blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:02:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Devon and Cornwall Recommendations
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Devon and Cornwall Recommendations  (Read 3975 times)
Woodsey

View Profile
« on: July 29, 2014, 12:31:29 AM »

Was planning to head up to west of Scotland next weekend for 10 days or so but looks like the weather has killed that idea.

Sooooo, looks like we will probably head to the south west. Have basically been to weymouth and east from there, but never been in the other direction, so any recs for nice places in Devon and Cornwall please? The plan is for camping unless the weather gets shite down there too...
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 12:59:58 AM »

Never had you down as a camper, Woodsey!

I'm guessing, from your post, that you've done Bournemouth and surrounding areas?

Think mum has some friends at work that head that way in the summer, so I'll see if I can get her to ask about at work for you.

Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 01:24:56 AM »

I'm guessing, from your post, that you've done Bournemouth and surrounding areas?

Think mum has some friends at work that head that way in the summer, so I'll see if I can get her to ask about at work for you.

Yeah been to most of the obvious places east from there. I don't mind camping its fun if the weather is ok and quite enjoy a bit of outdoorsy stuff, but if the weather is shite forget it. Doesn't have to be a beach resort either, dartmoor, exmoor or anywhere else is up for consideration also, I just have zero knowledge of the area basically.

It's partly down to cash also as it's hard to get anywhere half decent to stay for less than £75 per room during the school holidays, I just see that as wasted money really. Also I kind of object to doing the best part of £2k on a 10 day holiday in the UK if I'm honest!!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 01:27:43 AM by Woodsey » Logged
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 01:51:15 AM »

Yeah been to most of the obvious places east from there. I don't mind camping its fun if the weather is ok and quite enjoy a bit of outdoorsy stuff, but if the weather is shite forget it. Doesn't have to be a beach resort either, dartmoor, exmoor or anywhere else is up for consideration also, I just have zero knowledge of the area basically.

It's partly down to cash also as it's hard to get anywhere half decent to stay for less than £75 per room during the school holidays, I just see that as wasted money really. Also I kind of object to doing the best part of £2k on a 10 day holiday in the UK if I'm honest!!

I did a week on Dartmoor with the mob, but that was 15 years ago now, and I can remember it like it was yesterday. Lots of good hills/hiking you can do, and plenty of boozers as well Smiley

I've never looked into going anywhere in the UK, unless it's been a weekend on the piss, and hotels were never cheap then. I probably would as well, when you can do a week in Vegas for that if you're not daft.

taximan007

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 05:24:14 AM »

Cornwall is just awesome (dislike Newquay especially in the summer)

Neve done camping but this May give you some ideas https://www.pitchup.com/campsites/England/South_West/Cornwall/?gclid=CL-TuNvQ6b8CFRHHtAod2SkAxw&gclsrc=aw.ds

humbled to be included alongside such esteemed people - thank you
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 05:44:27 AM »

Do you have children? What ages/gender?
Lots of good days out down there for all ages. And lots of great beaches, especially on the north coast.
Holywell Bay, just south of Newquay has great memories for me, went there with my parents and took my girls there.

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 07:43:23 AM »

Do you have children? What ages/gender?
Lots of good days out down there for all ages. And lots of great beaches, especially on the north coast.
Holywell Bay, just south of Newquay has great memories for me, went there with my parents and took my girls there.

No kids mate  Smiley
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 07:46:00 AM »

Some cracking little places on the coast. Looe and Polperro in the south east of Cornwall are charming places. If you like fish, Padstow on the north coast is a lovely little town, chunks of which are owned by Rick Stein. It was an Anglo Saxon hamlet, going right back to 500AD.

In Devon, the Riviera would be the obvious: Torquay, Paignton, Brixham. Paignton has a 14th century church and the impressive Oldway Mansion, which was the home built for the Singer family (famous for their sewing machines - if you've ever walked past an All Saints clothes shop, that's what's in the window).

Can't really go wrong.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 09:27:26 AM »

Plenty of top ideas in the thread, all lovely places to visit and the drive between them all is nice too.   Pop down to Lands End to say you've been there.

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 09:41:00 AM »

North Devon, often ignored compared to the touristy stuff but extremely under-rated

Croyde Bay is stunning

Woolacombe beach a delight

stay here http://www.mullacottfarm.co.uk/

drive to Westward Ho! for the day. fantastic coastal walk, another great beach too

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 01:09:04 PM »

North Devon, often ignored compared to the touristy stuff but extremely under-rated

Croyde Bay is stunning

Woolacombe beach a delight

stay here http://www.mullacottfarm.co.uk/

drive to Westward Ho! for the day. fantastic coastal walk, another great beach too

We used to go to the NALGO holiday camp at Croyde Bay every year.  It is still there but upgraded a bit.  Can be a bit grim round there if it rains all week, but used to love it.   

They have proper surf schools there these days too.  I used to hire a board that was probably way too small and splash about a bit, but you really want one as big as a barge.  A big fella to push you on to a wave helps too.  If you have never tried it, give it a go, you won't be doing more than standing up and going foward but is a great way to spend a few hours.  In your head, you'll be riding them barrels.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2014, 02:15:58 PM »

In Devon, the Riviera would be the obvious: Torquay, Paignton, Brixham. Paignton has a 14th century church and the impressive Oldway Mansion, which was the home built for the Singer family (famous for their sewing machines - if you've ever walked past an All Saints clothes shop, that's what's in the window).

Probably the last places I would have expected Tal to post about. They all do the job but are basically common as much seaside resorts.

Last time I went to Devon I stayed in Salcombe. Probs not ideal for this trip though as it is pricey
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2014, 03:52:50 PM »

You can get a boat from Brixham to Torquay for only about £2 return (and visa versa I assume), it's a bargain and a nice way to spend a bit of time.  The big wheel in Torquay is worth a go on if it's not too busy.

MrDickie

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2014, 04:28:01 PM »

Stayed at this gorgeous place once. Right on the river and a walk into Lynmouth on a sunny evening has the most amazing views ever.

http://www.caravandevon.co.uk/camp.html
pokerfan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2014, 05:01:54 PM »

Used to go to Perranporth as a youth, there's a naturally formed swimming pool on the beach which fills at high tide then warms through the day.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: