have defended so well this season. Not sure what has happened to Mane the last few weeks either but he has been exceptional playing just off Pelle. Shame we lose him to Africa but looking forward to seeing Eljero Elia who is a similar player.

No chance of Sneijder, Koeman has said he has the same agent so knows the wages would be impossible. Not sure he would really fit in the system anyway.

Need a striker, I think that would be Koemans priority given J-Rod has no return date.
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: January 02, 2015, 10:50:57 AM »

Really not sure about Elia has been awful for Werder since he has been there some talent there and lots of pace though, hardly a risk tbf

Sneijder would be a massive risk, as Mark says not a chance you could pay his wages and i am not sure he actually improves you a lot in his current state
Mark_Porter

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: January 02, 2015, 10:54:07 AM »

Would like to see us go for Danny Ings. I don't think he will go this window but try and tie something up for the Summer when his contract is up.

Southern boy and think he is good enough.
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: January 02, 2015, 11:17:36 AM »

Will Saints be taking the FA Cup seriously this year guys?  I seem to remember Potch fielding reserves last year?
Mark_Porter

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: January 02, 2015, 11:26:17 AM »

We have a relatively small squad and have a lot to play for in the league.

I suspect we will be taking it as seriously as we did the League Cup. I wouldn't expect a completely different team - perhaps 2 or 3 changes. Ipswich are a decent side so need to take them seriously.

Saying that, I have never had any love for the FA Cup so am not particularly bothered. It would be nice to have a run but it's also a good opportunity to blood the burgeoning talent that continues to flow through.
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: January 02, 2015, 11:43:25 AM »

Indeed - at some point 4th has to become a realistic prospect.  Especially if the like of Arsenal/Liverpool continue to be inconsistent.

Starting to think Spurs might even come up on the rail as well.
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: January 02, 2015, 08:22:55 PM »

i always thought that we would not be in top 6 after December's and early January's fixtures
but the 4 points in last 2 games has given us a great chance now to go for a top 4 spot
question has to be now though what would be preferable 4th in league or potentially winning FA cup

money wise saints would be better off if we can get into ECL but 4th spot only get us a play off with a side from another top nation
saints squad certainly isnt big enough for ECL and bringing in enough players would start to fracture the spirit built up

maybe going for the FA and a uefa spot this season would be better in long run while a squad in put together

as for transfers i would like to see townsend come in if he is affordable

Kmac84

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: January 02, 2015, 08:39:18 PM »

Does Champions League/Europa League football put Soton at risk of relegation? 

I know it was muted on TfT as a bet for this season and I think Koeman has done a tremendous job by getting the best outhis new signings and seemingly replacing much of the overpriced players they moved on. 

Realistically though are Southampton at the level yet that they could take on Europe and EPL duties?

I root for Soton almost every week as I have a man crush on Wanyama.   When he was originally being hung out to dry by Celtic supporters I remained steadfast in my support and then it all changed way to Hearts on Sunday afternoon and he never looked back. 

Will Soton hold onto him in the summer? 
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: January 02, 2015, 09:16:24 PM »

TfT got a bet on saints to go down this year recommended by me
it was a good value bet got on at ~16.0 and i recomended we greened out at ~6.0
after the first game but it never happened

if saints get 4th we will need to play off to get into ECL against one of the bigger nations
if they get through that then they will have plenty of money to spend but realistically
we will have trouble getting the players in that we would need without offering seriously increased wages

even then take a look at man city its not easy to get the results to progress
it would also seriously hamper saints next season in the EPL

Mark_Porter

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: January 03, 2015, 12:33:36 AM »

http://sportsworld.nbcsports.com/pl-download-the-southampton-way/

This is a great documentary on Southampton - an insight into the youth system and general running of the club. Moneyball ftw.

As for Europe/Champions League putting us at risk of relegation, the squad would just be adapted - the same mix of home grown talent through from the pipeline and more overseas imports. I don't think it would hurt us, would just need to be planned for accordingly.

Europe will always mean you can attract a higher calibre of player anyway regardless of wages. Lallana didn't leave this Summer for money, ditto Schneiderlin wanting to move on. They want to progress themselves and play on a bigger stage (+ more money).

It's hard not to like Wanayama, he works so hard every game. Passing can be a bit ropey but a good tackler and we have other passers. Never heard anyone linked with him and he seems happy so no reason he will leave.

Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: January 03, 2015, 04:27:46 AM »

I really enjoyed that program mark

Hopefully I will get down to visit my brother sometime this year
And fit in a game might have to be a pre season game as with most
Clubs wheelchair sections are normally over subscribed

Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: January 06, 2015, 01:35:34 AM »

rumour mill is still flying about koemans intrest in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruno_Martins_Indi

would be a huge signing for the saints as we lack depth and cover in the defence
but our defence has been one of the best in the league

might be a better signing this summer depending on if toby stays or goes
i am presuming ryan will stay

Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: January 07, 2015, 01:39:19 PM »

Shocked but pleased to see the saints/Ipswich game being shown on the bbc ahead of 2 all prem replays but I guess they see that as best chance of an upset

Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: January 08, 2015, 11:03:01 AM »

Rickie lambert being lined up for a move to palace will be a shame he must of know when he signed he was unlikely to get many starts

But with sturidge out and mario.out of favour yu would of thought he would of been given a run

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 ... 51 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: